UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

UA to create new VP position focused on branding

madDOG

• Replies 117
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Whoever has that contract needs to go to back to web design school. I just finished a ton of web design related classes (I've been working in IT for a decade, went back to UA to get my BS which I'll be done with this December) and if I was still writing code to look like that, I'd get low marks. They need to really hit those sites hard with better CSS, implement HTML5, etc. There are TONS of new technologies/practices that we aren't using glancing over the source code of the pages.

Edited by Ilko

It's the state, sometimes you're locked into 5 year contracts. And when people suck you're still stuck with them.

I don't know if that's the issue, I just remember someone mentioning it before on here. Maybe someone else can clarify if they know for sure?

I wouldn't be surprised if they were tied to something. It might not be a contract on design, but it might be a maintenance contract (if it goes down, said contractor will bring it back up - not necessarily alter/edit/improve anything).

Locked into a web contract? with who? Angelfire? altavista?

It's an embarrassment.

I'm sure we all all on the same page...that athletic website is horrendous...freaking joke. Can't believe someone in the athletic department approved that abortion.

School currently has an RFP out to design a new Athletics website. I know that they are looking to redesign the main site as well, but i believe they are independent projects, according to Benson

Man...seriously...I know I'm often quick to post/offer my $0.02 and the site was one of the issues I mentioned a couple of weeks ago (not saying it was my post or anything, just sheer coincidence)...but this Benson guy is reading minds of people here. RFP? NICE! I like it.

Edited by Ilko

I didn't mean to insinuate it was my post that had anything to do with it lol (sheer coincidence). Just saying, no one seemed to mention it in the last 2 big threads we've had about 'what needs to improve'...but I'm glad Benson sees what needs to be fixed...whether it's BPF's doing or some other means.

Edited by Ilko

I can't imagine anyone taking the position of AD and NOT noticing that bumbling slop of a website.

I sent the athletic department a photo of SEFCU arena recommending that they replace the one they had on the site...... with the one I sent

(Funny thing, they snapped the photo during a basketball game for their writeup) They never thought about putting it up. The old one was horrid. The photo is the one they have now for facilities and sefcu. If anyone remembers the old one, it's a huge improvement.

I shouldn't have had to 'recommend' replacing their photo... let's hope those days are over now.

Edited by uofalbany

Man...seriously...I know I'm often quick to post/offer my $0.02 and the site was one of the issues I mentioned a couple of weeks ago (not saying it was my post or anything, just sheer coincidence)...but this Benson guy is reading minds of people here. RFP? NICE! I like it.

Or just doing his job. The ideas posted here aren't rocket science. We just haven't had someone there that actually wanted to implement the obvious changes. Him and his staff don't need to read a forum to know what needs to be done. (I mean how many times do they hear "we need a new scoreboard" from fans.. I'm sure ten times every home game. They know the issues, it's just implementing change takes time, policy adjustments and/or related to money).Someone else pointed out most of these issues have been on going for years. People want to see change with Benson, and so far him and his staff have been productive. May take time as others pointed out but I do like the little things here and there.

I saw him chatting with Micheal Castellana at the game yesterday. Always good to see him talking with business people.

Edited by MsGDG