UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

NCAA Tourney: vs. Mount St. Mary's -- Tues @ 6:40PM

Can anyone explain how the $1.5 mil payout works for a win in the play in game?

My understanding is that in each game you participate (including Dayton) the conference NOT the team gets a unit. Each unit is worth approximately $270k this year...and the payout is such that the conference gets $270k per year for six years.

So a win in Dayton would equal approximately 3 million dollars over a period of 6 years. The money is then split among the schools and a portion is kept to run the conference.

Keep in mind every year a there are both units falling off our being added as some expire and others like this year are added to the heap.

Thx. On wylands show he said albany is playing for 1.5 mil so I guess people might not realize it's split between the America east

Correct, the school doesn't get the money, the conference does. However all schools get a cut of that money.

• Replies 182
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the deal (and Click is generally correct):

1. School gets' the cash and gives to the conference the full-boat. The full-boat is split in single year installments, paid over 5 years. (I believe the 6 year period was changed with the new TV deal to a 5 year period).

2. The Conference, generally speaking, will pay the school's travel fees off the top

3. The rest of the schools split what's left.

The real questions are:

1. Does the AE give a "play" share, e.g. a double share for playing in the game. A lot of conferences do such.

2. Does UML get any of the conference monies until they are eligible?

If Albany wins, the AE will pay for their travel to Orlando and back (NCAA pays for Dayton). Then, the conference will split the remaining monies (probably around 2.8 million) among the teams over 5 years.

Edited by Dane96

So after our travel expenses, we don't get any extra off the top since we're the ones representing AE? You'd think we could at least get a year of free Paesan's or something!

You'll have to sink a layup, a free throw and a three pointer while a loud obnoxious woman screams at you if you want Paesan's for a year. If you catch my meaning...

Edited by Clickclack

So after our travel expenses, we don't get any extra off the top since we're the ones representing AE? You'd think we could at least get a year of free Paesan's or something!

You'll have to sink a layup, a free throw and a three pointer while a loud obnoxious woman screams at you if you want Paesan's for a year. If you catch my meaning...

But don't worry...if you don't get free Paesan's for a year, you'll still get a lunch box...or t-shirt...or maybe even a 4yr old TV with no warranty.

This, I don't know. Every conference is different. For fans of the "Deadliest Catch", think of it as the crew vs. captain share. Let's say there are 9 conference teams (crew) then they may add a mythical 10th team to make up a "captains" share. The Captain (the tourney team) would get 2 of the 10 shares. So it's not a true double share based on 9 teams...but it is a double share nonetheless.

Make sense? And again, I don't know if our league is structured like that AND if UML negotiated shares while they were transitioning.

In short, the share money is NOT a lot of money. If we win, it's probably anywhere from 20-40k per year per conference team. I'm sure we could get a "make-up" from the CAA if we left.

Seriously. Although some folks here don't like the PIG...I'm super excited because unlike UConn, Duke, and VA...we actually have a chance to win. This makes the stakes MUCH MUCH MUCH higher...instead of just looking to put forth a good showing and not get embarrassed by 40.