UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts the seat 2016 Edition

The problem isn't the arena.... the problem is the way athletics are marketed. Yes, concessions and stuff don't hurt, but if I were a parent taking a kid to a game, I wouldn't not take them because the "hot dogs" were not good enough. There should be more promotions. For example, at MSG, there's always a halftime show with little kids who play basketball for a few minutes each. There's normally 4 teams (two games). This right here would attract 40+ kids, and then 1-2 parents on average for each child. Do things like this to increase attendance. Perhaps it's already done, but there are ways to drum up attendance.

One of the posts above referenced the attendance of a lot of schools in the NYC metro area - most of these aren't known for athletics in the slightest, and also have to compete with 50 schools within a 10-15 mile radius.

Albany doesn't have that issue. It's us and Siena for all intensive purposes.

We used to say "if the team wins", people will show. Now since that's the case, and it hasn't translated into a huge surge in attendance, we rely on the deficiencies of SEFCU. A new arena will not correct the attendance issue. Maybe a slight bump, but in no way justifies the cost, imo. Make some renovations (new fodo stands, etc)., and it will go a long way. I'd rather us get to the point where we NEED a new arena, because the demand is so great for it - everygame is sold out etc.

History has shown that a new arena very rarely, if ever, in any sport translates to higher attendance.

Stony Brook 3,328 141

Buffalo 3,243 145
Albany 3,161 150 ??
I thought we edged out brook on the last game of the year for average attendance??

They're still playing and it's going to go up.

and our average went down after the playoff game

After the discussions we've had over attendance last week, I've come to terms that it is what it is. Until the Danes move up and out of the America East (probably never), and have some better name programs come play non-conference and regular season conference games, I don't see attendance rising much more than what it's at. Money drives everything, and right now there isn't much.

As far as SEFCU renovations/rebuild, I think they should look at Quinnipiac's arena, which is at 3,600 I believe.

Edited by UA'08

The problem isn't the arena.... the problem is the way athletics are marketed. Yes, concessions and stuff don't hurt, but if I were a parent taking a kid to a game, I wouldn't not take them because the "hot dogs" were not good enough. There should be more promotions. For example, at MSG, there's always a halftime show with little kids who play basketball for a few minutes each. There's normally 4 teams (two games). This right here would attract 40+ kids, and then 1-2 parents on average for each child. Do things like this to increase attendance. Perhaps it's already done, but there are ways to drum up attendance.

One of the posts above referenced the attendance of a lot of schools in the NYC metro area - most of these aren't known for athletics in the slightest, and also have to compete with 50 schools within a 10-15 mile radius.

Albany doesn't have that issue. It's us and Siena for all intensive purposes.

We used to say "if the team wins", people will show. Now since that's the case, and it hasn't translated into a huge surge in attendance, we rely on the deficiencies of SEFCU. A new arena will not correct the attendance issue. Maybe a slight bump, but in no way justifies the cost, imo. Make some renovations (new fodo stands, etc)., and it will go a long way. I'd rather us get to the point where we NEED a new arena, because the demand is so great for it - everygame is sold out etc.

History has shown that a new arena very rarely, if ever, in any sport translates to higher attendance.

UA already does that. My colleague is a 'little-league' (or whatever they are called) coach of 25 kids and his team was on at half-time like the 2nd to last regular season game.

Also, our attendance has increased by like 1,000 (avg) since our first championship in this span of 4 years, has it not? I'd consider that something.

Our arena is 24 years old. Almost as old as me. It NEEDS a major renovation. For example, as a season ticket holder and VIP parking spot owner, if I forget my ticket I need to go ALLLLL the way to the other end of the building to get in. This isn't bad when it's a warm winter, but when it's a -20 night (like it was sometimes in 2014), no thanks. There needs to be a box office on the VIP parking lot side. I can't even get in with my student ID on that end of the arena because there is no one there with a student ID swiper. There needs to be concessions on that side. There needs to be bathrooms on that side. There needs to be a screen in the opposite corner because for the most part only half the arena is getting legitimate use of the existing screen. We need to 'purpleify' the arena as well. This gray sucks. Paint the steps/stairs purple, etc...or better yet install purple chairbacks in the entire place.

This place needs work. It is no longer feasible and in 6 years will be 30 years old. Within that 6 years, I hope we either break ground on a new place or completely renovate SEFCU (or whatever it'll be called after November 2016 when the naming rights are for sale).

We also need to focus on internal and external marketing. Again, other than emails to the student body 24-36hrs before a game...not much else happens on campus. I don't notice any posters, I don't notice any signs, etc. They need to offer students free pizza EVERY home game. It seemed like they stopped doing that recently...adding the shuttle(s) for the students was a start.

We know there are more billboards, etc. but Benson still has a TON of work to do. A ton.

Edited by Eli

Just a note...all this requires MONEY. Unless there is a large infusion of cash from donors or state, SEFCU is what it is. It can always be better...but people make it seems like we are Rider with 600 fans in the stands.

Be appreciative of what we have, continue to suggest and work towards a better tomorrow.

• Like 1

While last year was a record in attendance, and this year third, the number of fans at SEFCU has been basically flat for ten years. Having Siena at home should add one sellout next year, which should add only about 100 to the average, so we'll need to stay in contention in the league to keep attendance up.

attendance.jpg

While last year was a record in attendance, and this year third, the number of fans at SEFCU has been basically flat for ten years. Having Siena at home should add one sellout next year, which should add only about 100 to the average, so we'll need to stay in contention in the league to keep attendance up.

attendance.jpg

Which is why I now think a 3600-4000 max seat facility would be perfect.

Ironically the attendance was basically the same as it was 10 years ago.

Edited by UA'08

But 4000 turns away more than 500 fans 3-4 games a year, and I suspect the overall average might go up with a more comfortable arena especially if parking improved.

If there are ANY thoughts of going to a higher league in the next 25 years, we shouldn't lock into an arena that isn't expandable to a suitable size.

But 4000 turns away more than 500 fans 3-4 games a year, and I suspect the overall average might go up with a more comfortable arena especially if parking improved.

If there are ANY thoughts of going to a higher league in the next 25 years, we shouldn't lock into an arena that isn't expandable to a suitable size.

I'd hate to lock us into a facility that even today would be small for 2-4 games already.

I'd hate to lock us into a facility that even today would be small for 2-4 games already.

That's true, but people being shut out is not necessarily a bad thing. It would create some sort of increased demand for tickets.

So now you can make the BPG only available through season tickets/mini ticket plan. Sort of like they are going to do with the Siena game next year? In the end scheduling has a lot to do with attendance. NJIT/Yale/Niagara aren't going to do it. Hoping to see more mid level CAA/MAC and bottom tier A10 home and homes.

Edited by UA'08