UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts the seat 2016 Edition

Since the Hartford thread got off track and became a bitch session about the number 2535 and not the game itself, I figured it was time to move that conversation to a new thread.

Positives:

- UA led the AE in attendance for the regular season

- Attendance has been slowly rising year over year

- Marketing has improved under Benson

- There has been some major donations to the Athletic programs (Thank you Casey family!)

- 2 great local kids on the roster for at least the next few years (Cremo/Stire)

- Shuttle from Dutch to SEFCU added and that walk during the winter was one of my biggest complaints before - this winter was nice and warm but I hated that walk when it is 3 degrees outside

Negatives:

- Outside of a few games, the student section has been light

- only 2535 for a do-or-die game

- Graduation of a great Senior class including one of the most popular players in UA History

If you were working for Mark Benson, what would your suggestion box entry be?

Edited by godanesgo99

For me, my first idea is to utilize this board more and have the diehards that are posting here everyday - even in the off-season get more involved. Maybe we don't all have the funds to make big donations but that doesn't mean we can't help out more.

As a graduate of UA and someone who settled in the area and live less than a mile from campus, I naturally have followed the program. They were DII when I was a student and honestly it took the Jamar Wilson teams and the 2006 tournament to get me into it. I casually followed the team for years, but it wasn't until the 12-13 season that I started to really follow the team. I didn't discover this board until the summer of 13 and lurked for a while and didn't register here until October of 2014 (I thought it was earlier than that, but I digress).

Reading this board regularly, interacting with, arguing with, learning from, and experiencing the games with like minded fans really turned me from casual fan to big fan to superfan to addicted loser who had go check the board several times a day. This site is my top bookmark lol.

I propose the active people on this board get together and promote it to other fans. I think that this can be a huge marketing tool and could end up converting more casuals into addicts. I know that conversion changed me from a handful of games a year to a season ticket holder.

I'd put a magnetic bumper sticker on my car advertising the site. I'd buy a BPF T-Shirt and wear it to some games. I know that the site probably isn't free to be hosted (from time to time it isn't available, I assume that is from bandwidth limits or site fees) I'd offer to make a donation to whoever pays for hosting.

Just because the school is improving it's marketing, doesn't mean the big fans can't take it upon themselves to help in that effort.

The old thread on this topic can be found here:

http://bigpurplefans.ipbhost.com/index.php?showtopic=7841&view=&hl=&fromsearch=1

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 2

Keep the improvements coming. Love the video board but could we please get some stats up?

Can we get a stinkin replay!? They'll show a replay of a stupid layup occasionally but not often a replay of a controversial foul. Also, we need a board on the other side.

I propose the active people on this board get together and promote it to other fans. I think that this can be a huge marketing tool and could end up converting more casuals into addicts. I know that conversion changed me from a handful of games a year to a season ticket holder.

I know this is a dead horse and DP probably gets mad when I mention it...but this site needs upgrades (theme/style, domain name, etc.) to become an even better tool. I've offered my services but have been rebuffed. You have an unofficial photoshopper/web developer (I mess with web design on the side) amongst your members...why not utilize the free offer to spruce this place up? For all I know, this forum software is limited and it can't be spruced up...but I won't know that until I can get in the control panel and see what's what.

For anyone curious, recent site I did for a business in MA: http://www.amsfloors.com/

Edited by Eli

Since the Hartford thread got off track and became a bitch session about the number 2535 and not the game itself, I figured it was time to move that conversation to a new thread.

Positives:

- UA led the AE in attendance for the regular season

- Attendance has been slowly rising year over year

- Marketing has improved under Benson

- There has been some major donations to the Athletic programs (Thank you Casey family!)

- 2 great local kids on the roster for at least the next few years (Cremo/Stire)

- Shuttle from Dutch to SEFCU added and that walk during the winter was one of my biggest complaints before - this winter was nice and warm but I hated that walk when it is 3 degrees outside

Negatives:

- Outside of a few games, the student section has been light

- only 2535 for a do-or-die game

- Graduation of a great Senior class including one of the most popular players in UA History

If you were working for Mark Benson, what would your suggestion box entry be?

Positive: I like the ability to see games almost live on TV now. I don't live close to the Capital District, so TV is my best option.

Negative: The loss of the home winning streak. Although I have very sentimental attachment to the teams of the early-mid 1970's when the Danes went on a 24-25 home game winning streak, I really wanted the newer teams to break that record. I'm disappointed the most recent streak didn't come to an end by a team of the SBU or VCU caliber.

Keep the improvements coming. Love the video board but could we please get some stats up?

Can we get a stinkin replay!? They'll show a replay of a stupid layup occasionally but not often a replay of a controversial foul. Also, we need a board on the other side.

I know this is a dead horse and DP probably gets mad when I mention it...but this site needs upgrades (theme/style, domain name, etc.) to become an even better tool. I've offered my services but have been rebuffed. You have an unofficial photoshopper/web developer (I mess with web design on the side) amongst your members...why not utilize the free offer to spruce this place up? For all I know, this forum software is limited and it can't be spruced up...but I won't know that until I can get in the control panel and see what's what.

For anyone curious, recent site I did for a business in MA: http://www.amsfloors.com/

I don't believe UA has anything to do with replays. Isn't it whomever is doing the broadcast determines that since all we do is stream that footage on the screen... TWC, Espn3, AE TV?

Also make your own board or go to the AE Forum.... should be "BPC" Big Purple Complainers. No one forces you to post here.

Edited by MRSGDG

I don't believe UA has anything to do with replays. Isn't it whomever is doing the broadcast determines that since all we do is stream that footage on the screen... TWC, Espn3, AE TV?

I agree, it's not UA...but they certainly could ask. Wouldn't kill them to try.

