UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If they figured out a way to make the arena a bowl (leave tunnels to the locker rooms but put seats above), the could easily hit 5,500 or even 6000.

Definitely needs a renovation though. My biggest gripe, and what I love most about the TUC, is the giant scoreboard above the court with replay, etc. I WANT REPLAY! Those little boards we use during the tournament won't do it.

Why can't all games be treated like the big purple growl!

Having worked on this campus in a couple of roles I think there is an institutional resistance, even resentment to athletics that will take an other 10 years to overcome. From the deans down to the RA's, unless there is some great decree fromon high I.e. the Growl, there is no tradition to get students and staff to games. The glacial bureaucracy of the institution is not yet on board. Jones and Benson have never run into this before lol.

That's probably what it is. Honestly, as a current student, all I get is usually some measly emails. Not much else to tell me there is a game and very often there isn't much of an 'incentive' to get me to go. Lucky for them, I'm also a season ticket holder...but for the average student it's not so.

They need to pack the student sections first, and then the rest will follow IMO.

• 2 weeks later...

That's probably what it is. Honestly, as a current student, all I get is usually some measly emails. Not much else to tell me there is a game and very often there isn't much of an 'incentive' to get me to go. Lucky for them, I'm also a season ticket holder...but for the average student it's not so.

They need to pack the student sections first, and then the rest will follow IMO.

As a person who's a bit older and had to figure out what to do without measly e-mails. What would you suggest? Solutions are needed, not complaints. Incentives? Do you get incentives to attend or watch other events? I enjoy rooting for my alma mater, and seeing exciting sporting event. Isn't that enough? What incentives do the students at other schools get?

As a person who's a bit older and had to figure out what to do without measly e-mails. What would you suggest? Solutions are needed, not complaints. Incentives? Do you get incentives to attend or watch other events? I enjoy rooting for my alma mater, and seeing exciting sporting event. Isn't that enough? What incentives do the students at other schools get?
I think it is sefcu. Siena only draws students because of the ability to sell booze and the accessibility to bars after the game

Coming from another side of this...

Some people aren't sports fans. UA isn't a sports school, so when kids in highschool apply, they aren't applying because they want to watch football or basketball. If I live in NY and I'm a huge college sports fan I'm going to apply to Syracuse ( I don't like saying that but it's reality). Many alums I know just aren't sports fans and never were in school either. No matter how much you advertise or entice some people just don't enjoy sports. At some point highschoolers who apply for colleges may know UA as a sports school, and then maybe we'll see in increase in students coming to game, but you can only do so much. You can't force people to come to something they might not enjoy.

Not saying they aren't doing enough, but I do know they do try.

Edited by MsGDG

I think it is sefcu. Siena only draws students because of the ability to sell booze and the accessibility to bars after the game

From news reports of Siena games I barely ever see a ton of Siena students in the end zone section. But then again I don't watch their games so I don't really know. :)

Edited by MsGDG

Some people aren't sports fans. UA isn't a sports school, so when kids in highschool apply, they aren't applying because they want to watch football or basketball. If I live in NY and I'm a huge college sports fan I'm going to apply to Syracuse ( I don't like saying that but it's reality). Many alums I know just aren't sports fans and never were in school either. No matter how much you advertise or entice some people just don't enjoy sports. At some point highschoolers who apply for colleges may know UA as a sports school, and then maybe we'll see in increase in students coming to game, but you can only do so much. You can't force people to come to something they might not enjoy.

***This is all my opinion, people can disagree with me if they want***

Well, weren't they doing a 'come to the game, get free pizza thing' last year or the year before for basketball? Why not keep that going for, say, half the games (hasn't happened this year as far as I know)? They already do the thing where if you swipe your ID as you come in you get 'points' which are used for who knows what (I don't use my ID because I'm a season ticket holder).

Obviously I agree with the general sentiment that if we can maintain consistent success we'll attract not only students but regular fans but still.

The way I see it as, at least with football, MANY MANY kids go to friday night HS games with their friends just to chill. Hell, I've had friends who don't know the first thing about ANY sport come to two UAlbany FB games already just for the 'environment' (because I talk it up so much). There is no reason why these casual HS fans can't maintain their 'just going to have fun with friends' attitude in college. Problem is, they must not be enticed enough to make the trek from the dorm to the court, or what have you. This is where alcohol likely comes into play once a person reaches college, more on that below. We all know kids leave home and go to school far away to get away from the parents and to party...because that's what 'college is about' (really sad, IMO).

