UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts the seat 2016 Edition

This is as good a place as any pit this comment:

I had a phone interview today with a company out of Seattle. About 5 minutes into the interview the guy brought up UAlbany and the basketball team. He asked me if the team was as good when I went to school and I had to laugh saying they were D2 at that time. He was surprised that the team had come so far so fast. He mentioned that he had picked Albany to win in the round of 64 after Hooley's heroics and was rooting for the team this year. He has never lived in the Northeast. This is the second time this sort of conversation has happened for me (the last was back in 06 after the UConn game).

If this doesn't speak to the value in a powerful athletic program, I don't know what does. It also shows the importance of UA keeping the program growing, getting strong recruits, and continuing to build a fanbase. Getting butts in the seats is part of this growth.

I hope for either the renovations we ask for can be pushed and completed quickly or a new arena by 2020 :)

That's true, but people being shut out is not necessarily a bad thing. It would create some sort of increased demand for tickets.

So now you can make the BPG only available through season tickets/mini ticket plan. Sort of like they are going to do with the Siena game next year? In the end scheduling has a lot to do with attendance. NJIT/Yale/Niagara aren't going to do it. Hoping to see more mid level CAA/MAC and bottom tier A10 home and homes.

None of those teams want to play at our house where we have lost, I think, only a couple games in the past two seasons.

So people feel the need to correct my grammar?

Didn't this happen a week ago with another poster? People jumping on someone regarding their grammar?

Thanks for your contributions to the chain!!

Yep, me. Best get your flame suit on, lol.

sorry man...."intensive purposes" is like nails on a chalkboard. Carry on.

Back on topic, are there plans floating around on what a renovated SEFCU might look like? I know there were lots of proposals and plans for a new stadium years before we actually built anything.

Edited by madDOG

Back on topic, are there plans floating around on what a renovated SEFCU might look like? I know there were lots of proposals and plans for a new stadium years before we actually built anything.

There was stuff in that one school PDF document of the roadmap...talk about a field house, etc.

There was stuff in that one school PDF document of the roadmap...talk about a field house, etc.

http://www.albany.edu/facilities/fmp/documents/UA-FMP2012.pdf

Looked it up. SEFCU renovations are only long-term, after renovation of the Phys. Ed building, and only consist of

• New floors at the fitness center
• New scoreboard
• New / refreshed locker rooms and coaches offices
• Improved sports medicine and strength and conditioning
• Re-appropriation of the squash and racquetball courts for
another function such as team rooms or team/visiting locker
rooms
• New Student-Athlete Success Center
Nothing about spectator seating or amenities, though they plan to move the Hall of Fame to the PE building.
Phase 1 of the field house is mainly for the Recreation Department, though athletics may use it while the PE building is updated. Phase 2 of the FH will have an indoor track and athletics training facilities.
Of course the master plan is four years old, so new administration could mean new priorities.
Edited by UAalum72

Maybe I just have no clue about these things but I would suggest filling in the corners with seats, have tunnels to the locker rooms and making everything except the seats behind the baskets chairbacks. I don't know how that would effect total seats but seems like the easiest upgrade. Add a new scoreboard and build a lobby on the opposite side with concessions, ticket office and bathrooms. No idea how much all that would cost or if it even makes sense but I think that would be great.

• 4 months later...

Moving into the 2016-17 season, UAlbany fans can expect even more upgrades to SEFCU Arena. Fans will now see an additional replay videoboard, all-new LED interactive press tables and new Gold Level “NBA” style courtside seating and hospitality. UAlbany Athletics has also made commitments to repave the SEFCU Parking Lot, improve the ADA Handicap seating experience and has purchased new video equipment that will allow for an improved online streaming experience as well as an improved in-game experience.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=15800&ATCLID=211076416

• Like 1

Moving into the 2016-17 season, UAlbany fans can expect even more upgrades to SEFCU Arena. Fans will now see an additional replay videoboard, all-new LED interactive press tables and new Gold Level “NBA” style courtside seating and hospitality. UAlbany Athletics has also made commitments to repave the SEFCU Parking Lot, improve the ADA Handicap seating experience and has purchased new video equipment that will allow for an improved online streaming experience as well as an improved in-game experience.

Being in Florida this year, thank goodness for that!

+1000

I had a phone interview today with a company out of Seattle. About 5 minutes into the interview the guy brought up UAlbany and the basketball team. He asked me if the team was as good when I went to school and I had to laugh saying they were D2 at that time. He was surprised that the team had come so far so fast. He mentioned that he had picked Albany to win in the round of 64 after Hooley's heroics and was rooting for the team this year. He has never lived in the Northeast. This is the second time this sort of conversation has happened for me (the last was back in 06 after the UConn game).

If this doesn't speak to the value in a powerful athletic program, I don't know what does. It also shows the importance of UA keeping the program growing, getting strong recruits, and continuing to build a fanbase. Getting butts in the seats is part of this growth.

Moving into the 2016-17 season, UAlbany fans can expect even more upgrades to SEFCU Arena. Fans will now see an additional replay videoboard, all-new LED interactive press tables and new Gold Level NBA style courtside seating and hospitality. UAlbany Athletics has also made commitments to repave the SEFCU Parking Lot, improve the ADA Handicap seating experience and has purchased new video equipment that will allow for an improved online streaming experience as well as an improved in-game experience.

I'm told there is more to come as well. I'm excited to see what this year and next brings. This post should also be in the thread complaining about the increase in ticket prices.