UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Butts in the Seats 2018 edition

18 hours ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm on twitter and facebook, and I haven't seen "pimping". If you think that they are advertising enough, then I don't know what to say. The meet the players videos were great, but what else is out there? 

Well, then your settings are off.  I get a new thing about tickets almost every 2-3 days on twitter

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dane Pound said:

I don't really see how much we have to hype up.

We return less scoring, rebounding and assists than almost any team in the country. Mostly we have a lot of ?????????. Don't get me wrong, they look like good ?????? but they're still ???????

I'm actually fine with all the preseason expectations saying we're not going to be very good. They'll probably stumble sometimes but it's fun to watch young teams come together sometimes. I mean, you know, every 8 or 9 years or so, between strings of 20 win seasons.

Unless you are suggesting that the school decides to punt attendance this year because they wont be good. 

19 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

Well, then your settings are off.  I get a new thing about tickets almost every 2-3 days on twitter

I see ads for tickets every so often as well, but I am already following the team and I have renewed my seats already. I am not talking about a post saying that tickets are available. That does little to nothing except potentially remind people to renew or maybe grab the attention of someone who was thinking about buying tickets already.

The whole point is trying to find new butts to put in the seats. Obviously the school wants to renew everyone that is already a ticket holder, but without adding new people (people who may not be on twitter at all, much less following UA twitter accounts) then the attendance will shrink instead of grow. 

Edited by godanesgo99

Not sure if we do it (I don't think we do ) but one thing I'd really look into when it comes to drawing in students and creating a better home atmosphere is giving away an iPad or HDTV every couple of games through a raffle to the students. Everybody loves free stuff, especially college students...you give away one iPad or HDTV you can get some buzz and draw a bunch of students in for $300-$400 per giveaway.

3 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

When I was at UA, Mild Wallies gave away a free pizza to a student for every UA 3-pointer. We were only D2 at the time, but it got me to the games.  

RIP 50 cent slices, I think of you every time I pay $3.50 for one.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, ZLK said:

RIP 50 cent slices, I think of you every time I pay $3.50 for one.

LOL. I still remember $3.99 large Cheese Pies from DC's delivered to campus ($4.50 if you wanted pepperoni) We ordered about 15 pies a week to my suite on Colonial...

Edited by godanesgo99
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ZLK said:

Not sure if we do it (I don't think we do ) but one thing I'd really look into when it comes to drawing in students and creating a better home atmosphere is giving away an iPad or HDTV every couple of games through a raffle to the students. Everybody loves free stuff, especially college students...you give away one iPad or HDTV you can get some buzz and draw a bunch of students in for $300-$400 per giveaway.

They already tried something similar but they tied it to a contest that no one ever won...in year 4 of hauling around a 28" TV they got tired and gave it away I think...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, godanesgo99 said:

When I was at UA, Mild Wallies gave away a free pizza to a student for every UA 3-pointer. We were only D2 at the time, but it got me to the games.  

Mild Wallys also gave away condoms with $5 pizza my Freshman year.  I think the pizza was the better birth control.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Clickclack said:

They already tried something similar but they tied it to a contest that no one ever won...in year 4 of hauling around a 28" TV they got tired and gave it away I think...

Haha yeah. I don't think that thing was even 720p it was so old at one point ???

If you want NEW fans, charging $15-20 to sit on a crumby bleacher will be tough sell no matter what. They tried all those weird ticket promotions last season and it still didn't help much.

Get 2-3 games home games a year at the TU center and maybe you'll get some people interested. 

Considering the team needs the revenue they get from ticket sales, they would have to determine if lowering those prices would add enough people to the seats to make up for the lower prices.

Sell 1000 tickets to a game at $15 or sell 3000 at $5 would equal the same revenue?

You could argue that they wouldn't need that many because of the increased concession sales, but thanks to the university contract with Sodexo, they don't get anything from the concessions. It's part of their overall deal with the university and it lowers their pricing for the stuff they do on the rest of campus.

The solution is probably to lower the price of the bleacher seats a bit, but raise the price of the chairbacks a bit. Get more people in the building and end up with the same revenue.

Or they could lose another 500-1000 in capacity and make all sideline seats chairback. Not sure that works either, but it is an idea. 

I just want them to get a full season, full arena liquor license and let people bring beer to their seats. I think that would help more than anything.