UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Much whining on the HC board about the helmet-to-helmet hit (and a hit out of bounds, and Parker pushed off to get open for the TD) though a couple thought the hit was legal. One other point was the action is supposed to stop when the ball carrier loses his helmet, or is he no longer the carrier once he fumbles?

My question is about that "illegal block" when Gontarek signals fair catch, the punt goes into the end zone, HC player runs into Gontarek, and Gontarek is penalized. No replay or explanation, though announcers said we should have been called for too many on the field. But the actual call meant we started on the two-yard-line instead of the twenty (or rekick if the other penalty were called).

Kyle Jordan (#31) is being credited with the hit (on the telecast, the T-U, and Morrisons' interview) but he came in from the side to stop Guld, maybe stripped the ball, but I think it was Sam Gray (#97) who fought thru a double team and hit the runner head on (Cross fans say he "launched himself", but that's a lot to accomplish on a dive play).

Not sure how many times I saw JoJo McClary (#8) fall down while trying to cover or tackle a receiver.

I don't think there is any way to make that call on a dive play up the middle even if it was helmet to helmet. That will NEVER be called in the middle of the line on a play like that. I've watched it a bunch of times and it looks as if he his him in the chest area and almost looks like the RB just runs into him as opposed to him launching to make a hit.

As for missed calls, there were a couple on HC in pass coverage that the UA sideline was not happy about. It goes both ways.

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Fiacchi looked the same as last year. Unsteady in the pocket. Happy feet which led to inaccurate throws.

80 catches everything. A good pass catching TE can change a game.

87 hasn't caught a ball since 2012. He shouldn't be a first option anymore until he proves he can catch a pass.

Defense looked solid except the nickel package which seemed to give up lost of the years on 11-14 yard sit down routes.

I think we need to throw the ball a little more. At least to make the game exciting.

Calls definitely went both ways. There could have been a pass interference call a few times.

Gattuso also definitely tried to take a TO that we didn't have.

But for the most part the refs let the players play which is all I ask for.

Cole King needs to catch the ball in traffic. Parker does this well. I was impressed by Gontarek looks very good. Offensive line needs to improve and the d line needs to improve on the pass rush. I thought the front seven looked good against the run and got to the corner real well.

Poor game really. A lot of LUCK, but I'll take it. Besides the fumble {why did HC not take a knee twice with 44 seconds--game over?? or even if they were allowed only one knee; than UA gets the ball deep in its own territory with what 19 seconds and no time outs--I did not understand HC coach saying there was too much time left to take a knee}. The missed field goal after UA gave up at total of 75 yards on two 3rd and 15 plays, really saved UA's butt. Also, Fiacchi throwing into double and triple coverage pretty much all day, lucky not intercepted at all.

I thought the attendance was well more than 6800? I still do not understand how the counting is done and if the berm is counted or not [as someone else asked and I have asked a number of times in other posts].

I'm sure the berm is counted. Many of the lower gold seats were empty, and there were some hundreds of open seats on the visitors' side and the ends of the grandstand (like around the band).

BTW I counted the band at about 43, maybe six or eight more than last year. They could've done more than one song at halftime, though.

Really worried about QB play going forward as well as the secondary. Pretty happy with the rest especially the front 7 on D.

Is there a QB in the wings for next year? Fiacchi is really not good enough at this level...sorry if that's to harsh.

There are five QBs on the roster: Fiacchi, Freshman Shanley, Redshirt Freshman Sweeney, Juniors Harding and Smith. Coach said preseason that Smith is more of a runner.

It's funny. Look at Fiacchi's final line..19-31, 182 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT. That's not going to light the world on fire..but certainly not bad. The quick passes at the line worked well..and the passes to Parker were effective. Most of the other shots down field weren't working..whether that was Fiacchi, the receivers or HC's secondary..or a combo of those..we'll likely see over the next few games.

Defense gave up some big plays..but only allowed the Crusaders into the end zone once. And they held HC's offense scoreless in the second half.

Definitely much to improve on..but there were certainly some positives..and a win's a win.

Now, I'm dying to know why... on our last offensive drive and 4 down set... we chose to go deep on 2nd and 9

and 3rd and 9??? We had brought it out to the 30 already and were moving the ball. And we had 5 minutes left on the clock.

This bothered me also. In the first twenty minutes of the game Fiacchi was trusted only once to throw the ball downfield. Then, needing ten yards to keep their drive alive, they twice try for 30+ yard sideline routes.

Look back in this thread. I posted in anger about the two long passes right when they happened. Didn't like that at all.

During those two downs, would there have been a progression of reads in those plays, or was he ONLY looking deep to the wide receiver each play?