UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

What is our attendance average to date? Do we get to use 9,200 in that average or does it get reduced to "capacity" at 8500?

Seems to me they should be looking to expand stadium capacity in small chunks to avoid criticism and to get to FBS capacity by 10 years. Small bump of 1,500 to start would be nice.

The way it's currently configured, Casey is not designed to effectively handle crowds of 9,000. All of the rest rooms and concessions are in one place and that place is far from the bleachers and berm. I went down at half time for a walk to stretch my legs and it was not possible to walk...shuffle at best. The area under the main stands was (I think) dangerously overcrowded. Overheard a Sodexo employee calling on a cell phone for help and leadership. They really need some secondary concessions, even if it's just grab-and-go water, soda, popcorn type stuff. Expecting a patron to wait 20 minutes to buy a bottle of water is just not acceptable. Having large crowds is nice and a tribute to the upgrades and success of the program, but as others have said, if we want to keep that going there needs to be better management of the "game day experience."

I'm thinking of writing the Ath. Dept another email (not angry) just letting them know of the issues from THIS game so they can do whatever needs to be done (that we all have posted including the selective enforcement of rules). Don't need an explanation, but just 'get it on the radar' type communication. Unless we truly believe their staffers read this. In that case......READ IT OVER AND OVER!

Edited by Eli

What is our attendance average to date? Do we get to use 9,200 in that average or does it get reduced to "capacity" at 8500?

Seems to me they should be looking to expand stadium capacity in small chunks to avoid criticism and to get to FBS capacity by 10 years. Small bump of 1,500 to start would be nice.

UA athletics site says 7800.

I posted this in Richmond thread...

So far this year...average attendance is 7803 for 91.8% of capacity. If this keeps up, going to need an addition (but only after SEFCU)

:)

The way it's currently configured, Casey is not designed to effectively handle crowds of 9,000. All of the rest rooms and concessions are in one place and that place is far from the bleachers and berm. I went down at half time for a walk to stretch my legs and it was not possible to walk...shuffle at best. The area under the main stands was (I think) dangerously overcrowded. Overheard a Sodexo employee calling on a cell phone for help and leadership. They really need some secondary concessions, even if it's just grab-and-go water, soda, popcorn type stuff. Expecting a patron to wait 20 minutes to buy a bottle of water is just not acceptable. Having large crowds is nice and a tribute to the upgrades and success of the program, but as others have said, if we want to keep that going there needs to be better management of the "game day experience."

I'm thinking of writing the Ath. Dept another email (not angry) just letting them know of the issues from THIS game so they can do whatever needs to be done (that we all have posted including the selective enforcement of rules). Don't need an explanation, but just 'get it on the radar' type communication. Unless we truly believe their staffers read this. In that case......READ IT OVER AND OVER!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. So they'll have two. Vic told me he could be the contact guy for game day issues. Up to you if you want to cc anyone else. It would be nice if others popped off an email as well since Eli and I are in the same section. Edited by jimbo

There is ZERO doubt they all read this board, you can book it!

I was thinking of doing the same thing. So they'll have two. Vic told me he could be the contact guy for game day issues. Up to you if you want to cc anyone else. It would be nice if others popped off an email as well since Eli and I are in the same section.

Vic is suppose to be their outside revenue guy (Associate Athletic Director for Revenue Enhancement).. not sure why he asked to be the "game day issue" person. Cluster.

Staff Directory

http://www.ualbanysports.com/StaffDirectory.dbml

Edited by MRSGDG
  • Like 1

100% they do - they have told me they do. I think they try to avoid it as much as possible though - as it can be hard reading about yourself.

During one of my conversations with them I directed them to the various "asses in the seats" "lets fix SEFCU" and "butts in the seats 2016 edition" threads, and to my surprise they told me that they were read and that is where some of the priorities for the changes/upgrades they are employing this year came from...

Maybe them reading this stuff is why I hated the "I'll pull my donations if it doesn't change" talk in this thread and tried to push more constructive conversation. We all want the programs to do well and improve and make the fan experience better. For the program to succeed they need to listen to us and create an environment where we all want to hand our wallets over to them every week and enjoy/look forward to doing it.

My take away is this:

1. Us fans want more comfortable seats in the stadium. Loved the seats we bought in the stadium, and hate that we can not bring them in now. The rentals they provide are inadequate. Something needs to change so people are more comfortable in the stadium.

2. The bag policy is too restrictive, and is causing grief. Mostly from families that do want to bring their little ones into the stadium. It is hard to walk all the way over from Dutch Quad then get sent back to the car. This turns fans off. A possible quick fix while seeing how to change the policy would be to add a bag check tent outside of the stadium - preventing the walk all the way back.

