UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

As long as the game is at the TUC, our student attendance will not be what it could be were the game hosted at SEFCU. I'd like to see the game at SEFCU because of the environment and student attendance that we in all likelihood will never match at the TUC even if the court has purple paint or decals. Further, having played college basketball myself, home court rims and being used to the lighting and arena in general does matter (although we seem to favor the TUC as of late!).

But if the game is played once a year it is hard for me to argue that it should ever be at SEFCU.

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Really Ilko we didn't sell our allotment of crappy seats to a road game where LCC gets the bulk of the money . Give mr benson time to fix that and grow the fan base. In the meantime the only recourse I (and others ) have besides telling Albany how we feel (I for 1 have done that enough) is not buy a ticket for this game .

BTW, next up is Yale; a game I am willing to travel to as long as it does not snow on Saturday .

Hey, that may be the case. I don't know why we didn't sell those extra 30 tickets or whatever they were. That wasn't even the main point...the main point is that even at the SEFCU, our crowds are generally pretty pathetic for a team that is 'the best in town' and '4 time NCAA'ers'. We should have a much bigger following than we do. As I said before, and like you just said, that may have been on McElroy and we'll see if Benson can fix that...but as of right now, based on THAT alone (our real home games), Siena really doesn't have a reason to give us more/better tickets...we probably wouldn't sell them anyway. You're only 1 person Bob...so while you may actually pay for a better seat..can you say that if they gave us 3,000 more tickets in 3,000 better seats, that we'd sell those 3,000 tickets? Based on, again, our home games...I don't think we would and we'd be back at square one with Siena fans saying we can't fill the seats.

The RACC when we hosted the america east championship was the loudest sporting event I've been to live to this day.

Agreed. That place, with 4k people, is IMPRESSIVE in regards to fan noise. That's why I'm shocked we don't have at least 1,500 students at each home game when classes are in session. We can't find 1,500 kids or entice 1,500 kids with freebies/pizza to get them to come? As of 2012, we enrolled 17,316 students. Obviously not all are full-time on-campus...but still (for example, I'm a part-time night student). I see TONS of kids walking around campus with UA sweatshirts, sweat pants, t-shirts, etc...so the general 'school spirit' is already somewhat present. We need to harness that and get butts in seats.

Again, Benson likely has a plan for that...but right now, it's terrible. Time will certainly tell.

I guess what I'm saying is, aside from the revenue split, I see both sides of the coin here.

Edited by Ilko

The RACC when we hosted the america east championship was the loudest sporting event I've been to live to this day.

Boom! And 1.

Exactly . That is what you need (more than once) to start building a fan base not road games building a competitors fan base

Edited by bob87

I have the honor of being banned from the Siena forum! The Union / RPI comparison is

apt. Union being National Champions still go to RPI and play without insisting their STH get preferred seating.

why were you banned?

Also, clack, I have no idea why you post on that board when they just treat you like crap. Bunch of idiots there.

Pretty sure lasts nights results are the primary reason for me getting banned. I certainly was less ascerbic than Click, trying to just have fun with game match up comparisons, offer 2 cents on the contract and point out what poor fair weather fans they are going off on Patsos in just second year with one recruiting class :)))), yeh, maybe that!

No way the contract will be 50 / 50 if we stay at the TUC, although it will have that illusion. If, as I understand is likely, the deal to stay at the TUC dictates that each school prepay for 1/2 tickets and all expenses, then that means to have a 50 / 50 split we have to fill those seats and perhaps even fill a minimal sponsorship quota to cover marketing ... . So now we have to fill 5k -6k seats to get our pay day and dignity (as fans) lol. Pretty easy for Siena but not so much for us. So, if I am doing the accounting on this, I'm planning on 3 years of losses before we can those butts in paying seats.

SEFCU looks much better $wise in that analysis, at least short term. When we have 3k - 4k season ticket holders then make the TUC jump. And while Benson may ask WB what he would like out of courtesy, his job is $ baby and that alone will drive negoaiations IMO.

Wouldn't be shocked if Siena doesn't want to play ball, that we don't play next year to make a point to Siena that UA doesn't need this game. And then go back to the table the next year when Siena is willing to negotiate. For the past X amount of years UA has shown it cards "we'll play so give us whatever you'll give us even if it's crap". If Benson shows we're willing to walk away then maybe it'll assist in future years.

This will be the first big public move the fan base and alums will see from Benson. If he doesn't come up with something different he's really going to hear it, even more than he is right now.

Ilko

I don't know how many tickets Albany would sell if they had a true home game vs LCC in the season ticket package , but I do know I am not alone in saying the current arrangement is unacceptable and acting on that fact.

BTW , I really don't get the "high opinion" some of you have of LCC . To me they are nothing special . We already are playing 3 other maac teams this year as part of home and home . Even though there is nothing special about LCC, their fans being idiots Does make it sweeter to beat them than it would be to beat a similar low major . However if they don't want to or can't play some sort of home and home/ neutral series just replace them

Edited by bob87

I have the honor of being banned from the Siena forum! The Union / RPI comparison is

apt. Union being National Champions still go to RPI and play without insisting their STH get preferred seating.

why were you banned?

