UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB: @ Boston University 11/16

Complaining about refs?!?!?!? Really? A lot wrong with that game, lack of D intensity #1, did Singletary sit at all? This game is chump change and we lost with out giving bench guards much playing time. Brown has to own his lack of confidence in his bench that he only perpetuates by giving them no time in the OOC.

Who complained about the refs?

No one complained about the refs in terms of the game. Refs were fine. But they did miss one or two calls (which were mentioned in this thread)...happens. In fact, there is missed calls in every game, for every team. Not sure what bug bit Jali.

Sucks to lose but we have to remember that this is OOC and other than being a 'tune up' for the games to come, has little do with our success in conference. I'll be fine come Thursday and happy to be at SEFCU again :).

Refs were NOT fine. For both teams. The place was empty, you could hear a ton of the "jawing" between Will and the refs, and at one point even Coach Jones screamed to his bench, "That guy is an a$$hole", talking about a ref. Coach Jones is as easy going as they come.

The T was garbage, the ref literally then said, "Get him off the floor or he's gone" to Coach iati, when Will was within the Coaching box. Another ref was blowing his whistle in Jon's ear to break a huddle when BU was still in their huddle. He did it not once...but three times.

The game wasn't lost because of the refs. The game was a stinker, pure and simple. Frankly, it seemed like we should have been up 10. BU did the same exact thing to Northeastern the other night...nickle and diming their way to a near win (3 pt OT loss). They lived and died by the three.

Our bigs were tremendous. Rowley is looking like the guy we've been told he would be. Stire is as tough as they get...and a total junkyard dog. And Charles...seems a bit lost at times but man, he's going to terrorize the AE from 15 feet in.

Our guards stunk. Evan was scared to drive...finally doing so in the last 1:30. He made two meh DI Patriot League guards look like two guys who should be starting in the ACC. I was really disappointed with his game. Hooley...his shot will come around, I'm not worried. Sanders has a hamstring injury but played his tail off on D. His offense was putrid.

I actually think the one criticism I had of Coach in this game was that he didn't go to Cremo and Andrews enough. It's his Achilles heel: It's tough to be a frosh under Will, and it's even tougher to be a JUCO who makes a mistake. Jamir was completely lost on the last possession of the first half, and Will politely let him know so. In the end, I think Cremo's intensity could have given Evan the break he needed...and I think Jamir's stroke could have helped us (I hear he can shoot better than a player he reminds me of, Lou Jordan).

I am more frustrated than disappointed by this loss. We are 2-27 from three for the year, and under 69% from the charity stripe. These are two areas we historically do well.

The team will figure it out, and if we get half-way decent guard play...we will be very good in AE play.

Edited by Dane96

Complaining about refs?!?!?!? Really? A lot wrong with that game, lack of D intensity #1, did Singletary sit at all? This game is chump change and we lost with out giving bench guards much playing time. Brown has to own his lack of confidence in his bench that he only perpetuates by giving them no time in the OOC.

No one complained about the refs in terms of the game. Refs were fine. But they did miss one or two calls (which were mentioned in this thread)...happens. In fact, there is missed calls in every game, for every team. Not sure what bug bit Jali.

Sucks to lose but we have to remember that this is OOC and other than being a 'tune up' for the games to come, has little do with our success in conference. I'll be fine come Thursday and happy to be at SEFCU again :).

Refs were NOT fine. For both teams. The place was empty, you could hear a ton of the "jawing" between Will and the refs, and at one point even Coach Jones screamed to his bench, "That guy is an a$$hole", talking about a ref. Coach Jones is as easy going as they come.

The T was garbage, the ref literally then said, "Get him off the floor or he's gone" to Coach iati, when Will was within the Coaching box. Another ref was blowing his whistle in Jon's ear to break a huddle when BU was still in their huddle. He did it not once...but three times.

The game wasn't lost because of the refs. The game was a stinker, pure and simple. Frankly, it seemed like we should have been up 10. BU did the same exact thing to Northeastern the other night...nickle and diming their way to a near win (3 pt OT loss). They lived and died by the three.

Our bigs were tremendous. Rowley is looking like the guy we've been told he would be. Stire is as tough as they get...and a total junkyard dog. And Charles...seems a bit lost at times but man, he's going to terrorize the AE from 15 feet in.