3. The bag policy and security policies need to be flushed out because when there is high attendance, the lines to get into the stadium are way too long. One possible improvement might be finding/creating additional stadium entrances. Another might be to end some of the pregame festivities a little earlier, or make some of the promotions first come first served to encourage people to get into the stadium earlier.

4. The concessions need some work. The way people order food, grab their food, and pay for their food is inefficient and leads to long slow lines on a regular game, much less a sell-out. They need to manage the flow better to not block traffic through the stadium with the lines and find a way to get people in and out faster. Additional concession outlets - probably by the hospitality tent/berm area would be very helpful. My personal suggestion would be to rent out spaces for a couple of foodtrucks up there each game. I bet they could charge $500-$1000 for a space rental for the game and make more money than they would lose at the normal concession stands - and people would be much happier with more choices.

Does that about round up the complaints so far? Did I miss anything?

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

100% they do - they have told me they do. I think they try to avoid it as much as possible though - as it can be hard reading about yourself.

During one of my conversations with them I directed them to the various "asses in the seats" "lets fix SEFCU" and "butts in the seats 2016 edition" threads, and to my surprise they told me that they were read and that is where some of the priorities for the changes/upgrades they are employing this year came from...

Maybe them reading this stuff is why I hated the "I'll pull my donations if it doesn't change" talk in this thread and tried to push more constructive conversation. We all want the programs to do well and improve and make the fan experience better. For the program to succeed they need to listen to us and create an environment where we all want to hand our wallets over to them every week and enjoy/look forward to doing it.

My take away is this:

1. Us fans want more comfortable seats in the stadium. Loved the seats we bought in the stadium, and hate that we can not bring them in now. The rentals they provide are inadequate. Something needs to change so people are more comfortable in the stadium.

2. The bag policy is too restrictive, and is causing grief. Mostly from families that do want to bring their little ones into the stadium. It is hard to walk all the way over from Dutch Quad then get sent back to the car. This turns fans off. A possible quick fix while seeing how to change the policy would be to add a bag check tent outside of the stadium - preventing the walk all the way back.

3. The bag policy and security policies need to be flushed out because when there is high attendance, the lines to get into the stadium are way too long. One possible improvement might be finding/creating additional stadium entrances. Another might be to end some of the pregame festivities a little earlier, or make some of the promotions first come first served to encourage people to get into the stadium earlier.

4. The concessions need some work. The way people order food, grab their food, and pay for their food is inefficient and leads to long slow lines on a regular game, much less a sell-out. They need to manage the flow better to not block traffic through the stadium with the lines and find a way to get people in and out faster. Additional concession outlets - probably by the hospitality tent/berm area would be very helpful. My personal suggestion would be to rent out spaces for a couple of foodtrucks up there each game. I bet they could charge $500-$1000 for a space rental for the game and make more money than they would lose at the normal concession stands - and people would be much happier with more choices.

Communication with season ticket holders. Overall needs an overhaul.

• Like 1

My take away is this:

They didn't use the capacity that they had. North and south side had some metal gates closed and one entrance on each side staffed with (I think) 2 security officers.

obviously can open all the gates we have for a crowd like this and staff appropriately if they insist on checking for seat cushions etc.

Edited by bob87
  • Like 1

We got to Casey 1/2 hour before game time and still had to wait in line. Some suggestions I have seen call for 2 lines. One for folks with bags and another without. Since we've been parking at SEFCU this year I'm not sure what goes on at the other parking lots. Perhaps attendants could hand each car a printed list of banned items and bag requirements. Or, a sign on the path to Casey. Or, a body that tells people they can't carry in that bag,etc. but do it in the parking areas before the patron gets to the stadium. At least until most patrons catch on. Also, has anyone seen a media report on the new policies? Is the AD taking advantage of mass media to get the message across? I've not seen anything. The selective enforcement is complete garbage. Either enforce or not.

I had an email exchange with VC. Basic takeaways are that the AD is acutely aware of the inconsistencies and problems with both bag/prohibited items checks and concessions. They are working to resolve the issues. Both

security/bag check and concessions are not AD controlled functions. So resolution must come through meetings, etc.

I had an email exchange with VC. Basic takeaways are that the AD is acutely aware of the inconsistencies and problems with both bag/prohibited items checks and concessions. They are working to resolve the issues. Both

security/bag check and concessions are not AD controlled functions. So resolution must come through meetings, etc.

am I under the impression, just by reading...that the UA athletic department has almost zero control of what goes on in this stadium? It seems so many agencies within the university and even outside have a hand in the pot. Am I reading this completely wrong?