UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Next Siena Game

I agree with Click that this is good experience for a young team.

I am slightly amused that:

-Many Siena fans were killing us when we were in the CIT a couple years ago.

-The first round CBI game was two teams with losing records against Albany - Siena 0-1, SBU 1-2

-The third round CBI game was two teams with losing records against Vermont - Siena 0-1, Illinois State 0-1

College basketball can be a funny game if you let it be.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

$iena is ferociously detested by some on the board, almost like their enrollment application was rejected to the college.

The are detested by many as they should be, but it nothing to do with anyone wanting to go there. It is their arrogance combined with lack of earned accomplishments.

I've never really understood this.

Siena is a fine school for a regional college. It's not Albany (like ESPN and CBS sports, I refuse to use the "U"), and I don't think it could ever be. Siena serves a largely local population with a decent undergraduate liberal arts program. Comparing it to Albany is, I suppose, like comparing Canisus to Buffalo or Manhattan to Stony Brook. What's the comparison ?

There are other "national" small schools in the area, like Union and RPI (and maybe Skidmore) -- Siena isn't in that league and I don't think they pretend to be. Pick whatever axis you want - student body, doctoral programs, and, probably the most important, faculty strength (by all accounts we pay our junior faculty 30-40% more which does attract talent, and the tenured faculty are absolutely top tier).

And here's a fun one for you - based on outcomes. Albany grads have about a 2x Siena ROI over their careers and higher starting and mid-career salaries. This shouldn't come as a surprise.

http://www.payscale.com/college-education-value-2013

http://www.payscale.com/college-salary-report-2014/full-list-of-schools

And this is *before* we have an engineering school.

My gosh - are we really that bothered by their basketball team ?

The sports thing is fun -- the small regional college has, for them, a big-time basketball program. This makes them competitive with a next-door national university's "little time" mid-major program.

I know Siena gets the "local love" from the hometown newspaper. Who cares ? When an academic David can keep pace with the academic Goliath -even if it's just in a sport or two - that should be fun. Maybe they'll "hang tough" and be the little school that could. That's great !

Now if it were Binghamton we were talking about....

Thank you for this -- well-reasoned, supported by facts, the "who cares about them" theme is justified (even when it comes to the TU), and I agree with it all. I like the "fun" aspect of it, and the head-to-head rivalries in certain sports (don't we win most of those year-in, year-out?) -- and I notice that in Sunday's TU, even with the -- shall we say-- "disappointing" season Albany men's lacrosse is in right now (but it's far from being over), we still got the bigger play, even though Siena also won.

McElroy writes a letter to the editor in the T-U The Capital Region is UAlbany's team, thanks fans for their support. Not sure I would've worded it that way, but a nice gesture.

time to thank the fans for their support by getting them either another home game or seats in which they can see the action if they continue to play LCC :)

Obvioulsy we are the capital districts team. Even though RPI and Union do well in hockey, UA is the only school with more than 1 division 1 sport.

Edited by bob87

I agree completely - the game should be at SEFCU every other year. We'll sell it out and it will do a lot for on-campus support for the program. As it stands, Siena gets a lopsided benefit from the relationship that goes beyond the basketball program.

Would Stony Brook play Manhattan this way ? (or substitute Buffalo / Canisus). I know the comparison isn't perfect, but pretty close.

I agree completely - the game should be at SEFCU every other year. We'll sell it out and it will do a lot for on-campus support for the program. As it stands, Siena gets a lopsided benefit from the relationship that goes beyond the basketball program.

Would Stony Brook play Manhattan this way ? (or substitute Buffalo / Canisus). I know the comparison isn't perfect, but pretty close.

I'm in favor of canceling it...have written McElroy about it unless it's a true home and home.

I can't think of 1 other situation were a low major has hosted a mid major year after year

I can't think of 1 other situation were a low major has hosted a mid major year after year

And they will KEEP doing it until our leadership stands up and says enough is enough...Take a break and revisit this again in 5 years. Truth be told if I was a Siena fan I wouldn't give UA an inch either.