UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

I had a conversation with someone this week who thought we played at the Division III level and was surprised that we were Division I in all sports. There is a huge untapped market in this area yet to be tapped, and a piece of it is to educate the fan base and show them the legitimacy and competitiveness of our program.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Virtually no one I talk to knows anything about Albany and it's D1 programs. It's really sad actually. Fully agree on the fact that our marketing departments needs a MAJOR kick in the arse to get it in gear. Bad marketing, lack of authentic gear, HORRIBLE online audio/video experiences (based on posts on this board) = lack of fans. They need to address these things and our programs continuing to win will take care of the rest.

I went to the Delaware game with some buddies. Two of them were "football" guys. They thought UA was still a D-3 program. It's going to take a lot of work to get the Capital Region to adopt UA as its team.

I went to the Delaware game with some buddies. Two of them were "football" guys. They thought UA was still a D-3 program. It's going to take a lot of work to get the Capital Region to adopt UA as its team.

I certainly agree our marketing/promotions department need IMPROVEMENT; but if you live in the capital district (say Amsterdam to Mass line and Catskill to Lake George) you have to live under a rock, not to know UA is D1 and pretty successful at that. If your "football" buddies live in this range than I seriously question their football credentials. If outside the capital district well maybe?? But with UA's success in the ncaa's (basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, softball, baseball, field hockey and yes even one ncaa football appearance already) (forgot track) and national media exposure and playing fbs teams in most sports, anyone but a very casual fan or no fan at all should recognize UAlbany in D1.

Edited by dslyank

I think it's a northeast thing as college football has always struggled up here. If there is an issue for people following FBS I can't imagine the average person will be interested in FCS.

Meh.. UMass averaged over 10,000 a year 90 minutes down the road from us with a smaller population nucleus in the exact same league.

That will forever be my measuring stick. Not Stony Brook that has a much different demographic and population.

I certainly agree our marketing/promotions department need IMPROVEMENT; but if you live in the capital district (say Amsterdam to Mass line and Catskill to Lake George) you have to live under a rock, not to know UA is D1 and pretty successful at that. If your "football" buddies live in this range than I seriously question their football credentials. If outside the capital district well maybe. With UA's success in the ncaa's (basketball, lacrosse, volleyball, softball, baseball, field hockey and yes even one ncaa football appearance already) (forgot track) and national media exposure and playing fbs teams in most sports, anyone but a very casual fan or no fan at all should recognize UAlbany in D1.

That assumes you (1) watch the nightly news (2) read the paper or (3) follow UAlbany on Facebook.

There are huge gaps in those people.

This is beginning to sound like the blog discussions we had when we were trying to get the stadium built. The problem with "capital" district sports is the Yankees/Mets and Red Sox's, the Giants/Jets and Patriots. The problem is we are a minor league market surrounded by very successful and historic professional teams. Ask the Albany Devils and all the failed minor league teams about the issue. The second and perhaps bigger issue is the "Capital" itself. The State government does nothing to promote sports @ State Universities [or for that matter does very little to promote SUNY financially at all]. In fact for years the state was a major hinderance/obstacle to D1 athletics. In Wisconsin every elementary school has a "Bagers" day where everyone wears red. Imagine if I Love NY expanded to include I LOVE UA. In spite of all this, UA has come a long way in D1 in a few short years and I am confident the new AD and relatively new president will expedite the growth.

I think it's a northeast thing as college football has always struggled up here. If there is an issue for people following FBS I can't imagine the average person will be interested in FCS.

Amen. You nailed it. And most people around here, including avid sports fans who watch ESPN every night, do not even know the difference between FCS and FBS. Some education for local fans is in order.

To anyone who gets their sports news from ESPN, "Division I" is the power 5 conferences and nobody else counts. Even that jerk Cowherd who actually went to Eastern Washington doesn't give any credit to the rest of the NCAA. FCS (and I'm sure they add "or whatever they're calling 1-AA now") is the same as D-2.

Did they know that Delaware is Division I? or any of the other CAA teams?

The first four or five years UA had "NCAA Division I" under the big A logo. Some visiting fans were mocking "don't people know you're D-I?" Ten years after they dropped it, we may still need it.