UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

Yes, they do, to an extent. They go from the main podium into the old gym, and you come out right near the doors for the football lockeroom, or near the pool. From there, you can go up to the old gym, and out the doors to SEFCU. So for non-parkers, there is no excuse for getting to games.

96 , when I went to UA late 60's, early 70's this extension from the Podium to the Gym was only a rumor? Believe me I lived in the tunnels and only came out to get to the dorms [also rumored to have connectors]. It was also rumored that these connectors did exist, but they were NOT open to students. Believe me I searched every time the wind blew across the podium {which was pretty much every winter day}.

Out of pure curiosity, do they really exist (if so, which ones) and are they widely used today???

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, they do, to an extent. They go from the main podium into the old gym, and you come out right near the doors for the football lockeroom, or near the pool. From there, you can go up to the old gym, and out the doors to SEFCU. So for non-parkers, there is no excuse for getting to games.

96 , when I went to UA late 60's, early 70's this extension from the Podium to the Gym was only a rumor? Believe me I lived in the tunnels and only came out to get to the dorms [also rumored to have connectors]. It was also rumored that these connectors did exist, but they were NOT open to students. Believe me I searched every time the wind blew across the podium {which was pretty much every winter day}.

Out of pure curiosity, do they really exist (if so, which ones) and are they widely used today???

They definitely exist. Back in the day, we had a couple of late night "drag-offs" with the Cushman Carts under the Podium. A bunch of Frats had a very good knowledge of those tunnels. They were (the ones that took you out of the podium) not easy to find...and let's just say we had "inside help".

As you note, they are not open students on a regular basis...and they've used a ton of different excuses over the years.

They could open them up...but they will always cite liability concerns.

Even if they open them up, are they large enough to accommodate the numbers that might use them, especially after games? Let alone the claustrophobic or the fearful entering a hundreds-yard long tunnel at night. Might be OK for individuals, but doesn't seem like a practical solution for crowds.

I heard about those connecting tunnels too when I was in school. I have been told that they are used today mostly for storage. Dane, I like your concept of "inside help." Cute!

Hmm...I'd test this out but sounds like they are off limits to me, the student.

I use the tunnels every day in the winter, no other way to get around campus if you're someone like me who belongs in the Florida sun lol.

The tunnels are pretty big. I have gone running down in those. One loop is just shy of 1200 meters. I heard there is a .67 mile marker somewhere down there. Professors jog down there too.

The tunnels are wider than the sidewalk to Dutch Quad parking lot (maybe triple or double as wide) and could easily accommodate people walking to their parked cars.

Edited by UA_MA_2000

There is no tunnel connecting the Physical Education Bldg to the Main Podium.

I'm skeptical of tunnels to the PE building. It's relatively far from the podium and would have to be buried pretty deep to clear the track and field "bowl". The podium is just one massive structure and the tunnels aren't really tunnels at all- just the basement really. In terms of practicality it doesn't make any sense. Probably just mis-remembering things, D96..."Brian Williams style" LOL :P

Edited by madDOG

I'm skeptical of tunnels to the PE building. It's relatively far from the podium and would have to be buried pretty deep to clear the track and field "bowl". The podium is just one massive structure and the tunnels aren't really tunnels at all- just the basement really. In terms of practicality it doesn't make any sense. Probably just mis-remembering things, D96..."Brian Williams style" LOL :P

The only tunnel that links anywhere from the PE Bldg is a high-temp water line trench enclosure that goes back to one of the quads. Maybe there's a secret set of Ed Stone drawings out there I don't know about.

One other elephant in the room (well, internet) is our homepage—both Albany.edu and our sports page. Damn they're busy. And the homepage is way too centered on low-grade news stories. I hope the new branding team will make these a priority—not currently a great first impression.

BU, for example, does a nice job with both:

http://www.bu.edu

http://www.goterriers.com

One other elephant in the room (well, internet) is our homepageboth Albany.edu and our sports page. Damn they're busy. And the homepage is way too centered on low-grade news stories. I hope the new branding team will make these a prioritynot currently a great first impression.

BU, for example, does a nice job with both:

http://www.bu.edu

http://www.goterriers.com

I believe someone has posted here that the school has a contract with someone for the website..and do they also so the online tickets..I think it's linked. We may be locked in a contract(?)