UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ LCC 12/13 ( not the day whiny patsos wanted)

Based on the past couple posts..I'm guessing some people don't know that they actually do sell beer and wine at SEFCU for home basketball games? Hall of Fame room..both before the game and during halftime. The room actually gets fairly packed during half time.

And I'm guessing a food truck..located outside during the winter..wouldn't be the biggest sell at basketball games..haha.

Lastly..as I always try to point out when this type of conversation rolls around at least once every couple months: UAlbany leads the conference in attendance. Not Binghamton..not Vermont..not Stony Brook with their sparkling new arena..UAlbany.

Edited by Phoenix

• Replies 480
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great comments all. Food - Sedexo needs to be negotiated OFF the athletic venues. Beer, ... a renovated SEFCU should have a beer garden in the arena. Students - it takes a Growl like effort to get significant student participation -the why of that occupies many good minds on campus. Parking - free parking 1/4 mile away on a freezing night does not incentivize me to go and yes that is enough to keep casual fans away.

It's all about the experience so lets summarize =blah food and no beer to make that not matter, half +empty seats, inconistent team during regular season with a style of play only die hard bball fans appreciate, and if first and last impressions matter - a freakin long cold walk back to the car. That's enough to take the shine off an evening and give the edge to what ever else is going on.

Based on the past couple posts..I'm guessing some people don't know that they actually do sell beer and wine at SEFCU for home basketball games? Hall of Fame room..both before the game and during halftime. The room actually gets fairly packed during half time.

And I'm guessing a food truck..located outside during the winter..wouldn't be the biggest sell at basketball games..haha.

Lastly..as I always try to point out when this type of conversation rolls around at least once every couple months: UAlbany leads the conference in attendance. Not Binghamton..not Vermont..not Stony Brook with their sparkling new arena..UAlbany.

+1

People don't like facts that get in their way of complaining on this board , so watch out.

Great comments all. Food - Sedexo needs to be negotiated OFF the athletic venues. Beer, ... a renovated SEFCU should have a beer garden in the arena. Students - it takes a Growl like effort to get significant student participation -the why of that occupies many good minds on campus. Parking - free parking 1/4 mile away on a freezing night does not incentivize me to go and yes that is enough to keep casual fans away.

It's all about the experience so lets summarize =blah food and no beer to make that not matter, half +empty seats, inconistent team during regular season with a style of play only die hard bball fans appreciate, and if first and last impressions matter - a freakin long cold walk back to the car. That's enough to take the shine off an evening and give the edge to what ever else is going on.

They do sell beer at a beer garden in yhr sefcu and if you don't want to walk a tiny bit then pay for parking. If you ever go to away games you would know all schools do this. Paid parking close, free parking not so close.

Have you ever voiced your thoughts to the department to see what they say. So they could explain to you what they do, what they don't do,what they plan to do?

Edited by MsGDG

UA has been anti jock forever. I don't know why. It is exciting to watch talented athletes perform. A university as large as Albany should have a diverse student population. There is nothing wrong with recruiting academically qualified students who enjoy playing and watching sports in their spare time. Just as I hope the university will recruit students who like music, the performing arts and other outside activities. And, it my years on campus I don't remember a single professor who encouraged school spirit. It would help if some of the professors wore school colors and attended games and talked about games and teams before class started.

Can any fan 21+ enter the hall of fame room and purchase a beer? Can they bring it back to their seat? A food truck outside is not the answer, but neither are the current food options. Given the lack of a kitchen and other structural deficits I'm not sure what can even be done about the food. Although a few years ago there were at least some tasty pizzas for the AE Tournament. Where did those go? Those pizzas were good.

A strong recreational sports program and strong recreational facilities will attract high school students who are interested in sports. Attracting students who have a predisposition to watching sports and being fit is one way that I would go about improving interest in athletics on campus.

I don't know what it's like on campus now, but when I was a freshmen, me and my roommates went to a game after seeing a flyer in the dining hall. Are there still flyers posted up?

