UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

9 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

Not a bad effort.  I know, 18 goals and I am complaining.   Still could be more efficient, many shots in 1st half not strong and right into goalies stick.  Tehoka is wacky.  The toughest shots he scores and the easy wide open ones are easy saves.  He also is good for at least 2 shots a game where he has back to goal and fires at least 10 feet wide lol.  Great to see Connor play and play well and stay healthy.  That draining helped tremendously.   TD great.   JD a little off in 1st half, couple easy goals.  

Could that effort beat ND or Denver?  I guess question now is who would you rather play next.  Nemesis ND or Baptiste.  I go with Denver.  TD splits with Baptiste and  Denver can't score so we should score enough to win.

I am going to have to go with Notre Dame, but not by much which sounds crazy I know, but I think Denver style wise is a worse match up.

I think TD is awesome, but he has struggled twice against Connor Mackie, and Baptiste is Mackie on steroids. So I think against Denver at best we go 40%-50% and that would actually be a big win. What I like worse about Denver is that their offense is predicated on fast ball movement, forcing slides, and then pin point shooting. I have said all year, I know probably too much, but we create too much offense for opposing teams and we did that yesterday as well. If we played Denver with our quick slides ( which in most cases we haven't needed) Denver will blow up the scoreboard on us. The positive of playing Denver is that Maybe is out which evens out the wing play, and their goalies are all sub 50% with zero confidence at the moment.

Now if we would go to a slow to slide define and force Denver to show they can win a one on one match up which they haven't done all year then I would say Denver, but I haven't seen any evidence all year that we will go to a slow to go defense. Except on rare occasions are close defenders have played great all year. The weakness has been SSDM's playing soft on the alley dodges, and poles and the LSM's crashing inside when there was no need and giving opposing offensive players clean 10-12 yard looks. That plays right into Denver's hands.

The biggest con on playing Notre Dame is that they were the hottest team going into the tournament, they have a great defense, and wing play that unless TD can win it early and clean, they will win a lot of face off even if TD wins the clamp. I think we match up better with their offense though, and they have a freshmen goalie who has been hot and cold and has been very cold lately.

I am going to waffle here and say, I really think it comes down to our game plan and how we adapt to who the eventual opponent is. Either way this is the toughest quadrant in the tournament, and will probably be equal to the national semi finals or championship game.

12 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Don't agree at all.  A couple of let downs but the defense played VERY WELL in my mind.  Egan got beat twice, McClancy got beat once and they had a long downfield pass for quick score 4 of their 9.  Defense was aggressive as hell caused numerous turnovers.  We were aggressive for ground balls as well..

I see defense as a package and totally agree the close guys with the exception of one really bad slide by Simms played well. However, one of Lanchbury's goals was on a totally unnecessary slide, Hatfiled dropped a pass on a wide open look on a slide that didn't need to happen, and there were a few more where Richmond failed to execute where we gave them free offense.

Dhluy had an amazing game as did Simms. I didn't see Perla as much, but the close guys have played solid all year. It is the coordination between the poles, what the LSM is doing off ball, and how we allow easy wing dodges that continues to bother me, and I saw too much of that against a just so so Richmond offense.

Also, giving up nine to a mediocre Richmond team, when TD goes 75% or so and I want to say it was our lowest turnover game of the season isn't a very efficient overall defensive effort. For as much or as little as Richmond had the ball nine goals was a lot, but do agree in the 2nd half things were quite a bit better. That nine goals is probably 12-15 against our second round opponent.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

14 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I am going to have to go with Notre Dame, but not by much which sounds crazy I know, but I think Denver style wise is a worse match up.

I think TD is awesome, but he has struggled twice against Connor Mackie, and Baptiste is Mackie on steroids. So I think against Denver at best we go 40%-50% and that would actually be a big win. What I like worse about Denver is that their offense is predicated on fast ball movement, forcing slides, and then pin point shooting. I have said all year, I know probably too much, but we create too much offense for opposing teams and we did that yesterday as well. If we played Denver with our quick slides ( which in most cases we haven't needed) Denver will blow up the scoreboard on us. The positive of playing Denver is that Maybe is out which evens out the wing play, and their goalies are all sub 50% with zero confidence at the moment.

Now if we would go to a slow to slide define and force Denver to show they can win a one on one match up which they haven't done all year then I would say Denver, but I haven't seen any evidence all year that we will go to a slow to go defense. Except on rare occasions are close defenders have played great all year. The weakness has been SSDM's playing soft on the alley dodges, and poles and the LSM's crashing inside when there was no need and giving opposing offensive players clean 10-12 yard looks. That plays right into Denver's hands.

The biggest con on playing Notre Dame is that they were the hottest team going into the tournament, they have a great defense, and wing play that unless TD can win it early and clean, they will win a lot of face off even if TD wins the clamp. I think we match up better with their offense though, and they have a freshmen goalie who has been hot and cold and has been very cold lately.

I am going to waffle here and say, I really think it comes down to our game plan and how we adapt to who the eventual opponent is. Either way this is the toughest quadrant in the tournament, and will probably be equal to the national semi finals or championship game.

Let's also take into consideration and it could or could not be a factor...

Albany...4 hour bus ride

Denver...cross country trip

Notre Dame...?

You gotta think the Albany contingent is going to be a big factor at a "neutral field"

20 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Denver has lost one of the top players to ineligibility and have not played as well in the last few games.   

20 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I see defense as a package and totally agree the close guys with the exception of one really bad slide by Simms played well. However, one of Lanchbury's goals was on a totally unnecessary slide, Hatfiled dropped a pass on a wide open look on a slide that didn't need to happen, and there were a few more where Richmond failed to execute where we gave them free offense.

Dhluy had an amazing game as did Simms. I didn't see Perla as much, but the close guys have played solid all year. It is the coordination between the poles, what the LSM is doing off ball, and how we allow easy wing dodges that continues to bother me, and I saw too much of that against a just so so Richmond offense.

Also, giving up nine to a mediocre Richmond team, when TD goes 75% or so and I want to say it was our lowest turnover game of the season isn't a very efficient overall defensive effort. For as much or as little as Richmond had the ball nine goals was a lot, but do agree in the 2nd half things were quite a bit better. That nine goals is probably 12-15 against our second round opponent.

I do not understand the constant negativity!!!  You can  not discount ANYBODY in the playoffs.  Richmond won a couple of key games, North Carolina and Bucknell. 

2 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I do not understand the constant negativity!!!  You can  not discount ANYBODY in the playoffs.  Richmond won a couple of key games, North Carolina and Bucknell. 

I just try to call balls and strikes as I see them.

I rewatched the game and stand by what I said. This team has a unique ability to make it to where no other Dane team has. The most complete team ever,  but going forward whether it is Denver, ND, Yale again we can't bank on have a 75%+ face off advantage.

I think you can count on one or maybe two hands how many times our close defenders have lost a 1 v 1 match up this season, yet as a team defense we have been underwhelming at times, especially by creating offense for the other team. That's exactly what happened last night, the teams we are likely to face going forward will make us pay for it, and we are unlikely to have a huge possession advantage which will further stress the defensive schemes. Go back and watch Richmond's goals.

IMO JD will have to save the ball at over 60% which he can certainly do in a game where we don't have a decided possession advantage.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

2 minutes ago, uofalbany said:

Espnu

Can't find link to access, been trying.  I have spectrum, keeps asking for my provider

Edited by HOF2013