UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018/2019 Schedule

58 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm fine with 2 games a year with home and home, that works mostly great. It ends the "Albany Cup" though. What if there is a split?

Do we really want to play them twice and have twice the affect on RPI and SOS playing that junk?

Does twice a year reduce the hype?

These are good points, and I can only speculate as to the hype. As with many rivalries in basketball, playing twice a year can also increase the hype (Duke/UNC, Mich/MSU, etc.). As for the Albany Cup, it could be awarded on aggregate score or simply remain with the team who last won. Or simply not bother with the cup. Isn't that something that the city or mayor's office came up with? Only the diehards like us stick around postgame to see the cup being awarded. Or, play a third Albany Cup game (I'm serious, lol). Don't RPI and Union play a home and home and then a third Albany Cup game in January at the TUC? Play once at SEFCU, once at Siena's campus in their new gym (serious), and then once at the TUC as a neutral site game for the community. Ha! I like the option of playing them twice in one year better than three times (a bit excessive), but it's fun to think about such a scenario.

Finally, would having this game (temporarily until an agreement is reached longterm) at the civic center in Glens Falls or out in Utica be totally off the table?

Edited by UA_MA_2000

23 minutes ago, UA_MA_2000 said:

These are good points, and I can only speculate as to the hype. As with many rivalries in basketball, playing twice a year can also increase the hype (Duke/UNC, Mich/MSU, etc.). As for the Albany Cup, it could be awarded on aggregate score or simply remain with the team who last won. Or simply not bother with the cup. Isn't that something that the city or mayor's office came up with? Only the diehards like us stick around postgame to see the cup being awarded. Or, play a third Albany Cup game (I'm serious, lol). Don't RPI and Union play a home and home and then a third Albany Cup game in January at the TUC? Play once at SEFCU, once at Siena's campus in their new gym (serious), and then once at the TUC as a neutral site game for the community. Ha! I like the option of playing them twice in one year better than three times (a bit excessive), but it's fun to think about such a scenario.

Finally, would having this game (temporarily until an agreement is reached longterm) at the civic center in Glens Falls or out in Utica be totally off the table?

$iena ain’t worth even 5% of the effort it would take to continue this game.  Adios Aints!  

Edited by uofalbany
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, bob87 said:

Wasn't someone complaining we play some of the same teams too much. Now a complaint we don't play this team enough ?

Well if we are getting paid it’s a different story.

Also never complained about playing the same teams. If we are playing the same solid mid majors every year I don’t care.

Edited by UA'08

9 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Well if we are getting paid it’s a different story.

Also never complained about playing the same teams. If we are playing the same solid mid majors every year I don’t care.

Paid or not, I look forward to going somewhere new each season

3 hours ago, Clickclack said:

As for why no money games... Belfast apparently paying 6 figures... That's why no second money game to providence. 

I must have missed this. Thanks for the info. Is that 6 figure number included towards the teams flight, hotel, etc? 

On 7/1/2018 at 4:28 PM, godanesgo99 said:

The average age of a $iena fan is north of 60. This is the easy answer to why they have fewer twitter followers.

Perhaps there's another reason why LCC has fewer tweet followers. Where has LCC gone in the postseason? Its crosstown rival, however, has created a lot more excitement the last few years in mid-March. We may simply have more non-school followers.