Maybe getting a bigger name team can also help. If we can get low-mid level A10/cusa teams or even better MAC teams for non conference games it would draw more interest.

I agree with this. I've started paying for parking because that walk is BRUTAL. Imagine having a game last night...I probably would have stayed home.

+1

People don't like facts that get in their way of complaining on this board , so watch out.

I don't drink, so I could care less about alcohol. I was only agreeing with what was said. I have no idea what is or isn't sold in the HoF room.

And you always post this 'complaining' tid bit. This is a fan board of anything/everything having to do with UAlbany it seems (even the off topic stuff like the Law School). If ANYTHING, the school should be reading this damn thing on the daily. I know if I was a business owner and I heard about a forum talking about my product, I'd be scopin that shiznit out to see what's being said...even if it's 'anonymously'. Every day.

I do recall someone saying, at one point, that at least some of the Athletic Department was reading this forum. That's a start. Now get Benson, the Pres, etc. to read it.

UA has been anti jock forever. I don't know why. It is exciting to watch talented athletes perform. A university as large as Albany should have a diverse student population. There is nothing wrong with recruiting academically qualified students who enjoy playing and watching sports in their spare time. Just as I hope the university will recruit students who like music, the performing arts and other outside activities. And, it my years on campus I don't remember a single professor who encouraged school spirit. It would help if some of the professors wore school colors and attended games and talked about games and teams before class started.

Yeah, that still doesn't happen lol. I have never had a professor say even 1 word about sports in the classroom (and I've been doing night school at UA since Fall 2010). And my major is IT related (where many of the professors are younger/more hip to the times)...

That's my thing too though...there isn't flyers all over the place, or things on the boards. But, you walk into some lecture halls and there is frat flyers/stuff written in chalk on the board in the corner for a frat related event. Perhaps the Athletic Department needs to work with the frats directory to sponsor 'frat nights' or something...

Can any fan 21+ enter the hall of fame room and purchase a beer? Can they bring it back to their seat? A food truck outside is not the answer, but neither are the current food options. Given the lack of a kitchen and other structural deficits I'm not sure what can even be done about the food. Although a few years ago there were at least some tasty pizzas for the AE Tournament. Where did those go? Those pizzas were good.

Who cares what the other schools draw. I just want to see SEFCU paked as much as possible.

+1

A strong recreational sports program and strong recreational facilities will attract high school students who are interested in sports. Attracting students who have a predisposition to watching sports and being fit is one way that I would go about improving interest in athletics on campus.

Problem is unless Benson talks his superiors into doing that, it likely won't change. Right now, students need to attract other students by word of mouth. And also they need to feed these kids possibly as part of a trade off to get them in the seats. Yeah they have meal plans, but even Shabazz Napier (from UConn - now on my NBA team Miami) said he would go to bed hungry. Free food would get at least a couple more butts in the seats, I'm sure. And not just pizza, give them some soda/candy too lol.

Edited by Ilko

This is kind of how I see it...there really is nothing the game experience provides that is absolutely top notch. I love UA basketball because that's me, but the overall experience, arena, 1940's scoreboard etc. just isn't going to draw people in like crazy.

For the most part the product on the floor is good to very good, I really don't think that is where the problem is.

+1

What you view as complaining, others view as constructive discussion. This thread being proof of that...

Maybe at the next game they should just hand out pom-poms.

It's been a few years since I took his class but there was a professor, last name started with S (perhaps Svarve or Sevarve or something) actively mocked the UA athletic department before his Psychology class. We were still in the NEC in those days, this guy who by the way was a HUGE Giants fan and loved all sports would say things like...who went to the UA vs. Bryant game at Ford field? No-one? (even as I would raise my hand)...good for you it's embarrassing football. He'd constantly mock our sports program, it was bizarre. I believe he even wrote some TU article anti sports. Anyone know who I'm talking about?

We do well for our conference considering the facilities etc. I've been pleasantly surprised with attendance this year. Just win and maintain culture of winning. This doesn't happen overnight. If you can improve SEFCU. We've come a long way.