UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2017-18 Season

Sorry there won't be another game. It amazes me that people talk about the "c-tourney" games costing money. We have an athletic department filed with non-revenue sports that travel to play and costs money to do so but when it comes to tournament basketball games we all become budget conscious.

If nothing else, not having to practice and travel for a post-season tournament should give the staff more time to recruit.

The budget piece irks me a bit too. It reads like a money-saving decision..as opposed to a 'we can't afford it' thing. If we were the 5 seed in the AE tournament and made it to the title game..we would've been on the road for three games. Pretty sure we wouldn't have declined to play in those games just because they cost money. As it played out..we weren't on the road at all after February 18.

Obviously the CIT/CBI aren't as exciting as the NCAA (or NIT)..but it's still a postseason tournament that recognizes regular season success. For mid-majors..the CIT/CBI is the postseason opportunity for a team that had a good season but didn't get the NCAA autobid. For high-major programs..a good season without an NCAA autobid likely still puts you in the NCAA. Many of us fans enjoy seeing the team play in them..though certainly not all fans. The coaches understand that they're helpful in the recruiting process as a symbol of program success. And it's a chance for the seniors to continue playing. With Athletics deciding not to have the team accept a bid..it means Alex Foster never got to play in a postseason tournament despite playing two years in the Big 12 and finishing his career on a 22 win team..for example.

Athletics could afford the team playing in the CIT/CBI in previous seasons. Kind of frustrating as a fan to be hit with higher ticket prices, paid parking and nickle and dimed elsewhere..and then be told that the team isn't playing in the postseason because of finances. Especially for what's arguably the school's most popular sport. Money is a means to an end for programs like ours..it's not the goal.

Edited by Phoenix
  • Like 2

I understand the choice; but I am nevertheless disappointed. Whatever happened to "Ill play any team, anywhere, anytime, even in the middle of Western Ave." {roughly quoted--Robert Ford} attitude? I am disappointed for the the boys & girls who "mostly" rode the bench on every non-varsity and INTRA-mural sport that would have them, before moving to the stands to still in a way feel part of the team. I am disappointed for every player picked last and playing right field, hoping to make the catch of a lifetime and simultaneously praying the ball would not be hit to him/her. I am disappointed for every playground "star: hoping to make the winning 3 on the buzzer and of course simultaneously praying don't pass it to me.

Melo-dramatic you say. But how many of you fans (especially some of us older ones) would donate a kidney for ONE MORE GAME in right field and one more desperation heave to win a "meaningless" playground game.

This is speculation, but could the players have been the ones that said we just want the season to end

Sorry there won't be another game. It amazes me that people talk about the "c-tourney" games costing money. We have an athletic department filed with non-revenue sports that travel to play and costs money to do so but when it comes to tournament basketball games we all become budget conscious.

If nothing else, not having to practice and travel for a post-season tournament should give the staff more time to recruit.

The budget piece irks me a bit too. It reads like a money-saving decision..as opposed to a 'we can't afford it' thing. If we were the 5 seed in the AE tournament and made it to the title game..we would've been on the road for three games. Pretty sure we wouldn't have declined to play in those games just because they cost money. As it played out..we weren't on the road at all after February 18.

Obviously the CIT/CBI aren't as exciting as the NCAA (or NIT)..but it's still a postseason tournament that recognizes regular season success. For mid-majors..the CIT/CBI is the postseason opportunity for a team that had a good season but didn't get the NCAA autobid. For high-major programs..a good season without an NCAA autobid likely still puts you in the NCAA. Many of us fans enjoy seeing the team play in them..though certainly not all fans. The coaches understand that they're helpful in the recruiting process as a symbol of program success. And it's a chance for the seniors to continue playing. With Athletics deciding not to have the team accept a bid..it means Alex Foster never got to play in a postseason tournament despite playing two years in the Big 12 and finishing his career on a 22 win team..for example.

Athletics could afford the team playing in the CIT/CBI in previous seasons. Kind of frustrating as a fan to be hit with higher ticket prices, paid parking and nickle and dimed elsewhere..and then be told that the team isn't playing in the postseason because of finances. Especially for what's arguably the school's most popular sport. Money is a means to an end for programs like ours..it's not the goal.

Lets be real here too, it is technically a postseason game as the season is over, but Alex Foster is most likely not disappointed in not being able to play in these. Road games he went to Kansas, Texas, etc sitting on the bench is more fun than playing in a 1k person filled gym in the CIT.

This is speculation, but could the players have been the ones that said we just want the season to end - UA08

I ran into a couple of players at the Mall and they seemed upset by the decision and it sure doesn;t send a good message to possible recruits.

• Like 2

They don't deserve to play. If this was a hard nosed team who game in game out gave it their all and just came up short...play on. But this team could beat anyone but also lost to some TERRIBLE competition because they CLEARLY displayed a lack of desire.

They don't deserve to play. And unfortunately, the one or two guys who might have played hard all season long have to 'pay the price' for their teammates...they should have been better leaders and kept their guys in line/focused. Instead, 90% of the team half-assed it at various points of the season.

Glad the season is over.

Edited by Eli

This is speculation, but could the players have been the ones that said we just want the season to end - UA08

I ran into a couple of players at the Mall and they seemed upset by the decision and it sure doesn;t send a good message to possible recruits.

I bet if the players had a vote, the majority would be PLAY. Also, agree it does NOT send a positive message to recruits, by turning down a chance to PLAY in a tournament.

I dont know what goes through the minds of recruits, but does a potential recruit really care that much about playing an extra game against a Niagra in an empty gym? Not playing in this years America east championship game hurts more than anything

I try to be an honest poster as well as a fan. And God knows I have posted some negative things on here (Campbell's Offense) due to the extremely high expectations on this team this year.

However on a positive note, let's not act like Siena (pure dumpster fire). We won 20+games again and have at least 5 freshman next year that look pretty damn good. We have Cremo and hopefully Nichols back. We will be ok and have a chance to be a very good next year. At the Midmajor level that's all we can ask.

• Like 5

that was a insane shot by Lyles. Wow. Good for them.

I forgot Lyles could have left as a grad transfer but stuck with UMBC. Great game, great finish. Would have been better for the conference for the Cats to go but I can totally live with them in the NIT.