UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

image.jpg

Using that video..here's a screen shot of our first contact with a Delaware player. It was a UAlbany player hitting the Blue Hen who had just recovered the ball. However..I don't believe that's who the penalty was called on. It was called on Nicastro..who is above and to the right of the contact..clearly nowhere near any Delaware player. In fact..the first contact Nicastro had with a Delaware player was when he was tackled after recovering the fumble.

And if I remember correctly..the flag was thrown near our 40 at the far side of the field. Not by either of the two officials in this screen shot who are actually near the play/Nicastro.

Even Delaware fans are saying it was a blown call. It's not even a case of it being a close call..it was just plain phantom/made-up.

Edited by Phoenix

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I echo Danefan's entire review above.

About the onside kick, they called the illegal hit on Cooper, who made the hit, and it is mind blowing. Further, if they did indeed mean it was an illegal touching of a player before ten yards, two things come into play:

1. If the player had no effect on the outcome, it is no-call per the rule book.

2. If the player had an effect on the outcome, the call is ILLEGAL CONTACT and not an ILLEGAL BLOCK.

Finally, the Delaware player had the ball for about 1 to 1.5 seconds, cradled, and then got hit. It's a live and legal play, hence none of the above come into play.

The referees should absolutely be sanctioned for this game...without question.

Thanks for the insight, I was just lost on what could have happened, looks like it was a blown call. Also the Troy Record reporter said the call was on Nicastro not Cooper...not sure if that makes it even more confusing.

"@LauraAmato 17h

17 hours ago

Nicastro called for an illegal block on that play and UAlbany is going to have to re-kick the ball. Gattuso is furious."

image.jpg

Using that video..here's a screen shot of our first contact with a Delaware player. It was a UAlbany player hitting the Blue Hen who had just recovered the ball. However..I don't believe that's who the penalty was called on. It was called on Nicastro..who is above and to the right of the contact..clearly nowhere near any Delaware player. In fact..the first contact Nicastro had with a Delaware player was when he was tackled after recovering the fumble.

And if I remember correctly..the flag was thrown near our 40 at the far side of the field. Not by either of the two officials in this screen shot who are actually near the play/Nicastro.

Even Delaware fans are saying it was a blown call. It's not even a case of it being a close call..it was just plain phantom/made-up.

You know, I thought they made a mistake calling it on Nicastro when I first heard them call that because he was not a part of the play until the end. That's why I thought they mean to call it on Cooper, rightly or wrongly. If indeed they meant to call it on Nicastro, it's even more of a blown call.

These refs should be suspended from reffing CAA games.

I echo Danefan's entire review above.

About the onside kick, they called the illegal hit on Cooper, who made the hit, and it is mind blowing. Further, if they did indeed mean it was an illegal touching of a player before ten yards, two things come into play:

1. If the player had no effect on the outcome, it is no-call per the rule book.

2. If the player had an effect on the outcome, the call is ILLEGAL CONTACT and not an ILLEGAL BLOCK.

Finally, the Delaware player had the ball for about 1 to 1.5 seconds, cradled, and then got hit. It's a live and legal play, hence none of the above come into play.

The referees should absolutely be sanctioned for this game...without question.

Thanks for the insight, I was just lost on what could have happened, looks like it was a blown call. Also the Troy Record reporter said the call was on Nicastro not Cooper...not sure if that makes it even more confusing.

"@LauraAmato 17h

17 hours ago

Nicastro called for an illegal block on that play and UAlbany is going to have to re-kick the ball. Gattuso is furious."

Yep, that was the initial call and why everyone was mind blown.

WHAT THE ****?!?!?!?! Listened to the game on the radio in car so this is the first I am seeing the video. Really??!?!?!? The Delaware player CLEARLY catches the ball and then gets blasted. the rule clearly states that once he touches the ball he is fully in play and that is a 100% LEGAL hit and should have been UA ball.

Still it shouldn't have come to that. The bad snap and 16 yard punts killed us. Handed them at least 7 pts right there.

WHAT THE ****?!?!?!?! Listened to the game on the radio in car so this is the first I am seeing the video. Really??!?!?!? The Delaware player CLEARLY catches the ball and then gets blasted. the rule clearly states that once he touches the ball he is fully in play and that is a 100% LEGAL hit and should have been UA ball.

Still it shouldn't have come to that. The bad snap and 16 yard punts killed us. Handed them at least 7 pts right there.

Agreed. But I also put the 16 yard punt on the long snapper. It pulled the punter over and into the pressure.

It seems to me that every weird call or weird play that happened this year has gone against us, like the fair catch dropped and the whistle blows, the on-side kick, fair catch interference, etc. The incomplete pass that was called a fumble and advanced by Delaware. If we had recovered it, I feel sure it would have been called and incompletion. We've had a few bad snaps on punts this year, they are so important, I hope we get it straightened out. I agree with the earlier comment about the D line, they are very light.

Gattuso should send the above screen shot to whomever handles officiating for the caa and demand an explanation. Also, the fumble/incomplete pass which resulted in a crucial first down for del was perhaps even more bizarre. I would love to see a replay of that one, I believe one official blew the play dead with the qb in the grasp? (at least I thought I heard a whistle) before the fumble/pass)?

I also got the feeling del was a vary dirty team and did not much care how much they were penalized [163yds actually]; as long as they could keep beating on and holding on UA they felt they'd win in the end. Thanks to the stripes, poor UA tackling, and UA special team errors, del prevailed in spite of their penalties.

Edited by dslyank

Still mad about this game.

The refs were bad. I remember one play where the ref (although he got the right call) who is in the freakin SECONDARY made a call from there for a penalty that happened in the offensive backfield. WHAT? Why are you even looking there?