Our guards stunk. Evan was scared to drive...finally doing so in the last 1:30. He made two meh DI Patriot League guards look like two guys who should be starting in the ACC. I was really disappointed with his game. Hooley...his shot will come around, I'm not worried. Sanders has a hamstring injury but played his tail off on D. His offense was putrid.

I actually think the one criticism I had of Coach in this game was that he didn't go to Cremo and Andrews enough. It's his Achilles heel: It's tough to be a frosh under Will, and it's even tougher to be a JUCO who makes a mistake. Jamir was completely lost on the last possession of the first half, and Will politely let him know so. In the end, I think Cremo's intensity could have given Evan the break he needed...and I think Jamir's stroke could have helped us (I hear he can shoot better than a player he reminds me of, Lou Jordan).

I am more frustrated than disappointed by this loss. We are 2-27 from three for the year, and under 69% from the charity stripe. These are two areas we historically do well.

The team will figure it out, and if we get half-way decent guard play...we will be very good in AE play.

Guess we can chalk that up to terrible commentators. Didn't know any of that was going on and the camera's didn't show it. However, as far as the actual basketball calls themselves I didn't see anything terribly atrocious other than the 2 things I posted. I've seen MUCH worse at SEFCU with guys like Whitey, etc.

IMO, we got the benefit of the whistle almost the entire night...we gave away so many free throws AGAIN in a HS gym no less......watching that game was as frustrating as I can remember with the horrific shooting and turnovers late....as good as Evan is...he got outplayed by a Freshman Richie Cunningham which annoyed the hell out of me and Peters shot is incredibly off....UGH

• Like 1

Guess we can chalk that up to terrible commentators. Didn't know any of that was going on and the camera's didn't show it. However, as far as the actual basketball calls themselves I didn't see anything terribly atrocious other than the 2 things I posted. I've seen MUCH worse at SEFCU with guys like Whitey, etc.

For the most part, the basketball calls were ok with respect to the new rules: they let the bigs play, which was refreshing. They called too many hand-checking fouls for my liking...but the problem was they were inconsistent for the most part on these calls...missing push offs and hand checks more often than not.

IMO, we got the benefit of the whistle almost the entire night...we gave away so many free throws AGAIN in a HS gym no less......watching that game was as frustrating as I can remember with the horrific shooting and turnovers late....as good as Evan is...he got outplayed by a Freshman Richie Cunningham which annoyed the hell out of me and Peters shot is incredibly off....UGH

LOL. I was at the game with NU Hoop Fan, and he literally goes (at the outset): Richie Cunnigham is on the court. I was confused at first because I didn't have a roster. Then I realized what he meant. We then decided he was more "OPIE" than "Richie".

The kid is actually much better in person than I think he showed on T.V....but still, Evan should have been able to break the kid down. I even saw Will mutter to Josh and John that he was frustrated about Evan settling for jumpers.

Again, this is a veteran bunch at the guard position, and I think this game is more of an aberration than the norm. If we get normal guard play, we win this game by 10.

in the long run this game should be a learning experience, the problem is it HURTS losing a game again that we should have won by prob. close to 10 points.....

This is more or less my feeling. More disappointed with HOW we lost than THAT we lost..especially with the team leading almost the entire way. Not sure if the guards were a bit tired..and/or Sanders not at 100%..or if they thought they could just walk in with a win..but it seemed like they lacked energy.

I'm not overly concerned with the shooting. I trust previous season-long performances over the results of two games..but maybe our front court play means we won't need to focus on three-point shooting as much as last year (17 3PA per game). And it hurts to miss any free throws..but I'm not too concerned there. Again..we have good free throw shooters..and the team shot 70% last night. Last year's team shot 67% through their first three games (including 3-8 against Providence)..but finished at 76% for the year.

Tired is probably part of it. Our 'big 3' played 30+ minutes each (Peter 38, Evan 34, and Ray 33). Will needs to use Cremo/Andrews/Dallas more.

Regardless,we hit our FT's we win the game. We missed 8, if we make 6 of those it's ball game.

