UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The member institutions of AE are first rate. I don't think UA could find better company. The empahasis should be on improving the AE and not finding new friends.

At one point I would have vehemently argued this with you... Lately I've started to come around. As a group, this collection of schools are a great fit. This commissioner seems to be a smart/talented lady... Let's see where this league goes in the next 3-5 years. Many of the schools have nice or new facilities, two more are on the drawing board (UVM and umbc)... We don't need to needlessly spend our money, what little we have of it flying or busing out to Ohio or Indiana to chase an upgrade in affiliation that wouldn't be earth shattering.

At this point I'd much rather spend our money on facilities and keep growing the program. Few know this but... There are conversations to gut sefcu and build basically a new state of the art facility 5k+ seats. In line with what sbu and bing have. Let's focus our energy and funds there for the time being.

Edited by Clickclack

Click. You hearing anything about a total reconstruction from folks other than comments by Benson on the broadcast the other day ?

Yes but... And a big but, if money were no object it would be under way. As always the wish list and availability of funds are at odds. I want to be clear it's not like a new facility is imminent. We'll see if it happens... I think it's nice to know that is where the leaderships head is at...

The member institutions of AE are first rate. I don't think UA could find better company. The empahasis should be on improving the AE and not finding new friends.

At one point I would have vehemently argued this with you... Lately I've started to come around. As a group, this collection of schools are a great fit. This commissioner seems to be a smart/talented lady... Let's see where this league goes in the next 3-5 years. Many of the schools have nice or new facilities, two more are on the drawing board (UVM and umbc)... We don't need to needlessly spend our money, what little we have of it flying or busing out to Ohio or Indiana to chase an upgrade in affiliation that wouldn't be earth shattering.

At this point I'd much rather spend our money on facilities and keep growing the program. Few know this but... There are conversations to gut sefcu and build basically a new state of the art facility 5k+ seats. In line with what sbu and bing have. Let's focus our energy and funds there for the time being.

In an interview with Benson a couple of weeks ago, he said short term goals would be more seatbacks and video board and long term more permanent seating (I think the context to more permanent seating was major renovation but don't remember anything more specific). Would be great if the renovation happened sooner but my sense from his comments was that it was a later phase.

The bigger issue with regards to Sefcu isn't a gut job but accessibility. In English "The parking situation sucks." This really became apparent to me during the last game I attended against UMBC. Walking from Dutch Quad parking lot in the dead of winter wasn't easy. Before spending 3-4 million on a new scoreboard and more seat backs they should put those funds to build a parking garage behind Sefcu. That garage would make the fan experience at Sefcu better because of the easy access during the basketball season. It would also help almost every other sport with regards to accessible parking.

The bigger issue with regards to Sefcu isn't a gut job but accessibility. In English "The parking situation sucks." This really became apparent to me during the last game I attended against UMBC. Walking from Dutch Quad parking lot in the dead of winter wasn't easy. Before spending 3-4 million on a new scoreboard and more seat backs they should put those funds to build a parking garage behind Sefcu. That garage would make the fan experience at Sefcu better because of the easy access during the basketball season. It would also help almost every other sport with regards to accessible parking.

Parking is an issue. But so is adequate tailgating spot for football which is our flagship spectator sport. I'd rather see a parking garage where the Dutch lot is now. Much more useful for the university as a whole.

The facilities master plan always called for shuttle service to the athletic complex from the harriman campus. Not sure why they don't just run something from Dutch during the winter?

Be bold. Construct a multi-level parking garage on Dutch and build a pedestrian tunnel from the garage to the atheletic complex.

There are tunnels through out the campus already. I wonder if any connect to the athletic complex?

Edited by danefan

Yes, they do, to an extent. They go from the main podium into the old gym, and you come out right near the doors for the football lockeroom, or near the pool. From there, you can go up to the old gym, and out the doors to SEFCU. So for non-parkers, there is no excuse for getting to games.

Edward Durell Stone is turning over in his grave. When he designed the new campus, ALL parking lots were suppose to be UNDERGROUND.

Also, the walk from Dutch is NO worse than most college campuses that I've seen. Ever been to the carrier dome; you are lucky if they even plow their lots. For lacrosse, they close their economy lots and force you to park in their premium lots where they charge you a small mortgage payment to walk straight up hill for approximately the same distance Dutch is from SEFCU. Than even with a small crowd (5-7 K for lacrosse) you have time to listen to the post game show and post post game show and post post post game show before you are even out of the lot.

Parking and the "walk" are NOT an issue. Spend your money on the inside of SEFCU. Other than maybe shuttles, I would not invest a buffalo nickel on parking. UA has more than enough already...............