UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Albany Law

danefan, you make my point. The President of the Board of Trustees is an Albany Law grad.

And a UAlbany grad.

I didn't make your point. Your point was that the Albany Law alumni base would have objections to it. I don't see (1) a truly active alumni base or (2) any serious objections.

I agree it needs to be seriously looked at and all the T's crossed and I's dotted. I just don't have any of the same concerns that you seem to. Just my opinion though.

Edited by danefan

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Clickclack, I am a graduate of UA and Albany Law. I also contribute a fair amount of money to both institutions. Both are very successful but for different reasons. While law students learn a lot of law the primary goal of a law school education is to learn the think, speak and write like a lawyer.

I understand your point about the purpose of a law school. What I don't understand, your point that when/if UA takes over, if for instance there was a full acquisition, that the "administrators" would somehow stop teaching potential law professionals how to 'think, speak and write like lawyers'...Do you think they are going to relive everyone associated with Albany Law of their duties and put a bunch of pencil pushing admins in charge with zero law experience?

Certainly Albany Law board and UA board have lots to discuss about the potential benefits, drawbacks, access to greater resources, academic support, economies of scale etc. This question needs careful review and further study undoubtedly. I'm just not sure I agree with the premise of your post and your conclusion as to the success of this endeavor.

Edited by Clickclack

The point I am making, not so well, is that Albany Law has a long cultural history. The Board of Trustees is loaded with Albany Law alums. The Board makes all critical decisions and most alums like it that way. With that said, if New York is going to fund another public law school Albany Law would, for many reasons, be an attractive fit.

I doubt Albany Law alums are going to permit this to happen.

Why? I'm an Albany Law alumni and have actively lobbied for this combination for a few years. Most people in the legal industry outside of the capital region already think the schools are the same.

Despite the fact that most lawyers are terrible businessmen, there is no denying the synergies and cost savings in this combination.

There is no good argument against it from Albany Law's perspective.

Id. (+1).

Here's the actual email (with the earlier statement appended at the bottom):

Dear Alumni,

You may have seen reports in the Capital Region media about Albany Law School and University at Albany discussing possible deeper alliances with our two institutions. I write you directly to let you know these are preliminary discussions.

The two schools currently share several joint degree programs and they represent a strong foundation for the development of additional programs to meet the needs of our students and graduates in the years to come. In addition, there may be potential operational synergies to consider.

At this stage, as the media has reported, the conversations are informal and best described as “open-ended.” As discussions progress, we expect that key stakeholders of both institutions will be engaged through the process. Ultimately our goal is to build on the reputations for excellence and innovation that our respective institutions enjoy.

We will keep you apprised of developments as the process unfolds. Pasted below is a joint statement, which I co-signed with President Robert Jones, that went to Albany Law School faculty and staff and to University at Albany faculty.

Sincerely,

Penelope Andrews

President & Dean

I definitely don't read the email to mean they're (only) planning on more joint degrees. It says that there are currently joint degrees..and that there may be opportunities to share and/or merge operations.

I agree with clack..pretty boilerplate language at this point. They already have joint degrees..so if the possible goal were only to add a few more..I don't think that's something the presidents of both institutions would be laying this type of groundwork for.

Now..whether or not something significant will come out of this in the end..that's obviously anyone's guess.