UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

SUNY Buffalo

I don't think it comes down to one loss (for any team), so that's just silly.

In terms of WNY "brand", those schools are probably equal to Albany, but that's beside the point. My opinion is that Buffalo doesn't like to be 'peered' with other SUNY centers (notably SBU and Albany), so they avoid it. Probably still smarting about being taken over by the state or something - although strangely they wanted to be "The" state univ. of NY. Good thing for Albany and SBU they're building a nice rivalry between the schools. Buffalo is not, any longer, in a different category -- splitting hairs.

In terms of WNY "brand", those schools are probably equal to Albany, but that's beside the point.

Equal to Albany? Please open the Buffalo News or watch sports coverage and tell me who gets talked about more. Niagara or Albany..

My opinion is that Buffalo doesn't like to be 'peered' with other SUNY centers (notably SBU and Albany), so they avoid it.

Right we avoid it... That's why we have played Stony Brook twice in football and why we play Bingo in hoops..

Probably still smarting about being taken over by the state or something

"Taken over by the state"... Ummmm ok.

In terms of WNY "brand", those schools are probably equal to Albany, but that's beside the point.

Equal to Albany? Please open the Buffalo News or watch sports coverage and tell me who gets talked about more. Niagara or Albany..

My opinion is that Buffalo doesn't like to be 'peered' with other SUNY centers (notably SBU and Albany), so they avoid it.

Right we avoid it... That's why we have played Stony Brook twice in football and why we play Bingo in hoops..

How do you explain playing Bing in hoops but not Albany? Is your team just looking for an easy W instead of actually playing someone who could give you a run for your money? If that isn't avoiding, not sure what is. And don't say it was because of date conflicts...if Buffalo wanted it, Brown would most likely do it.

Edited by Ilko

Right because scheduling in college sports is *all* about just picking up the phone and saying "lets play".. The Bingo Series was being set up before that department imploded and it was being set up because they are a more WNY team than Albany.

I love this statement..

"don't say it was because of date conflicts"

"if Buffalo wanted it, Brown would most likely do it."

You have to put "most likely" in there because you're speaking out of your rear end. Has Albany picked up the phone to ask UB? Are you positive?

Maybe Albany is avoiding UB because playing 6-7 out of the AE before going 18-1 against about the worst conference in hoops looks ok. Lord forbid you risk looking bad by losing to a SUNY school out of conference. By not playing us you can keep beating the false SUNY parity drum.

See I can post speculative bull-chit just like you.

--

Look a loss to Albany in hoops would sting, I ain't gonna lie about that. When we lose to the Purps it hurts but such things happen. I don't think the Bulls would have too much trouble with UA but you never know what happens on the floor, by all rights you were a better team than NU this season and look how that worked out.

I will sat that If UB was "afraid of embarrassing themselves" they would not avoid the minor risk of a hoops loss, they would avoid the major risk of a FBall loss. Since were playing football I think we can put down the "scared" card. Seriously if we played Albany in hoops and lost it would bug me for a few days, if you guys beat us in football I may call for the coaches job.

I don't think UB is avoiding UA and I don't think UA is avoiding UB. I think neither school really sees a big benefit to the game vs some other more strategically placed OOC games. FWIW I have said UB should begin to consider if its time to trade the Big4 for the SUNY4.

At the end of the day the decision will likely fall to ticket sales and home and home games against the Purps and Griffs will always out draw the Danes and Wolves.

First off, we already discussed Niagara. We were severely beat up that game (3/5ths of the starting lineup was either out or shouldn't have been playing).

Also, worst conference in hoops? lol. Cause the MAC is sooooo amazing (mid-major conference just like us). #homer

Moving on...

Bingo is WNY? Even Syracuse (further west geographically than Bingo glancing quickly at Google maps) is not WNY. Both are CNY. So, the WNY bit is irrelevant. Binghamton might as well be northern PA (13 miles from the border of NY/PA).

As for the game supposedly being decided on before the program imploded...did you live in a cave the last half decade? Binghamton hasn't won more than 8 games (including OOC) since 2009-2010 when they won 13 overall. Before the program imploded? The program imploded a while ago, where have you been?

2010-11: 8

2011-12: 2

2012-13: 3

2013-14: 7

2014-15: 6

Overall record in those years was 26-128, good for 17%. Albany on the other hand went 102-66 in those same years, good for 60%. Who do you think would draw a bigger crowd? The absolute CRAP of D1 NCAA basketball? Or a perennial conference challenger and 3-time defending conference champion who is only 1hr further east (Buff to Bing = 3hr20min, Buff to Albany = 4hr20min).

Get out of here with that nonsense.

Not saying Buffalo is 'scared', but they sure as hell are feeding on weaker AE competition. If it's about ticket sales, as you say, then why schedule BU? They haven't been relevant since Tiki "Unibrow" Mayben was there. BU is the epitome of garbage right now. If you want a good kick back or to get people in the seats, you schedule good teams such as SBU and UA. Fact.

Edited by Ilko

Actually, the quote is correct: The private University of Buffalo was in financial do-do, and went to the State for help. The State agreed to absorb the school, and merge it into the SUNY system.

But, let's not let the facts get in the way of your comment.

BTW, nice game against WVU. The SUNY's acquitted themselves well today.

"Also, worst conference in hoops? lol. Cause the MAC is sooooo amazing (mid-major conference just like us). #homer"

MAC was 10th in RPI with four or five teams below 100. AE was *29th* out of 33 in RPI with *1* team below 100. Yes the MAC is much better and deeper than the AE.

"Bingo is WNY? Even Syracuse (further west geographically than Bingo glancing quickly at Google maps) is not WNY. "

I said "More WNY" as in closer school where more kins from WNY go. Please don't put words in my mouth.

"Binghamton hasn't won more than 8 games (including OOC) since 2009-2010 when they won 13 overall."

And my sources in AD at the time said UB was in the process of setting up with Bingo in 2010.

"If it's about ticket sales, as you say, then why schedule BU?"

Because it's closer than Albany and more families in Erie and Niagara County send their kids to Bingo than to smAlbany.

Scheduling a 106RPI Stony Brook or a 96RPI Albany does nothing for us. I know when you're in a conference like the AE those games are rare but we played teams between below a 120 RPI 14 times in conference play. What UB needs to do is schedule more 25-75 teams out of conference and they won't be finding that in teh AE any time soon.

Edited by ubbullrun