UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Cremo nichols leave...

You guys can put whatever spin you want on this but it is crushing to the program....and sends a terrible message to potential targets. Not only did we lose our top four scorers from last year (and most importantly our two highest scorers), but we lost a guy in Cremo who was the epitome :) of the player you want on this team - a relentless worker and a guy who seemed to bleed purple. Devastating....

Edited by dane85
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, MRSGDG said:

Just a thing to point out.. they are report different things for the players. David they are clear he is leaving and confirmed by his dad on Twitter.

Joe.. it says Monday... so maybe it's not set in stone ..wishful thinking :).  " Cremo’s release is expected to come Monday. " And I haven't seen any confirmation from Joe or his family posted like we have seen with David.  https://twitter.com/chrisonorato/status/979484984506486784 

Okay nevermind Michael Kelly from Gazette contacted Joe and Joe confirmed he is leaving.(twitter)

16 minutes ago, dane85 said:

You guys can put whatever spin you want on this but it is crushing to the program....and sends a terrible message to potential targets. Not only did we lose our top four scorers from last year (and most importantly our two highest scorers), but we lost a guy in Cremo who was the antithesis of the player you want on this team - a relentless worker and a guy who seemed to bleed purple. Devastating....

Not sure you mean antithesis -

a person or thing that is the direct opposite of someone or something else.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, dane85 said:

You guys can put whatever spin you want on this but it is crushing to the program....and sends a terrible message to potential targets. Not only did we lose our top four scorers from last year (and most importantly our two highest scorers), but we lost a guy in Cremo who was the antithesis  enbodyment of the player you want on this team - a relentless worker and a guy who seemed to bleed purple. Devastating....

Yup. It sucks and is going to suck for a while. Going to suck to see Cremo play in another uniform next year.

Been watching Cremo play since his junior year of high school As Dane96 said, he would have been a legend had he stayed but the grad rule is creating free agency in college basketball.

Only read bright spot is knowing our players don't just graduate, but graduate in three years.

Edited by Dane Pound

My very first thought when I saw this tonight was that this is what happens when your AD refuses to fund the team's post season.  As a fan, I agree with most that the CIT and the CBI do not thrill me, but, I recall a post by Patch stating that the players wanted another game.  If the AD doesn't support the players, why should we expect David and Joe to pass on the opportunity to play at a higher level.

My second thought was that Patsos will be rushing to sign a new contract knowing we enter the season with only Campbell & Clark as returning players

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Joe’s legacy just went from potential rafter jersey to Logan Aronholt.

Agreed 100% These kids where given 3 scholarship years and in my book they owe something to UA, the community, donors, teammates, coaches, and fans who made it possible. I am sorry but I am hurt especially about Joe.

Logan; for those who do not remember him he came to us as Mr Ohio Basketball from a small school. He was what you might expect a decent player that had some talent, but also raw and some flaws. He would NOT have been a "player" @ any level other than low mid major. After four years (injury red shirt one year) he developed enough and transferred to Maryland where he contributed a little off the bench, but did get to the ncaa tournament. In his case, the transfer was not because of pro aspirations but because UA did not have the grad program he was after. 

Anyhow, Joe like Logan was a small school star with only average shooting range (he played mostly up front in high school.) IMHO, like Logan Joe would absolutely NOT have been a player @ any level above low or mid major. Do not get me wrong, I flat out LOVE the kid. By hard work, good coaching he has done very well for himself. But he will be NO more than a role player @ say Atlantic 10 and get garbage minutes @ Power 5 schools. Jamar had offers to transfer but stuck around for a couple ncca tournaments and parlayed his UA experience to  years of pro basketball overseas where he has played across Europe and Australia. So have a number of other UA grads. So for those who say Joe/Nichiols deserve a chance to finish their careers up, to enhance their pro chances; I say garbage. So even if you disagree that they owe something to the parties mentioned above {and you certainly have a right to disagree }, I feel they actually would have a good or even better chance of going euro-pro by staying at UA.

And lastly I agree with Dane 96  that the ncaa is making it much too easy to transfer and KILLING college sports, but that is an argument/discussion for another time.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, statefan said:

My very first thought when I saw this tonight was that this is what happens when your AD refuses to fund the team's post season.  As a fan, I agree with most that the CIT and the CBI do not thrill me, but, I recall a post by Patch stating that the players wanted another game.  If the AD doesn't support the players, why should we expect David and Joe to pass on the opportunity to play at a higher level.

My second thought was that Patsos will be rushing to sign a new contract knowing we enter the season with only Campbell & Clark as returning players

It was a critical error by Benson, overall, and is one of the reasons I am not sold on him being an administrator.  Marketing guy...yep.  But not sold on the package.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm still guessing that they knew they were leaving before the playoffs even, and that is why they didn't play post season, not budget.

I'm guessing you're wrong with that thought.

Edited by MRSGDG

22 minutes ago, dane85 said:

an even bigger concern - do they know something we don't? is it possible Brown is on the move?? this all smells

Not unless something has RADICALLY changed.  Brown is out recruiting hard...really hard.

4 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

I'm still guessing that they knew they were leaving before the playoffs even, and that is why they didn't play post season, not budget.

1 minute ago, MRSGDG said:

I'm guessing you're wrong.

I'm out of guesses for today

A lot of people on this board were pretty happy we were able to pick up Ale Foster because of the grad transfer rule. Some were even saying Brown should even go out and get one or two more. Unfortunately this is the other side of that rule. People came in and poached our program. I find these two transfers out of the program to be very unfortunate  I wonder if Joe would have stayed for his final year if they were able to make the dance in one of his first three years. 

I wouldn't put this on the same level of Logan Aronholt. I find this situation to be worse. Joe is a Local guy, great player, great teammate, leader, tough, all the things you want. I always found Logan to be soft and hide in big moments. I didn't think he was very dependable. 

I agree with the guys who said this is a bad look for future recruits too. It just lends itself to questions of why and how could this happen. But, for the current incoming guys and guys coming off their redshirt year, its a great opportunity. I was hoping Joe could show them the way before his 4 years was up, hopefully they don't follow his lead now.

• Like 4