UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

@ Kentucky 11/13

I went to the TU to check out the coverage of last night's game. Of course, I came away disappointed. When you look at the home page of the online version of the paper (the only format available to me), you see coverage only on Siena. Come on! We went to the NCAA's last year while LCC had already cleaned out their lockers. We played the second-ranked team a lot closer than LCC against its opponent. Further, when you dig deeper and finally find the article on our game, you can see one picture on our game. The caption identifies the Kentucky player beneath the photo, but there's no name associated with the UAlbany player contesting the shot. That's pretty poor coverage!

I went to the TU to check out the coverage of last night's game. Of course, I came away disappointed. When you look at the home page of the online version of the paper (the only format available to me), you see coverage only on Siena. Come on! We went to the NCAA's last year while LCC had already cleaned out their lockers. We played the second-ranked team a lot closer than LCC against its opponent. Further, when you dig deeper and finally find the article on our game, you can see one picture on our game. The caption identifies the Kentucky player beneath the photo, but there's no name associated with the UAlbany player contesting the shot. That's pretty poor coverage!

The problem is that the TU has two writers for Mens College Basketball. Mark Singelais covers Siena. He could do a better and provide more coverage, but all in all he does a pretty good job. He seems to genuinely care about the team he follows and is a fan. Tim Wilkin is responsible for covering Albany. I know people who know him and say that he is a good guy, but he absolutely SUCKS at his job. He isn't a college basketball fan (as far as I can tell) and obviously isn't a fan of UAlbany. My 9 year old kid could provide better written more timely info on the team than he does. He says that UA and Will Brown aren't as media friendly as Siena is and that's why he doesn't write more. I say BS. His job is to go out and look for info. He obviously doesn't care to do so.

Edited by godanesgo99

He says that UA and Will Brown aren't as media friendly as Siena is and that's why he doesn't write more. I say BS. His job is to go out and look for info. He obviously doesn't care to do so.

When Singelais covered UAlbany everybody complained about the lack of coverage, so the specific reporter is not the problem. That would imply that there is a bias; the next step would be to figure out of it is against Will Brown and men's basketball or against UAlbany as a whole. To evaluate that fairly, we can't dismiss the possibility that UA and Will Brown are not as accommodating as they can be. We also cannot dismiss the facts that Siena has a 20+ year D1 lead on UA, and the newspaper has the naming rights to the arena in which Siena plays.

• Like 1

Mark did a poor job of covering UA when he did cover it, but not nearly as bad as Tim does. UA was also not what it is today then. Mark seems to be a Siena fan, and probably was then as well.

I'm not dismissing the bias, the TU Center, or the fact that Siena has a richer D1 history, those are all facts. I'm more saying that Tim is obviously not a fan. Regardless of bias, if the person who was covering UA was a fan of the team and not more concerned about what horses were running today there would be more coverage.

The problem is that the TU has two writers for Mens College Basketball. Mark Singelais covers Siena. He could do a better and provide more coverage, but all in all he does a pretty good job. He seems to genuinely care about the team he follows and is a fan. Tim Wilkin is responsible for covering Albany. I know people who know him and say that he is a good guy, but he absolutely SUCKS at his job. He isn't a college basketball fan (as far as I can tell) and obviously isn't a fan of UAlbany. My 9 year old kid could provide better written more timely info on the team than he does. He says that UA and Will Brown aren't as media friendly as Siena is and that's why he doesn't write more. I say BS. His job is to go out and look for info. He obviously doesn't care to do so.

I could be way off here, but I think I remember seeing some discussion here a couple years ago about the reason why UA and Coach Brown are more tight-lipped around Times Union reporters. I don't remember whether somebody here definitely mentioned a kind of betrayal of confidence or whether it was something that I wrongfully deduced. Brown is normally fairly vocal with the media, particularly when he's dealing with media on a more national level, so I think he may be pretty gun-shy for a reason.

I

He says that UA and Will Brown aren't as media friendly as Siena is and that's why he doesn't write more. I say BS. His job is to go out and look for info. He obviously doesn't care to do so.

When Singelais covered UAlbany everybody complained about the lack of coverage, so the specific reporter is not the problem. That would imply that there is a bias; the next step would be to figure out of it is against Will Brown and men's basketball or against UAlbany as a whole. To evaluate that fairly, we can't dismiss the possibility that UA and Will Brown are not as accommodating as they can be. We also cannot dismiss the facts that Siena has a 20+ year D1 lead on UA, and the newspaper has the naming rights to the arena in which Siena plays.

I don't remember the complaint with mark s when he covered albany so much as lack of coverage as much as it was that jerk had to put a negative slant on everything albany .

As far as the tu complaint that albany does not do enough to accommodate them . What a joke . This is the same paper that put on the front page editorial ( not sports ) that albany did not need a new football stadium . I haven't given them a dime since that day and feel no sympathy towards them

Edited by bob87

Kentucky over NJIT by 30 tonight if that makes us feel any better.

Sure does. Like I said on the pre-season rankings...having NJIT higher than us, SB, AND UVM was a joke and a slap to our collective faces. Don't care how good their future has been looking lately.

Kentucky over NJIT by 30 tonight if that makes us feel any better.

Sure does. Like I said on the pre-season rankings...having NJIT higher than us, SB, AND UVM was a joke and a slap to our collective faces. Don't care how good their future has been looking lately.

Seems someone is taking some ranking way too serious . We play them day after thanksgiving so that is the day to be better than them .

I really like the expectations. We can probably guess who some of those guys were:

“As crazy as it sounds, we had some guys that were upset after that game,” Brown said. “They were upset with the outcome, with some of the things we didn’t do on the floor. As much as no wants to believe it, they wanted to win that game.”

I could be way off here, but I think I remember seeing some discussion here a couple years ago about the reason why UA and Coach Brown are more tight-lipped around Times Union reporters. I don't remember whether somebody here definitely mentioned a kind of betrayal of confidence or whether it was something that I wrongfully deduced. Brown is normally fairly vocal with the media, particularly when he's dealing with media on a more national level, so I think he may be pretty gun-shy for a reason.

I thought the proverbial "final nail in the coffin" that completed the disconnect between men's basketball and the Times Union happened years ago when Brown and his following thought the Times Union reported him to the America East commissioner about comments he made on his website about scheduling...comments that resulted in a one game suspension.

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3624&hl=nero&do=findComment&comment=19046

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=3623&hl=nero

If a grudge at all effects the level of reporting then it is time to mend the fences, but it would still be difficult to expect the Times Union to be impartial when they have the naming rights to the building that houses the area's competing program.