Edited by Ilko

The most annoying part is we got beat by a very bad team (maybe they will be better when their missing players return; but right now BU is awful.) BU chucked up 30 3's and made 1/3rd. If we make even 20% of our thirteen attempts, say just two or three instead of only one we win. Of the ten BU made a least two were beyond nba range [well they say I'd rather be lucky than good.}

We out played BU in pretty much every aspect of the game (shooting excluded). I think BU had less than 5 offensive rebounds the entire night and only once did they get a basket after an O-rebound. We constantly beat their bigs to the rim and blew by their guards at will. BU packed it in at the end when we seemed gassed and they lucked out (in my opinion) the win.

As for the ref's, I thought they were OK for the most part, except for (1) they did seem bent on keeping the UA bench quiet (and on the road sometimes your bench is your only inspiration) and (2) I think they totally blew the charge call which was reversed because it was inside the no charge circle. As I understand the rule {and by no means am I sure} you can not be charged with an offensive inside the circle; but the defender is allowed to play D as long as he does himself not commit a foul. Since the BU player was initially called and was more than obviously offensive and since the UA defender did in no way commit a foul {if he had committed a foul the initial call would have been on him and it would not have been called offensive in the first place}; therefore when the call was reversed for being in the circle it should have resulted in a "no call" and fouls shots should NOT have been awarded. Anyhow, I would appreciate hearing from anyone about my interpretation of the rule and a clarification.

The most annoying part is we got beat by a very bad team (maybe they will be better when their missing players return; but right now BU is awful.) BU chucked up 30 3's and made 1/3rd. If we make even 20% of our thirteen attempts, say just two or three instead of only one we win. Of the ten BU made a least two were beyond nba range [well they say I'd rather be lucky than good.}

We out played BU in pretty much every aspect of the game (shooting excluded). I think BU had less than 5 offensive rebounds the entire night and only once did they get a basket after an O-rebound. We constantly beat their bigs to the rim and blew by their guards at will. BU packed it in at the end when we seemed gassed and they lucked out (in my opinion) the win.

As for the ref's, I thought they were OK for the most part, except for (1) they did seem bent on keeping the UA bench quiet (and on the road sometimes your bench is your only inspiration) and (2) I think they totally blew the charge call which was reversed because it was inside the no charge circle. As I understand the rule {and by no means am I sure} you can not be charged with an offensive inside the circle; but the defender is allowed to play D as long as he does himself not commit a foul. Since the BU player was initially called and was more than obviously offensive and since the UA defender did in no way commit a foul {if he had committed a foul the initial call would have been on him and it would not have been called offensive in the first place}; therefore when the call was reversed for being in the circle it should have resulted in a "no call" and fouls shots should NOT have been awarded. Anyhow, I would appreciate hearing from anyone about my interpretation of the rule and a clarification.

Ummmm...BU is not awful. They play VERY good D, play within their sets, and are similar to Hartford with chucking threes. Not sure what your analysis is based on...but after watching them live, they'd be in the mix in the AE. Their bigs are long...but not as skilled as ours. As a team, they are probably similar to UNH in AE pecking order.

Edited by Dane96

Ummmm...BU is not awful. They play VERY good D, play within their sets, and are similar to Hartford with chucking threes. Not sure what your analysis is based on...but after watching them live, they'd be in the mix in the AE. Their bigs are long...but not as skilled as ours. As a team, they are probably similar to UNH in AE pecking order.

OK let's agree to disagree. Maybe they are not awful, but the team I watched on stream last night granted missing two key players did not show me much. They live and die by the three and as far as playing good D; I did not see their D as being the cause of UA poor shooting. Most of our missed shots were wide open and not caused by BU playing contesting D. Until late when they started packing the lane and we seemed fatigued did their D have any effect on us what-so ever. UA out rebounded them especially offensively, had more steals 7-5, less to's 12 to 15 and if nothing else simply the eye test BU showed me little and even if I exaggerated my awful assessment, I do not see BU as a force in the AmEast. Of course you are entitled to your opinion and as always I respect that.

re: McKinley, IF they're redshirting him, I don't think he's allowed to travel with the team

Just before the technical, a BU player tucked the ball under his arm like a tailback before his move to the basket, no travel call, followed by a travel on our end. That's what set off whatever Brown said to the ref.