UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MBB vs. Maine, noon Friday

I couldn't watch the game so all I have is the box score. Holy crap, how is Maine 6-11 when they shoot 57% against us? Bad defense or were they just really hot tonight?

Someone named Issac Vann returned for Maine. He had been out for over a month. No one knows him yet but you will.

I think we all know who Vann is now. He has a bright future and Maine wouldn't be 6-11 had he been healthy.

Walsh is doing a nice job bringing in new talent and blending them with some of Woodward's holdovers. He's a good coach and someone Bing will probably be kicking themselves for not hiring when he was available. From all his interviews he seems like a classy guy in victory or defeat. Not everyone is like that.

Too much is being made over the time of the game as far as I'm concerned. It's on the schedule so show up and just play.

I do think after the tough Vermont and UNH games we were a little vulnerable and Maine was able to exploit that. To me, we're a little thin up front for the full conference schedule unless we're able to get Charles back.

Glad to see Hooley back and looking like his old self.

I couldn't watch the game so all I have is the box score. Holy crap, how is Maine 6-11 when they shoot 57% against us? Bad defense or were they just really hot tonight?

Someone named Issac Vann returned for Maine. He had been out for over a month. No one knows him yet but you will.

Better hold onto him. Wouldn't want him running off to Kansas St. or something like that.

A few observations:

1. We had 3 guys play 35+ minutes while they had one w/ greater than 30. I do believe we got tired. Not sure why the rotation got so short. I'm sure it was defensive lapses but I doubt Mike, Evan, and Peter didn't have any. I saw a lot of easy buckets.
  2. You can point to a lot of turns in a tight game like that but that 5-0 run to end the half was it for me. We had the ball and a 10 point lead w/ less than a minute left in the half. From there 2 TO's, no shots, and gave up 5 points.
  3. The question was asked how did Ray Sanders look. Not good. A step slow for sure. And the stats were ugly. 17 minutes, 5 TO's, 5 fouls, and 4 points. Not a healthy Ray Sanders stat line.
  4. Defense was not good (understatement), but we also just stopped scoring. 30 points in a half isn't awful but against that team it is. 7 points in the first 7 minutes of the second half? Against a team that gave up 48 in the first half.

On to the next game.

Edited by McFan

A few observations:

• We had 3 guys play 35+ minutes while they had one w/ greater than 30. I do believe we got tired. Not sure why the rotation got so short. I'm sure it was defensive lapses but I doubt Mike, Evan, and Peter didn't have any. I saw a lot of easy buckets.
  • You can point to a lot of turns in a tight game like that but that 5-0 run to end the half was it for me. We had the ball and a 10 point lead w/ less than a minute left in the half. From there 2 TO's, no shots, and gave up 5 points.
  • The question was asked how did Ray Sanders look. Not good. A step slow for sure. And the stats were ugly. 17 minutes, 5 TO's, 5 fouls, and 4 points. Not a healthy Ray Sanders stat line.
  • Defense was not good (understatement), but we also just stopped scoring. 30 points in a half isn't awful but against that team it is. 7 points in the first 7 minutes of the second half? Against a team that gave up 48 in the first half.
On to the next game.

There's a problem on the horizon that I don't think enough are paying attention to.

The rotation for all intents and purposes are 8 people right now. Singletary, Hooley, Sanders, Rowley, Stire, Cremo, Dallas and Peters.

- In the backcourt/wing we Hooly, Sanders and Singletary with Cremo coming off the bench

- In the front court Greg and Mike, Peters (who can't be used against Maine as he's way to slow) and Dallas playing out of position. Two other bigs that were recruited are not available. One is gone and the other due to his health concern which are very serious has a very small chance returning, if ever. That's the reality...

On the bench there is no one to go to in the front court as they have 3.5 guys there and 4.5 guards/wings.

Nichols and Andrews for whatever reason can't even get into the game. As the long AE season progresses this short rotation and lack of bodies will be exploited by the opposition. Any injuries like the one Sanders is dealing right now will even further paint this team into the corner. McKinely was always going to be redshirted so no surprise there. So this problem is not going away...I think we will struggle to keep up with the likes of SBU as this season progresses. Speaking of SBU, on the road...putting the lumber to UNH up 15 last I saw.

Edited by Clickclack

As for Ray, he did look a bit slow tonight and I think his injuries are the cause. However, on his fifth foul, it looked to me that he slipped and fell into the Maine player. Could just as easy been a NO call, in my opinion.

As for the loss as bad as it is; from what I have seen so far, others in the top 4 {especially vermont} better watch out. maine and umbc are better than advertised and will beat some of the elite. hampshire can sweep vermont maybe even jeopardizing a four finish and home play off. I have not seen lowell or hartford, but would not be surprise an upset or two from them also. This league maybe more of a scramble than most are thinking??