Also, clack, I have no idea why you post on that board when they just treat you like crap. Bunch of idiots there.

Pretty sure lasts nights results are the primary reason for me getting banned. I certainly was less ascerbic than Click, trying to just have fun with game match up comparisons, offer 2 cents on the contract and point out what poor fair weather fans they are going off on Patsos in just second year with one recruiting class :)))), yeh, maybe that!

No way the contract will be 50 / 50 if we stay at the TUC, although it will have that illusion. If, as I understand is likely, the deal to stay at the TUC dictates that each school prepay for 1/2 tickets and all expenses, then that means to have a 50 / 50 split we have to fill those seats and perhaps even fill a minimal sponsorship quota to cover marketing ... . So now we have to fill 5k -6k seats to get our pay day and dignity (as fans) lol. Pretty easy for Siena but not so much for us. So, if I am doing the accounting on this, I'm planning on 3 years of losses before we can those butts in paying seats.

SEFCU looks much better $wise in that analysis, at least short term. When we have 3k - 4k season ticket holders then make the TUC jump. And while Benson may ask WB what he would like out of courtesy, his job is $ baby and that alone will drive negoaiations IMO.

LOL your first paragraph... I have a lot of history over there.

Here's my two cents on the contract issue. I think the game should continue to be played at the TUC. The telling point to me is the number of people (from the community) who are willing to see the game. If both teams hadn't had horrible records, I think this year's game would have attracted even more people. I understand the desire to see a game at SEFCU. If our fans made up 3/4 of the audience, that place would really be rocking, and it would serve as an incentive to get even more fannies into the seats at other games.

The idea that simply because the TUC is the only venue that can hold such a crowd and the fact that it just happens to also be Siena's home court doesn't necessarily mean that Siena is fated to be the home team year after year. Their fans just simply don't get it that the current arrangement is unique in this country and that they are supremely spoiled by the deal.

The home team should alternate every year. Season ticket holders for the home team that year should get some priority. The season ticket holders for the away team shouldn't have any advantages. Let's say UA is the home team for the 2015 game. UA fans will get the ringside seats, and all Siena ticket holders will get the scraps. Too bad if they don't like it. Maybe some of them will realize how lucky they've had it for 14 years. For me, becoming the home team is the most important change I want to see made to the next contract, even if it means playing downtown.

If the other school isn't willing to make that change, then drop them.

Siena trying to look like they don't want to give up any more to UA. In reality the better athletic program is simply taking over. They are in year five of a rebuild at what point is it not a rebuild any more but rather you suck?

They had their fun beating a d1 newbie... When the going gets tuff, let's pretend it's the contract we don't like any more.

Wouldn't be shocked if Siena doesn't want to play ball, that we don't play next year to make a point to Siena that UA doesn't need this game. And then go back to the table the next year when Siena is willing to negotiate. For the past X amount of years UA has shown it cards "we'll play so give us whatever you'll give us even if it's crap". If Benson shows we're willing to walk away then maybe it'll assist in future years.

This will be the first big public move the fan base and alums will see from Benson. If he doesn't come up with something different he's really going to hear it, even more than he is right now.

Take a year off... They will come calling.

Ilko

I don't know how many tickets Albany would sell if they had a true home game vs LCC in the season ticket package , but I do know I am not alone in saying the current arrangement is unacceptable and acting on that fact.

BTW , I really don't get the "high opinion" some of you have of LCC . To me they are nothing special . We already are playing 3 other maac teams this year as part of home and home . Even though there is nothing special about LCC, their fans being idiots Does make it sweeter to beat them than it would be to beat a similar low major . However if they don't want to or can't play some sort of home and home/ neutral series just replace them

I definitely understand you making your stance known with your wallet, nothing wrong there.

As for LCC, I love beating them just as much as you. When I saw fans leaving for the door with 4:00 left yesterday, I was quite happy inside.

The only point that I will agree with that was stated by a Siena fan is that we didn't sell out our part of the tickets...that's not good and gives Siena some ammunition.

I know at least 15 alum from the NYC area who did not attend the game because they think the contract sucks. I am one of them. I have been bringing a group up to this game for the past 5 years or so and I decided not to organize it this year because I think it is BS that we have to continue to play this game on the road. There is no other series anywhere in the country at this level that is on the same home court for 14 straight years. It is absolute GARBAGE and I'm sure there were at least 100-150 UA fans that thought the same way I did and didn't show up.

It's hilarious to me how stuck up and arrogant the Siena fans are. They focus their money and efforts on one sport and they had a string of good years but are not very good. UA has an excellent athletic department with teams playing in national final fours, winning conference championships on a regular basis and just flying high right now. Our AD is far above them by leaps and bounds. It amazes me that they think they are so far above and superior to our athletics. It's hilarious actually.

d.) Have a neutral public address announcer.

So I take it you didn't enjoy listening to the announcer take 90 second to say "basket by RRRRRRRobbbiiieeee Poooleeeee!"

Everything that isn't neutral about that game annoys me to no avail. I am still shaking my head that their women's team lost by 19 and a Siena player was named player of the game.

BTW, you did not want to be anywhere near me when the women were down 11 to the team picked 10th in the MAAC...with two fouls each on their two best players.