UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Lacrosse at UMASS (3/6/18 - 3 PM)

Poor losers in the third - Marr took our top guys out - very smart - don't need more injuries. Stone Sims was out with a lower body injury - Anybody know what's up?

Edited by HOF2013

Yeah, and then #50 for us took a really stupid cheap shot and somehow he didn't get called for it.

I was @ the game and umass DESERVED any shots cheap or not. The cheap shot umass delivered on TD while he was already on his knees trying to get-up from a brutal slash (that had already been flagged) was about as "cheap" as I've ever seen. Basically crosschecked TD in the back while he was on all fours. #50 deserved an award, not a penalty; the ref's must have thought so too, since they did not penalize him. #42 did get a penalty, I did not see what he did, but I'll give him a reward too! Also, cannot figure how TD got 3 minutes, he pretty much was on the ground taking a beating. Will try to watch a replay if I can find one.

ps. earlier in the game I heard a UA coach (not sure which one) yelling @ the wings and said "I am sick of the cheap shots TD is taking, stop this $hit even you have to take a penalty." I was right behind the bench and knew their would be a brawl @ some point. Did not expect it to be quite as interesting as it turned out, but I am telling you, mass was asking for it from the get go. And once they started to fall behind they kept getting more aggressive. In my opinion, not in a get tuff try to win way but in a poor sportsmanship frustration way.

Edited by dslyank

OK. Moving forward. Jakob Patterson did not look good for the second game in a row. I had been very impressed with him vs su & drexel. Connor & Tehoka are not going to get 19 points between them every game. Coach even early, used several different players @ 4th attack (aka Bennett Drake's job last year). I thought Patterson had secured the position. But now I am wondering. I guess if 1-3 attacks get 20+ points, not much left for 4th to do, so maybe my assessment is a bit harsh? But going forward, I think we need to secure this spot; as well as have the wings do a better job of "protecting" TD. So far, I think the wings have been doing a good job getting the balls TD does not get clean; but maybe their main job is just to make sure he is not getting constantly beat on. THOUGHTS/OPINIONS??

Edited by dslyank

Yeah, and then #50 for us took a really stupid cheap shot and somehow he didn't get called for it.

I was @ the game and umass DESERVED any shots cheap or not. The cheap shot umass delivered on TD while he was already on his knees trying to get-up from a brutal slash (that had already been flagged) was about as "cheap" as I've ever seen. Basically crosschecked TD in the back while he was on all fours. #50 deserved an award, not a penalty; the ref's must have thought so too, since they did not penalize him. #42 did get a penalty, I did not see what he did, but I'll give him a reward too! Also, cannot figure how TD got 3 minutes, he pretty much was on the ground taking a beating. Will try to watch a replay if I can find one.

ps. earlier in the game I heard a UA coach (not sure which one) yelling @ the wings and said "I am sick of the cheap shots TD is taking, stop this $hit even you have to take a penalty." I was right behind the bench and knew their would be a brawl @ some point. Did not expect it to be quite as interesting as it turned out, but I am telling you, mass was asking for it from the get go. And once they started to fall behind they kept getting more aggressive. In my opinion, not in a get tuff try to win way but in a poor sportsmanship frustration way.

No idea how TD got flagged for an unsportsmanlike penalty on that whole scuffle

OK. Moving forward. Jakob Patterson did not look good for the second game in a row. I had been very impressed with him vs su & drexel. Connor & Tehoka are not going to get 19 points between them every game. Coach even early, used several different players @ 4th attack (aka Bennett Drake's job last year). I thought Patterson had secured the position. But now I am wondering. I guess if 1-3 attacks get 20+ points, not much left for 4th to do, so maybe my assessment is a bit harsh? But going forward, I think we need to secure this spot; as well as have the wings do a better job of "protecting" TD. So far, I think the wings have been doing a good job getting the balls TD does not get clean; but maybe their main job is just to make sure he is not getting constantly beat on. THOUGHTS/OPINIONS??

I have the same thoughts on Patterson as well. He is very, very skilled, but is definitely a finesse player and doesn't do well with a lot of contact. I noticed that Laffin got more early runs yesterday than he has, but he is more of a catch and shoot or finisher guy. Bennett could get his own shot.

I am liking what I am seeing out of Davis Diamond, but either way you are right that 4th attack position has been MIA other than against Syracuse.

I think the bigger thing is more consistent dodging threat from up top. McClancy can do it and has that great sweeping shot, but no one is really a threat from up top like Osika was last year.

I think UMass had the right gameplan. If I am playing UA, I play a packed in zone or force the dodge from up top. Both Burgmaster's also have the ability to dodge and shoot on the run.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

They did not show that on the video. GLAD they were looking out. The big guy they had a FO was going after him needlessly!! Outrageous behavior!! LOSERS!! Thanks for filling us in. No Idea why TD got the penalties either - Outrageous. I Hope there is Something Marr can say or do about it.

I have the same thoughts on Patterson as well. He is very, very skilled, but is definitely a finesse player and doesn't do well with a lot of contact. I noticed that Laffin got more early runs yesterday than he has, but he is more of a catch and shoot or finisher guy. Bennett could get his own shot.

I am liking what I am seeing out of Davis Diamond, but either way you are right that 4th attack position has been MIA other than against Syracuse.

I think the bigger thing is more consistent dodging threat from up top. McClancy can do it and has that great sweeping shot, but no one is really a threat from up top like Osika was last year.

I think UMass had the right gameplan. If I am playing UA, I play a packed in zone or force the dodge from up top. Both Burgmaster's also have the ability to dodge and shoot on the run.

Patterson turns the ball over on dumb mistakes - like he is not pay attention sometimes.

Pardon my lack of political correctness ....

UMass just joined Drexel on the #MeTooMovement

200.gif

I am the most politically UNCORRECT person you will ever know!

• Like 1

Actually # 50 RD Soph, Sean Gleason did knock him on his ass, Another guy came in and 42, Freshman Peter Schwab came up behind that guy and tried to knock him down. I just re-watched it.! The U Mass guys should be suspended for the next couple of games!! Outrageous!!

Edited by HOF2013

While I tend to agree on the assessment of Patterson, one big thing to keep in mind is that Syracuse opted to put the LSM on McClancy, which allowed Patterson, an attackmen, to dodge against a short stick all game. ANY division 1 attackmen should be able to beat a shorty with their eyes closed. Since then, Patterson has been getting the LSM. The scoring directly reflects that.

Patterson vs the LSM has 2 goals in 3 games and against shorties he's had 4 goals in 1 game. McClancy had 1 goal when getting the LSM vs Cuse and 5 goals in 3 games when getting a short stick defender. It also provides further evidence that playing a 4th attackmen works and we are starting to see other teams implement the same strategy (I.E. Notre Dame.

McClancy is a consensus top 10 MLL draft pick. The number of D1 teams who have so much firepower that a top 10 midfielder draws a short stick match-up is one. I think one wrinkle that we may see UA implement against UMD is to decrease the number of defensive shifts McClancy takes in order to keep him as fresh as possible for the offensive end.

On another note - I am interested to see if T.D. has added any significant counters to his game. Looking back on the quarterfinal loss to UMD, they threw out their #2 FOGO who went from a stand-up stance and did a rake (I'm not 100% on this). This move allowed him to scrap for the GB with the advantage of already on two feet as opposed to T.D. who had to get up off one knee. I obviously can't argue with the results thus far, but UMass showed that teams will at least make the faceoff competitive