UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Asses In The Seats?

As a student from 79-83, I attended every home game at University Gym that was during classes, never missing a single one. Crowds were usually in the 1500 range, but the Potsdam game was always the highlite. The greatest game I have ever seen in person was the game vs. Potsdam in Dec, 1980 when we were both in the top 10 in DIII poll and over 3,000 squeezed into the gym, people sitting on the steps that walk you up the bleachers. The pep band, and stomping of the feet on the bleachers made for an electric feel. We ended up losing in triple OT, 71-70. Potsdam went on to win the national championship that year even after we went up to Potsdam and beat them in the SUNYAC title game. Usually the SUNYAC champ gets to host the opening round of the NCAA's, but they gave it to Potsdam and they beat us in the second round in OT. Ended up 23-5, one of Docs best teams ever.

The ASP did a great job covering the team and promoting the upcoming game. Alot more students attended back then. Wish the apathy of todays students would improve and realize the college game is great entertainment especially with our recent success.

I remember a lot about those Potsdam games. During the stretch you mention they were the most intense games for those years. Another heated rivalry was against Oneonta. We almost never won there, and some of the games at University Gym were very hard-fought. If I recall correctly, many UA fans intensely disliked Potsdam's coach, Jerry Welsh. It seemed to many of us that he engaged in unfair recruiting. I think some former Division I players were on Potsdam's teams of that era.

A second intense SUNYAC rivalry was against Oneonta. In another sellout game at University Gym, Oneonta's point guard Kevin Croutier killed us in a very tight contest which we lost. It was said that in one year some of Albany's frat members and other fans had gone down to Oneonta and were disappointed in a loss to them, so, according to Oneonta fans (and maybe the police) they busted up some of the bars. After that incident it was very difficult to beat Oneonta in an away game.

Yet another heated league rivalry was against Buffalo State. I think UA had just rejoined the SUNYAC, which Buff State had thoroughly dominated for many years. Then they came to play against us in University Gym. We ended their conference win streak at 50 games. If I recall correctly it was also the 24th or 25th home game that Albany won in a row.

Rejoining SUNYAC created a lot of instant, intense rivalries. I wasn't sure whether joining the New England conference during our Division II days or America East would continue the same level of intensity.

• Replies 224
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Back to the present, my wife's endocrinologist told her that he was heading to a game last week, but got there too late to park in the SEFCU lot, and he thought it was too cold to walk from the Dutch lot, so he went home. Probably only the enormous expense of a parking structure can do anything to help this, because there's no public transport or any other way to get fans close enough.

Once the field house gets built so that the indoor track has its own home, then we can talk about expanding the SEFCU building with corner seating on at least one end, an atrium/entry plaza with concessions, and parking integrated.

The SEFCU lot seems to have about 250-275 spots. Would a garage the area of the lot have fewer spaces on each level (if it needs more rooms for internal roadways?) How many levels are practical? How many spots would you need if seating expanded to 6,000?

Back to the present, my wife's endocrinologist told her that he was heading to a game last week, but got there too late to park in the SEFCU lot, and he thought it was too cold to walk from the Dutch lot, so he went home. Probably only the enormous expense of a parking structure can do anything to help this, because there's no public transport or any other way to get fans close enough.

Once the field house gets built so that the indoor track has its own home, then we can talk about expanding the SEFCU building with corner seating on at least one end, an atrium/entry plaza with concessions, and parking integrated.

The SEFCU lot seems to have about 250-275 spots. Would a garage the area of the lot have fewer spaces on each level (if it needs more rooms for internal roadways?) How many levels are practical? How many spots would you need if seating expanded to 6,000?

UAalum, Thanks for your most recent post. I'm sorry that your wife's endocrinologist did not attend the game. I'm quite sure he missed a great event. Of course, SEFCU could always assign nearby parking spots to top medical personnel. Maybe other fans wouldn't like it so much.

Thanks for putting a face on the sequence of events for SEFCU's improvements. Do you have an idea when the field house will be constructed? Have you heard anything specific about the renovation design? The idea of an atrium or entry on the parking lot side would certainly be more welcoming. You have good questions as to whether a parking garage is even possible for the space allowed.

Little story. My daughter had Dane logo tattoos on her face from the game when we checked into our hotel. Two ladies working the front desk asked if we went to the game. Said the team was having a great season and saw on the news they beat Vermont! Then at dinner, the waiter was telling us he just got out of the air force and going to community college with the hopes of going to albany next year. He talked a bit about the basketball team. I was surprised to see more people in the community knowing what's going on. A good sign.

Thanks for putting a face on the sequence of events for SEFCU's improvements. Do you have an idea when the field house will be constructed? Have you heard anything specific about the renovation design? The idea of an atrium or entry on the parking lot side would certainly be more welcoming. You have good questions as to whether a parking garage is even possible for the space allowed.

There was a thread (last fall?) discussing some of the long-term projects. The field house was to be in two stages, assuming money became available, so I'd figure that's at least five years down the road. I'm just thinking a major rebuild of the arena has to wait until there are enough facilities to get thru the construction phase.

