UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Conference Talk

Michigan_Dane

How is it that New Yorkers and New Englanders have such a small view geography to think Albany New York is too far away from Buffalo New York or neighboring state Ohio?

How far do western teams like San Diego State have to travel? How about the SEC or Hawaii? The northeast conferences expectations are out of whack .

Our overall athletic budget is 15million a year. You know what the smallest budget is in the MAC? I'll give you a hint, it's Bowling Green...It's easy to talk about moving up without a dime (relatively speaking) in ones pocket.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Stony Brook's budget is $25M last I checked (see below) Higher than a number of MAC schools. Higher than 4 MAC schools to be exact. Higher than another half dozen FBS schools.

The primary difference between them and us is they've had the revenue boost of a stadium for a decade. Even with such a large budget gap we seem to be beating Stony Brook.

Do you disagree? If we are playing Stony Brook why can't we play MAC schools with a SMALLER budget?

Delaware at $31M is double our budget and larger than nearly every MAC school. Why can we play Delaware but not Buffalo?

Point is the CAA has budgets as large or larger than the MAC. Why not be FBS if it's an option?

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/schools/finances/?fullsite=true

Stony Brook's budget is $25M last I checked (see below) Higher than a number of MAC schools. Higher than 4 MAC schools to be exact. Higher than another half dozen FBS schools.

The primary difference between them and us is they've had the revenue boost of a stadium for a decade. Even with such a large budget gap we seem to be beating Stony Brook.

Do you disagree? If we are playing Stony Brook why can't we play MAC schools with a SMALLER budget?

Delaware at $31M is double our budget and larger than nearly every MAC school. Why can we play Delaware but not Buffalo?

Point is the CAA has budgets as large or larger than the MAC. Why not be FBS if it's an option?

http://www.usatoday..../?fullsite=true

Because money talks and BS walks...If we went into the MAC or even the CAA with our present budget we'd be dead last or second to last in the CAA. To even go into the CAA and compete there we need a significant bump in the order of 5-7mil per. I'd love to move into the MAC or the CAA but funding is a serious concern, I think you'd agree.

Edited by Clickclack

If football could squeeze out 4 to 5 wins this year and the administration lobby's SUNY Central, the MAC etc we might have a shot. The administration and SUNY would need to put up or shut up. Does Zimpher want SUNY Centers to have a higher profile or not?

Buffalo got a lot of help getting into the MAC in 1996. I'm sure their budget was tiny in relation to existing members. I'm sure MAC members scoffed at admitting SUNY Buffalo but it eventually worked out.

Moving up a conference is rarely easy. That's true for almost every college. Maryland and Rutgers will have a tough time in the Big 10. We're not unique. That said you don't improve if you stay in your comfort zone.

An article this morning pegged our budget at $16M. That's up a few million in a short time. I remember $14M as the old number. Stony Brook is $25M. I can't see us not getting there in a few years especially if we expand the stadium. $25M is solidly in MAC territory.

The problem as I see it is we don't have Cuomo or Zimpher pandering to Albany like they do for Buffalo. Anything for Buffalo and Nano but Albany.... no help to date.

If football could squeeze out 4 to 5 wins this year and the administration lobby's SUNY Central, the MAC etc we might have a shot. The administration and SUNY would need to put up or shut up. Does Zimpher want SUNY Centers to have a higher profile or not?

Buffalo got a lot of help getting into the MAC in 1996. I'm sure their budget was tiny in relation to existing members. I'm sure MAC members scoffed at admitting SUNY Buffalo but it eventually worked out.

Moving up a conference is rarely easy. That's true for almost every college. Maryland and Rutgers will have a tough time in the Big 10. We're not unique. That said you don't improve if you stay in your comfort zone.

How soon are you thinking of moving to FBS maybe I'm misunderstanding you in thinking within the next year or two, which I think is impossible.

On budgets, UB's was around $8M overall and MBB was under $800K when we were invited. But In those days it was competitive among MAC budgets. That was up from just a $2M overall budget when UB re-joined D-1.

The MAC was on an expansion spree to start football divisions and a title game in '97. UB was announced as a MAC member in spring 1996 (only 5 years after leaving D2) when NIU and Marshall were also announced. UB joined in '98 for all but football, with a waiver requiring stadium expansion to 30K and adding baseball and softball by '99. That was remarkable for the MAC and NCAA. Why did they bend over backwards for UB? Other than gaining funding for UB Stadium in the early 90's for the University Games, SUNY and NYS didn't help UB enter the MAC. Pataki's administration was cutting SUNY funding and students were protesting at that time.

The keys were:

- Though athletics didn't have leaders experienced in 1A football, UB had the right relationships and some good fortune. The MAC commish back then was once a UB FB assistant, a former NIU head coach, and was the Mid-Con commish when UB was a member. The 4th paragraph in this story from a former Mid-Con official sums it up well: http://www.theseniorreports.com/lemons.htm

- UB had decades of Major College/D-1 history that included playing MAC teams in football ('62-'70). We played most sports D-1 in the 70's. And even after the SUNY scholarship ban in '77 UB played a few sports at the D-1 level into the '80's, mainly baseball and hockey. Both sports were dropped in '88 when the ban was lifted and UB announced the 'Run to D-1'. So we were no stranger to MAC teams

-UB was invited by unanamous vote among MAC presidents. Commihs Ippoliti praised UB as "bringing a lot to the league," which traditionally has been viewed as an Ohio conference. "We need to expand our perimeters" and UB, he said, will provide the MAC "with a major media market and a national identity that we've never had before."