UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-names-athletic-facility-Tom-and-Mary-6559019.php

this is phenomenal...man, I really hope they can take at least a little bit of that money and buy a scoreboard for SEFCU.

and a new website

Slightly off-topic, but as this is a day of good news for the program: A few weeks ago I "hard-pressed" the athletics staff for some answers regarding the website and I was told "We have a vendor and are just waiting for a contract to be finalized."

So, with that said, hopefully we can see a deliverable in a few months.

• Like 1

There will be plenty of other naming opportunities. Field house, luxury suites, scoreboards, etc.

Take a look at Bridgeforth Stadium at JMU. Same name for a long time. They raised a ton of private money for the rebuild without having to resell rights.

Yes, I want to just be happy with a $10 million donation, but I have such lofty dreams for where we are headed!

Hopefully there will be a windfall of new revenue streams...in part created by this donation.

I believe the family has a lot of UA alums so that's very cool they have a connection.

"The Casey family has a long legacy at UAlbany. Tom and Mary’s son, Thomas Casey, is a member of the Class of 1978 and their daughter Melissa (Casey) Faas has a graduate degree from the Class of 2001. One grandchild, Meghan (Casey) Wilkinson, has a Bachelor’s degree from the Class of 2009, while grandson Michael Faas is currently a UAlbany freshman."

CQ0NlFKWUAA6rvR.jpg

Edited by MsGDG

More detailed press release from the school:

http://www.albany.edu/news/63188.php

Athletics Program Receives $10 Million

ALBANY, N.Y. (October 8, 2015) -- University at Albany President Robert J. Jones and Foundation President George R. Hearst III today announced that the University has received a $10 million gift to support the football stadium and other facilities, expand scholarships for student-athletes, and address additional priorities in athletics.

The gift was made by The Bernard and Millie Children’s Foundation, which was established by the son of Bernard and Millie Duker, William Duker ’75, of Westerlo and New York City, his wife Sharon (Casey) Duker, and their son William "West" Duker. The stadium will be named Tom & Mary Casey Stadium, in honor of Sharon (Casey) Duker’s parents.

"This gift reflects the wonderful values Tom and Mary Casey instilled in their children about the importance of education and service to community,” said University at Albany President Robert J. Jones. “We are deeply grateful to the Bernard and Millie Children’s Foundation for this investment, which will have a positive impact on our athletics programs, our student-athletes, and the UAlbany experience for many years to come.”

UAlbany Foundation President George R. Hearst III said, "Tom & Mary Casey Stadium is a treasure for the University and the entire Capital Region. This remarkable and generous gift will open doors for student-athletes hoping to attend UAlbany, and will ensure that this University and community can be proud of this stadium for years to come. But this gift is much more -- it is validation of the excellence of a UAlbany education."

New York State Senator Neil Breslin said, "Partnering with the University at Albany in 2010, I was able to help secure $10 million in funding for their new state-of-the art Athletic Sports Complex. Now, through this generous and significant gift, our region will be able to enjoy a top-notch community facility, the Tom and Mary Casey Stadium, and more students will be able to attend this great university through scholarships. I speak for the whole Capital Region when I extend my thanks and sincere appreciation to the Casey and Duker families.”

The Casey family has a long legacy at UAlbany. Tom and Mary’s son, Thomas Casey, is a member of the Class of 1978 and their daughter Melissa (Casey) Faas has a graduate degree from the Class of 2001. One grandchild, Meghan (Casey) Wilkinson, has a Bachelor’s degree from the Class of 2009, while grandson Michael Faas is currently a UAlbany freshman.

"Our parents passed down enduring family values," said siblings Thomas Casey ‘78, Sharon (Casey) Duker, and Melissa (Casey) Faas ’01. "We wanted this gift to represent those values and strong sense of community as well as their appreciation for academics and athletics, which they impressed upon all of us. We are pleased to support UAlbany’s tradition of academic and athletic excellence and proud to see our parents’ names attached to a great facility that is a valuable University and community resource. "

The stadium was completed in September 2013 as part of the University’s new multi-sport complex. Designed as a source of pride for the campus community, the region, and UAlbany’s 169,000 alumni, it was funded through the New York State legislature and private support. The stadium’s opening marked a signature moment for UAlbany athletics as its football program entered the Colonial Athletics Association (CAA), one of the nation’s top Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) conferences.

The 8,500-seat facility features a scoreboard with a high-definition video display and point-source sound system behind the south end zone. In 2013, the stadium’s field was named in honor of Bob Ford, who served as head coach of UAlbany’s football team for 44 years, shepherding the program from its inception to its admission into CAA. The field will now be known as Bob Ford Field at Casey Stadium.

"Our mission is to provide our student-athletes with a world class collegiate experience that starts with nationally ranked academic programs; continues with our championship coaches, administrators, staff and is complemented by our first class facilities." said UAlbany Athletics Director Mark Benson. "This transformational gift will enable us to improve that student-athlete experience for many years to come. The Casey and Duker families share our vision for the future of our athletic program and we offer our heartfelt thanks and gratitude for their generosity and valued commitment to the University."

Edited by MsGDG

So the $10M pays for a permanent name, right?

Could be risky 15-20 years down the line if the program grows.

Was thinking the same thing. Had no timetable on the naming rights.

Plenty of ways to acknowledge a bigger gift - see Robert K. Kraft Field at Lawrence A. Wien Stadium at Baker Athletics Complex of Columbia University

Yeah. Thank God the guy who invented Cheez Wiz wasn't a UA grad! Although to follow an earlier post's thread, there's still time for "Bob Ford Field at Tom and Mary Casey Stadium at Fuccillo Sports Complex at Trump South Side of the Campus" It would be HUUUUUUUUUGEAHHHH!

Hope the donors don't waste time going to the Big Purple Fan Forum….but if you do, thanks folks…we're just having us some fun :-)

BTW, Google seems to have smartened up (at least on my computer) because when I Google big purple fans I used to get like big purple fans….from Amazon and Overstock.com. LOL. Now I get the BPF Forum.

OK, I need to go do something productive…..

T-U story with a few pictures

I'm no expert but what are the chances this starts to grease the skids a bit if you will with other donors. Sometimes it's hard to be the first but perhaps with smart utilization of these funds they can prove that this school can be a good steward of a donated dollar.

At least, along with the Massry gift, puts the U on the radar as a possible recipient of major donations, they don't just have to give to RPI or the other usual suspects.

$10 MILLION!

BREAKING: Pres. Jones announces @UAlbanySports has received $10M gift from the Bernard and Millie Foundation (Sharon, Bill, & West Duker).

sorry bout the amount......the line of thinking was going to be the same amount as was donated to Alb. Med of 25M..with that said...10M is a HUGE donation....

Maybe it is none of my business; but where does the money come from to support the Foundation, 25M to Albany Med., and now 10M for UA. In other words, what line of work were the Duker's and Casey's involved? You mentioned we would know the names, but sorry I do not. Just curious and thanks for the incredible gift in any case.

{Forget my ignorance and request for information. I googled the foundation} Thanks

Edited by dslyank

So the $10M pays for a permanent name, right?

Could be risky 15-20 years down the line if the program grows.

$10,000,000 invested in relatively safe AAA rated 30 year bonds would generate about $600,000 a year in income and you would still have $10,000,000 at the end of 30 years. So if the donation was a lump sum amount, you call the donation $28 Million dollars. Sounds a little better for lifetime naming rights.

That said, anyone know if it is a lump sum donation or if it was set up as some sort of annuity? I mean it could be in a foundation and give the university $500K/yr for 20 years or $250k/yr for 40 years and they could still call it a $10 million donation...