UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018/2019 Schedule

6 hours ago, Clickclack said:

As we round the corner into July, gotta believe the chances of this game happening are dropping. Good!!! Home and home or Siena can go pound salt!

The most telling thing was last year's game with 30 seconds left when Brown put Fruscio in the last minute of a somewhat tight game. It may not have meant anything but to me that said CB wanted to get the local guy in an Albany Cup game and he didn't think we'd be playing it again for a while. Just a guess.

15 hours ago, cwdickens said:

So Athletic director Benson continues to keep the cards close to his vest .... no announcements.... likely means the discussion continues

Either that or the schedule isn't complete yet and thus not announced yet

Edited by bob87
  • Like 1

My thoughts on the issue .... has a decision whether or not to continue the UALBANY - Siena was made or still under discussion ...a legit question ... not that anyone in the know has to respond ... My interest comes from getting a sense where the mind set of the AD is taking UALBANY sports 

Just play Siena twice in one year. Once at the TU, and once at SEFCU. The argument that it would diminish the rivalry by playing twice in one year is utter nonsense (i.e., Duke vs NC or Ohio St or Mich St vs Michigan), and two games draws in more fans and money for both schools. So if we play them twice, we might grow fonder of Siena? Is that it? Is there any doubt that we would sell out SEFCU if we played them again in January and dislike their putrid fanbase any less? Please. This is such a simple solution that benefits and solves problems for both schools (we have heard scheduling OOC games is challenging). Adding 2 local games to each school's OOC schedule saves the respective athletic departments money in travel costs too. Play them twice. Do it.

As for revenue, they keep their ticket sales and proceeds from their TU concessions and rotting pizzas that they sell, and we keep the proceeds from those dry chicken tenders that Sodexo serves up. Sodexo has come up with some tasty stuff behind the endzone at football games, but the food at SEFCU is for freshmen. Booze and atmosphere in the HOF room is great, but where's the beef? A burger would be ______! When we win the America East this year, I want to look back and say I ate red meat while we did so. I have more confidence in Sodexo than the TU. The TU's food menu is dated like the building's footprint -- namely, 1990 (but I appreciate the renovations and movie screens on Pearl Street; hopefully some eateries and pubs will go in across the street next to the probation department). We win the food round. 

Returning to the matter at hand, I am sure that both fan bases would rather watch a Siena and Albany game twice than some other game against a low mid-major private school. Colgate? Cornell? Bryant? Columbia? Some NEC or Ivy League school? BU? Patriot League? BORING. Who else will come to the Capital Region? Be honest UA and Siena. Play each other twice (or more). I will dislike them twice as much (or more). Love it.

Edited by UA_MA_2000
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

We did play the 'aints twice a season nine or ten times between 1960-1977,  depending on the matchups in the Capital District Tournament. But the basketball world has changed since then. Nobody was worried about schedule strength in D-III.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, UA_MA_2000 said:

Just play Siena twice in one year. Once at the TU, and once at SEFCU. The argument that it would diminish the rivalry by playing twice in one year is utter nonsense (i.e., Duke vs NC or Ohio St or Mich St vs Michigan), and two games draws in more fans and money for both schools. So if we play them twice, we might grow fonder of Siena? Is that it? Is there any doubt that we would sell out SEFCU if we played them again in January and dislike their putrid fanbase any less? Please. This is such a simple solution that benefits and solves problems for both schools (we have heard scheduling OOC games is challenging). Adding 2 local games to each school's OOC schedule saves the respective athletic departments money in travel costs too. Play them twice. Do it.

As for revenue, they keep their ticket sales and proceeds from their TU concessions and rotting pizzas that they sell, and we keep the proceeds from those dry chicken tenders that Sodexo serves up. Sodexo has come up with some tasty stuff behind the endzone at football games, but the food at SEFCU is for freshmen. Booze and atmosphere in the HOF room is great, but where's the beef? A burger would be ______! When we win the America East this year, I want to look back and say I ate red meat while we did so. I have more confidence in Sodexo than the TU. The TU's food menu is dated like the building's footprint -- namely, 1990 (but I appreciate the renovations and movie screens on Pearl Street; hopefully some eateries and pubs will go in across the street next to the probation department). We win the food round. 

Returning to the matter at hand, I am sure that both fan bases would rather watch a Siena and Albany game twice than some other game against a low mid-major private school. Colgate? Cornell? Bryant? Columbia? Some NEC or Ivy League school? BU? Patriot League? BORING. Who else will come to the Capital Region? Be honest UA and Siena. Play each other twice (or more). I will dislike them twice as much (or more). Love it.

What if I told you that they refuse to come to SEFCU only because they see it as capitulating to UA? Don't underestimate how much they view coming to SEFCU as a slap to the face and damaging to their over-inflated ego.  Until that's overcome, good luck!

On 6/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, Clickclack said:

As we round the corner into July, gotta believe the chances of this game happening are dropping. Good!!! Home and home or Siena can go pound salt!

I agree .... I feel Benson is allowing Will to fill the schedule... Benson likely asked for the best deal and Benson did not like what he saw

On 6/20/2018 at 12:19 PM, Clickclack said:

Grew up on UAlbany basketball... Since 1970... Before my days as a student remember the years of two games ... Not sure of two games... Yes some great rivalries happen twice season (and more)  due to conference play ... This is different .. Do not see Siena or their fans (or our fans) going for this ... This rivalry is one and done per season type of game .... 

On 6/22/2018 at 11:37 PM, UA_MA_2000 said:

Speak for yourself

I have no desire to spend any money there . Best to go there every other year and I use that weekend for a road trip somewhere else

• Like 1
  • Confused 1