UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Holy Cross - 11/30 7:00

Something tells me this team is gonna see a lot of 1-3-1 the rest of the season. They just can't touch it.

I'm no bball coach but I'm not sure how easy it is to just teach your team how to play the 1-3-1 in a few days just for one game. I may be wrong. Either way, they have to figure out how to clean up the turnovers. It's gotten really bad.

I think this is a case of WB being outcoached...it happens.

I agree.

IMHO we could have run hc off the court; but Brown will simply not unleash the players. The offense is just so deliberate {reminds me of the football O.} That may work against a team like $iena who plays NO D; but teams like hc who play solid D , I think you have to be more aggressive offensively. I am no coach and I really would never second guest Brown; but as an arm chair qb,it looked to me that we simply let hc set their D, when it looked like we could out run and out gun them if coach would stop taking the air out of the ball every procession. We out rebounded hc almost 2 to 1 and I know hc was content to bomb up threes (as others have said, hc had no offense other than the 3 bomb); and then drop back into defense. But IMHO we did have opportunities to use our speed to keep them from getting too comfortable defensively. But alas we did not.

• Like 1

I think this is a case of WB being outcoached...it happens.

I agree.

IMHO we could have run hc off the court; but Brown will simply not unleash the players. The offense is just so deliberate {reminds me of the football O.} That may work against a team like $iena who plays NO D; but teams like hc who play solid D , I think you have to be more aggressive offensively. I am no coach and I really would never second guest Brown; but as an arm chair qb,it looked to me that we simply let hc set their D, when it looked like we could out run and out gun them if coach would stop taking the air out of the ball every procession. We out rebounded hc almost 2 to 1 and I know hc was content to bomb up threes (as others have said, hc had no offense other than the 3 bomb); and then drop back into defense. But IMHO we did have opportunities to use our speed to keep them from getting too comfortable defensively. But alas we did not.

We looked slow an unsure, this is the second game that a team has deployed a 1 3 1 against us and this team looks flat out lost against it. Tentative, unsure of what to do. Against a 1 3 1 you need to move the ball quickly and attack from the corners...they held the ball and then tried to pass over the top. The guards CONSISTENTLY AND REPEATEDLY picked up the dribble, over and over again which made the zone even more effective because you gave up the drive into the gaps. Because passes weren't crisp and on point, this allowed the zone to shift and adjust.

With a huge rebounding advantage when HC shot very poorly for 80% of the game, they never pushed the pace and ran it down their throat. HC is a slow team, not very athletic...if they pushed the ball and had any energy they would have crushed them, 3 or no 3. Was not impressed with HC at all...live by the 3 and die by the 3. Today we were terrible enough against their D that they hung around and then hit a few 3s.

What a mess...coaches were NOT ready to coach, players were not ready to play. The entire game was honestly one of the most boring things I've ever seen...completely unwatchable which has been a big departure from the rest of the year. Perhaps we thought beating Penn St. and Siena HC was going to just roll over. Disgusting!

Yale up next...Yale is VERY good. Disappointing!

Stat that sticks out to me now that I'm going through them (besides the obvious turnovers) is the fact we only attempted 10 free throws. Against Cincy we attempted 14 and in every other game it's been at least 21.

Also should mention Holy cross was 4-16 from deep in the first half and 7-13 from deep in the second half. They only attempted 6 two point field goals in the second half and went 8-10 from the line after attempting no free throws in the first half.

Edited by ZLK
  • Like 1

Stat that sticks out to me now that I'm going through them (besides the obvious turnovers) is the fact we only attempted 10 free throws. Against Cincy we attempted 14 and in every other game it's been at least 21.

Also should mention Holy cross was 4-16 from deep in the first half and 7-13 from deep in the second half. They only attempted 6 two point field goals in the second half and went 8-10 from the line after attempting no free throws in the first half.

That confirms it. Our D was non existent. We didn't close out or stick to our guys.

Two things: I can't recall seeing as many cross court passes as I am seeing from UA. Many are lazy, some are telegraphed and the D is breaking on the ball before our guys. That has to stop. Second, as I mentioned in my original post, Bill Carmody, the HC coach, is not to be trifled with. He did 14 years as an asst under Peter Carril at Princeton (if you don't know who he is, look him up), then 4 years as HC at Princeton, then 13 as HC at Northwestern. He figured out how to negate and frustrate our O and the team ran it to perfection. The only reason it was as close as it was is because HC was throwing up bricks in the first half. So, as some of you have said, opposing teams will be dissecting the film of this game and installing a 1-3-1 and hopefully the UA scout team will be spending a lot of time running that D. Putting this game behind is good, but failing to learn from it is very risky. WB is quite correct in saying that his backcourt has got to get busy on D.