I agree, it's not UA...but they certainly could ask. Wouldn't kill them to try.

Lol..yes ESPN thank you for streaming our little mid major game but your reply system need an upgrade, get on that please. :) Edited by MRSGDG

Okay, maybe not ESPN...but AE TV for sure. AE TV needs to cater to it's fans no? If the fans want more/different replays...it would behoove AE TV to listen.

Way better than Dane Zone feel like we can't complain. At least it's free ..trying to think of something positive.

Edited by MRSGDG

The broadcast on the screen in SEFCU is not the same footage that the TV broadcast uses. From my seat I can see the TV broadcast feed on the small screens on the media table when the game is being broadcast. Sometimes when I want to see replays and the game is on ESPN3 I'll quickly turn on the watchESPN app on my phone and get to see it from several angles.

The broadcast on the screen in SEFCU is not the same footage that the TV broadcast uses. From my seat I can see the TV broadcast feed on the small screens on the media table when the game is being broadcast. Sometimes when I want to see replays and the game is on ESPN3 I'll quickly turn on the watchESPN app on my phone and get to see it from several angles.

For ESPN3 it is not the same as he video screen in SEFCU but for AmericaEast.TV it is exactly the feed you are seeing in the arena. So the only replays we see are the replays they show there. Occasionally when something is going on during a time out they are showing the spinning UA logo to us instead of Brown having a "discussion" with the refs, that Wyland and Bye are describing for the radio feed. I don't understand why they can't flash up the stats during the timeouts instead of the spinning UA logo.

• Like 1

I think for replays/stats on the big screen they would have to employ a video editor or staff to sit in a control room to choose which camera angle and which replays to show or not show. The cost to have someone running it might be more than AETV has to put towards their program. Not sure if that would be up to the conference or the individual schools to do as I am not sure who runs the feed. ESPN has a control room and a large staff to do it.

Maybe we can lobby the school to hire someone that can work part time for basketball and football? Maybe the conference can afford it if we can get a team to win a game or 2 in the tournament?

Definitely something to put on the want list though.

I know they have a TV on in the HOF room when the game is on AETV so you can watch when you get a beer but they use the internet feed and it's like 30 seconds behind. If you hear cheering in the arena you get to see what the noise is a little later. I have only been in that room during game time a few times that I hadn't finished a beer after half time - never been in there during normal game play. They do not seem to play video when the game is on ESPN3. It can't be that hard to run a wire to that room and have the same real time feed that is on the big screen.

I digress.

Anyway, the school adding the big monitor was another 'positive' that I could have put in the original post making the feel at SEFCU more big time. I would like to see them add another in the opposite corner like they did for the championship game last year so I can see it from my seat without turning around. Baby steps I guess.

My current want list includes:

1. More chairbacks. Even if it means reducing capacity a little. Make every seat more comfortable. We rarely sell out today, so what if we lose a few hundred seats. The increase in average ticket price would probably offset any loss in attendance from the sell out games.

2. Additional Marketing. I think I saw back in the fall the school was hiring a new athletic marketing person, not sure if they ever hired someone or what they do, and the school has done much more under Benson, but much more should be done. That and my suggestions above about people on this board being more involved. Almost like a non-official booster club.

3. New Scoreboard. I know people have said that the roof would have to be raised for a modern video board, but if they want wider instead of taller it could probably be done without construction.

4. Video board in other corner. See above.

5. Pipe Dream stuff that could easily be done: build an addition to SEFCU on the Western Ave side. There is room if you went up to the sidewalk without having to rip of any parking. Could be another main entrance with ticket booth, stairs/escalator up to seat level, and have more concession area there. It could match the football stadium and be more of a showpiece for both the arena and the corporate sponsor of the arena. I'm sure a big SEFCU sign on that side could add to the final price of naming rights when the contract is up.

6. Pipe Dream #2: More parking on the western Ave side of the campus. The school has been buying property there and there is a divide between campus and residential. Could probably add an elongated lot on the other side of University drive and put up a sound wall to keep the neighborhood happy. I bet you could add spaces for 250-500 cars fairly easily. This would alleviate stress on the Dutch lot, eliminate the long walk complaint, eliminate the expense of the new shuttle buses (but Dutch could still be overflow). This would not only help for SEFCU parking but also help for Casey Stadium and be a fun tailgating area for football.

As many people have said: SEFCU is a much better environment for a basketball game than TUC is, but the way it is set up today it isn't as friendly and comfortable as TUC is. The die hards like those on this board would park at Collins Circle and walk through the snow to get to a game, but the casual fans need it to be easy.

Edited by godanesgo99

Besides what godanesgo99 want .......

I would like them to connect the PE Bldg and SEFCU. this would enable them to have a much bigger Lobby and also increase the size of the bathroom facilities, ticket areas, athletic store and concession areas.

• Like 1

I think for replays/stats on the big screen they would have to employ a video editor or staff to sit in a control room to choose which camera angle and which replays to show or not show. The cost to have someone running it might be more than AETV has to put towards their program. Not sure if that would be up to the conference or the individual schools to do as I am not sure who runs the feed. ESPN has a control room and a large staff to do it.

Maybe we can lobby the school to hire someone that can work part time for basketball and football? Maybe the conference can afford it if we can get a team to win a game or 2 in the tournament?

Definitely something to put on the want list though.

The streams are up to each school to manage and provide to AETV and there is definitely already a production director on staff that runs the feed for UA. They have to start the feed, switch on and off the spinning UA logo, kickoff commercials on AETV, setup and start the replays, etc... Get an intern or something that can grab the stats sheet from the courtside desk and enter it into a template that is then flashed on the screen by the director. Not a hard bit to coordinate and many many schools already do it. I was at Marist this year and they do this on their corner video boards during timeouts in their tiny high school gym. :)