UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

John Maloney, Blaze Riorden Taken in 2016 MLL Collegiate Draft

They can get endorsements and also do camps/seminars etc. to generate income. Definitely nowhere remotely near the level of most leagues, but I suppose that's the tradeoff for hopefully playing the game you love.

I was alluding more to the fact that the general salary, per my google search, was 10-30k/yr. That's terrible. And supposedly many of them hold full-time jobs? But I guess if they can get up to 55-60k by doing camps and endorsements and such then maybe it aint' so bad. If I had the skills to play a sport for a living and make 60k, I'd do it in a heartbeat versus workin in IT lol.

Edited by Ilko

They can get endorsements and also do camps/seminars etc. to generate income. Definitely nowhere remotely near the level of most leagues, but I suppose that's the tradeoff for hopefully playing the game you love.

I was alluding more to the fact that the general salary, per my google search, was 10-30k/yr. That's terrible. And supposedly many of them hold full-time jobs? But I guess if they can get up to 55-60k by doing camps and endorsements and such then maybe it aint' so bad. If I had the skills to play a sport for a living and make 60k, I'd do it in a heartbeat versus workin in IT lol.

I have a friend who is a local high school Lax coach in Westchester County and works for a travel program where kids pay to play. We went out for the football games on Sunday and many of his Lax coaching friends were there. Big group of crazy lacrosse guys, it was fun. Anyway, one of the guys is a big player in the MLL and has been for years and another runs a high end travel team in the area and this subject sort of came up. Coaching within the expensive travel organizations, clinics, private lessons and endorsements is where these guys make their money and some do fairly well. The families of kids who are really good are willing to pay big money to have them be a part of the best travel programs in their area who are supported or coached by some of the big names in lacrosse. The exposure and connections they get to D1 programs from these programs is huge and parents are willing to pay a premium for it. The Lax community is a small one and the connections these programs have is what makes or breaks them as a company. The coaches and instructors they have on these travel teams and the clinics they do bring in very good revenue to these companies and the marquee names within the small Lax community allows them to charge a premium if they can get them. In turn those marquee names get paid well to lead the clinic or be an instructor or coach within the program. In basketball terms it would be like if Steph Curry or Kevin Durant or any other star in the NBA was the coach of your son's travel team or an instructor of a clinic. How much of a premium can you charge for those guys over a former college player who nobody knows? Obviously, the NBA example would never happen but in LAX the guys in the MLL are looked at in the same way. Most were well known in college and their hometown and work back in those areas where parents want that star name with the big connections to notice their kid. I'm not saying they are living a life of luxury from it but I don't think many are starving.

Needless to say it was a very interesting Sunday hanging out with this group and opened my eyes to a whole industry of youth and travel lacrosse and the path to playing D1 and getting scholarships. I know it is the same for hockey and many other sports but since lacrosse is a smaller community the access to the "legends of the game" is much greater.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...