As for parking garage and atrium, that's just me speculating on what we need.

I still cannot believe people are still talking about parking as an attendance issue? Every away school function that I have attended and there have been many, you WALK some; usually WALK a long way. Bob87 has been to more away games in all sports than anyone I know; and I am sure he has logged many miles from parking areas to events. THIS IS SIMPLY NOT AN ISSUE. In fact a six story lot in front of sefcu would not only be an eye sore; but contradict those of you who are pushing for a more welcoming atrium on that side. We have so many needs in the athletic department (do I need to list them--better fields for baseball and softball, field house, sefcu renovations, bofo expansion, amenities @ Fallon Field, and more). It would simply be a CRIME to waste a single nickel worrying about parking.

ps. Most doctors advise their patients to WALK. It is one of the best remedies there is to obesity and many other health issues in this country. If my doctor refused to walk from dutch to sefcu, I think I'd find another doctor. No offense intended 72. Now if UA had handicap accessibility issues, than that would be something to complain about and get behind.

Edited by dslyank

I still cannot believe people are still talking about parking as an attendance issue? Every away school function that I have attended and there have been many, you WALK some; usually WALK a long way. Bob87 has been to more away games in all sports than anyone I know; and I am sure he has logged many miles from parking areas to events. THIS IS SIMPLY NOT AN ISSUE. In fact a six story lot in front of sefcu would not only be an eye sore; but contradict those of you who are pushing for a more welcoming atrium on that side. We have so many needs in the athletic department (do I need to list them--better fields for baseball and softball, field house, sefcu renovations, bofo expansion, amenities @ Fallon Field, and more). It would simply be a CRIME to waste a single nickel worrying about parking.

ps. Most doctors advise their patients to WALK. It is one of the best remedies there is to obesity and many other health issues in this country. If my doctor refused to walk from dutch to sefcu, I think I'd find another doctor. No offense intended 72. Now if UA had handicap accessibility issues, than that would be something to complain about and get behind.

It's all a matter of opinion, but mine is that you are wrong on the walking piece. A garage where the current SEFCU lot is would be an eye sore so that is not where I would put it if one were to be built.

The long walk in the dark on a windy campus to get from Dutch to SEFCU most definitely hurts attendance in the winter. Something tells me all those games you mention that Bob87 has been to have just as poor attendance as we do. I can tell you for 100% certain my wife would rather go to see Siena play because the parking is closer and even when there is a walk you have things to see, it's well lit, buildings to block the wind and overall more pleasant. She will not go to SEFCU during a night game or on a real cold day.

The real fans will go whenever and wherever they can, but if you want to increase attendance you need the casual fans and families buying 4-5 tickets instead of just 1 or 2. The tickets are already cheap enough. Just make it more accessible and comfortable and more casual fans will attend. More attendance turns more casual fans into super fans.

It's all a matter of opinion, but mine is that you are wrong on the walking piece. A garage where the current SEFCU lot is would be an eye sore so that is not where I would put it if one were to be built.

The long walk in the dark on a windy campus to get from Dutch to SEFCU most definitely hurts attendance in the winter. Something tells me all those games you mention that Bob87 has been to have just as poor attendance as we do. I can tell you for 100% certain my wife would rather go to see Siena play because the parking is closer and even when there is a walk you have things to see, it's well lit, buildings to block the wind and overall more pleasant. She will not go to SEFCU during a night game or on a real cold day.

The real fans will go whenever and wherever they can, but if you want to increase attendance you need the casual fans and families buying 4-5 tickets instead of just 1 or 2. The tickets are already cheap enough. Just make it more accessible and comfortable and more casual fans will attend. More attendance turns more casual fans into super fans.

First and foremost, if you want to increase the attendance, get the students involved. That's a way bigger issue to me than the community at large. Get the students involved and excited and you'll have an amazing home court advantage.

Really, something tells me you just look for excuses not to go to a game and haven't been to too many. Which venue ? Which sport do you want me to start with? So you really think there are spots for 30,000 basketball fans within the distance dutch quad is from the carrier dome. How about 100,000 people at penn st , ohio state football, etc. You want a smaller venue. Even at Coastal Carolina basketball (the most recent new basketball arena I went to) I was at least as far away from the arena as at home. And I don't want to hear any excuses like it is warmer there . they can walk, but I can't here To them the 35 degrees it was that night I was there is ever bit as cold.

The personal preference is I hate parking garages. I rather walk a little further than get stuck in 1. The knick with a big crowd(concert not LCC game) is among the worst getting out of time wise..I let the guys like you park in the garage while I walk to my car and pull right onto the road and then highway

Looking at Binghamtons Event center parking I think I have a simple relatively inexpensive solution for basketball and football parking. Leave the tennis courts and basketball courts at Dutch QUAD. Convert the Dutch Quad parking lot to a softball stadium. Convert the current softball field and intramural field to a parking lot!! I KNOW THE INTRAMURAL FIELD IS NEW BUT IT IS ALSO CHEAP. WE NEED NEW FACILITY PLANNERS!!