UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mea culpa. I stand before you a humbled Great Dane fan . . . I agree with everything that all of you said. I think I had just a fleeting thought about this, and wrote it down too quickly -- the thought had struck me when I realized only two UMBC players were sitting on the bench . . . and I do remember watching the UMBC coach and he didn't seem to be peeved about it (after all, he was the one who suspended the players) -- the handshakes after were normal. I think there are probably other ways that a team would go beyond bounds -- like mocking the losers or showboating (which UA was NOT doing). It helped, too, to show folks in the stand (and maybe some coaches there too) that most of these guys coming off the bench will be playing for us next year, and they are promising.

And finally, I am a huge fan of Coach Abe in everything that she does (I wonder how many other coaches take to the microphone after the game to address the crowd?). When I was nearing retirement from the UA faculty a few years ago (and as one of probably the 10% of faculty who actually strongly support the Ath Dept), in Coach Abe's 2nd year, I was chair of a subcommittee compiling information about the Athletic Department required NCAA review (every 10 years maybe?), and a colleague and I interviewed her at some length. My colleague and I walked away saying, "Geez, if each of us had a D-1 level BB daughter, we would want her playing for Coach Abe, and not just for on-court reasons." I sometimes even wonder if maybe Coach Abe could take the men for a practice or two and teach something about intensity and non-stop energy and defense.

Dane4ever, Thoughtful last post. Everyone else made valid points one way or the other, too. I think there are so many factors involved in deciding when to pull your starters. You certainly don't want to leave in your elite players and play to the point of absolutely humiliating another team. The desire for payback can be a powerful tool the next time around. I think Coach Brown played it well yesterday. It must have been great for the bench players to get in a number of minutes in the game, especially in a tournament game. They will remember those minutes for quite a while. It's also important to rest the starters, particularly for this afternoon.

Thanks for your perspective on faculty sentiments toward athletics.