UAlbany, at least from my times on campus (2-3 times a week for a couple night classes), has a SERIOUS lack of school spirit. Again, as you've said, we aren't a sports school...so maybe it's apples to oranges, but I'm sure if you go to any decent sized school (not the Syracuses of the world), that also has decent sports, you'll probably see logos for the mascot etc. I don't seem to get that feel from being on campus. Maybe in the campus center, but just barely. Everywhere else, all you see is frat posters, etc.

As for alcohol, I'm definitely sure that plays a role. Seems like all of my peers just wanna drink lol. It's all I heard about in the latter parts of HS and throughout college. Walk into a class early, and all you hear kids talking about is this party, that party, this booze, that booze. As someone who doesn't drink at all (not exaggerating), it's actually pretty freaking lame if you ask me. But whatever, that's just my opinion. At the same time, I never hear anyone talking about the sports teams. I don't hear, "Hey, did you go the game this weekend?"

After what happened after the Siena game last year (accident), I'd prefer it if alcohol was banned from every sporting venue in the US but that will NEVER happen due to the amount of money it brings in. I usually wait for traffic to clear or try to beat it so I don't have to contend with slightly buzzed (or REALLY hammered) drivers. It's really disappointing to know that, as UA 08 says, if they sold beer many more upperclassmen would come to the games.

Edited by Ilko

***This is all my opinion, people can disagree with me if they want***

Well, weren't they doing a 'come to the game, get free pizza thing' last year or the year before for basketball? Why not keep that going for, say, half the games (hasn't happened this year as far as I know)? They already do the thing where if you swipe your ID as you come in you get 'points' which are used for who knows what (I don't use my ID because I'm a season ticket holder).

Obviously I agree with the general sentiment that if we can maintain consistent success we'll attract not only students but regular fans but still.

The way I see it as, at least with football, MANY MANY kids go to friday night HS games with their friends just to chill. Hell, I've had friends who don't know the first thing about ANY sport come to two UAlbany FB games already just for the 'environment' (because I talk it up so much). There is no reason why these casual HS fans can't maintain their 'just going to have fun with friends' attitude in college. Problem is, they must not be enticed enough to make the trek from the dorm to the court, or what have you. This is where alcohol likely comes into play once a person reaches college, more on that below. We all know kids leave home and go to school far away to get away from the parents and to party...because that's what 'college is about' (really sad, IMO).

UAlbany, at least from my times on campus (2-3 times a week for a couple night classes), has a SERIOUS lack of school spirit. Again, as you've said, we aren't a sports school...so maybe it's apples to oranges, but I'm sure if you go to any decent sized school (not the Syracuses of the world), that also has decent sports, you'll probably see logos for the mascot etc. I don't seem to get that feel from being on campus. Maybe in the campus center, but just barely. Everywhere else, all you see is frat posters, etc.

As for alcohol, I'm definitely sure that plays a role. Seems like all of my peers just wanna drink lol. It's all I heard about in the latter parts of HS and throughout college. Walk into a class early, and all you hear kids talking about is this party, that party, this booze, that booze. As someone who doesn't drink at all (not exaggerating), it's actually pretty freaking lame if you ask me. But whatever, that's just my opinion. At the same time, I never hear anyone talking about the sports teams. I don't hear, "Hey, did you go the game this weekend?"

After what happened after the Siena game last year (accident), I'd prefer it if alcohol was banned from every sporting venue in the US but that will NEVER happen due to the amount of money it brings in. I usually wait for traffic to clear or try to beat it so I don't have to contend with slightly buzzed (or REALLY hammered) drivers. It's really disappointing to know that, as UA 08 says, if they sold beer many more upperclassmen would come to the games.

It would be nice for fans to have the option to purchase a beer at a home basketball game. And some more food options would be appreciated. I know that there is not an open grill or oven or fryer at SEFCU, so I suppose our food options are limited, but maybe a food truck or something? Anything? Please.