UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2020

7 hours ago, Eli said:

I mean 1-2 bonafide scorers like Cam. You can't have 3 or even 4 Cams (not enough shots to go around and hard to recruit that due to those guys wanting to be option 1 or 2, not 3 or 4) . But you can't have 4 Hanks either. What I mean is 2 Cams + 1 end of freshmen year Malachi (someone who will get you 10 a game but can go for 15 or so if one or both Cams are guarded close). With 3 of those on the floor you'll be fine...defense wins championships, right? 

A bit dated (not intentionally but I recognize this discounts Virginia’s win) but no defense doesn’t win championships.  It’s really a balancing act but seems to lean on offense.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.ncaa.com/news/basketball-men/article/2018-11-10/nine-years-college-basketball-data-show-offense-matters-more%3famp

48 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

Given the recent commitments I'm guessing we have no shot of getting Holmes (he decides today ). That man would be a terrific get. 

Anyone else concerned that Brown is just not offering Freshman recruits? We offered basically none this year.  Maybe he is feeling the heat of his contract and needs to win now but I dont think you can consistantly build a program like this. (Unless your Iona!) . 

Amica is the future at PG...is a freshman but your point is well taken. Don't let me get on my high horse about JUCO's but I get why Brown has to do it. He's out of time. 

25 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Amica is the future at PG...is a freshman but your point is well taken. Don't let me get on my high horse about JUCO's but I get why Brown has to do it. He's out of time. 

If Amica gives us the career of Mike Black, we are in good hands for 4 years at PG.  I would signup for that right now.  As for giving out a scholly to a couple more HS seniors right now means those players were looked over by D1 teams and same for D2, D3 schools and we then over reached for what are non-D1 talent.  We all loved Fruscio for what he gave on the sideline and in locker room but he was not D1 player.  Just to fill out the bench with guys who ride the pine doesn't help the front court issues.  Don't think CB will find talent at this point at the HS level.  There are exceptions but those players probably have academic issues who would not qualify to play here.

I think CB is in a win know situation if you had a son "who was a decent player" would you send him to a coach who has 1 year on his contract???? Remember in an "Idea"l situation kids pick a school but in the" Real World" kids pick a coach!

It appears CB is looking for players who have some DI experience already!

Today's Albany Times -Union has an article about the Transfer Portel.  In brief, the articles details how th the Transfer Portal has left coaches in all conferences, at all levels of play and NCAA Division affiliation scrambling for players.  The days of establishing a program are over; while putting a team together year to year is now the norm.

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Given the recent commitments I'm guessing we have no shot of getting Holmes (he decides today ). That man would be a terrific get. 

Anyone else concerned that Brown is just not offering Freshman recruits? We offered basically none this year.  Maybe he is feeling the heat of his contract and needs to win now but I dont think you can consistantly build a program like this. (Unless your Iona!) . 

Two articles in today's TU addressing why low and mid majors NOT going after freshman. Both express the transfer portal and expected no sit rule change. Greg Marshall now of Wichita State was noted as a "Program" builder and says he is now forced into being a "Team" builder. Article is from AP "Transfer portal causing headaches."

• Like 1

4 hours ago, UA1882 said:

Looks like Holmes may be head to Western Michigan based on his recent Twitter follows.

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

Two articles in today's TU addressing why low and mid majors NOT going after freshman. Both express the transfer portal and expected no sit rule change. Greg Marshall now of Wichita State was noted as a "Program" builder and says he is now forced into being a "Team" builder. Article is from AP "Transfer portal causing headaches."

Article stated grooming incoming freshmen is a thing of the past.

On 4/15/2020 at 8:51 AM, nysteve661 said:

If Amica gives us the career of Mike Black, we are in good hands for 4 years at PG.  I would signup for that right now.  As for giving out a scholly to a couple more HS seniors right now means those players were looked over by D1 teams and same for D2, D3 schools and we then over reached for what are non-D1 talent.  We all loved Fruscio for what he gave on the sideline and in locker room but he was not D1 player.  Just to fill out the bench with guys who ride the pine doesn't help the front court issues.  Don't think CB will find talent at this point at the HS level.  There are exceptions but those players probably have academic issues who would not qualify to play here.

Kind of funny that you mention Mike Black and late signings together. If I remember right, Mike Black was a late signing. I think he originally committed to North Florida and their coach was fired so he came to Albany instead.

That was a different time though.

Hinckson would be a great get. I think I read he is 6'7" but is listed as a guard. He could probably plug in to the 4 slot pretty quick, but I think he is more of a 3. Would help, but definitely would not help the major lack of size that this team has for next year right now. 

Also, wouldn't he have to sit a year? We need a big or two that can play now. 

Edited by godanesgo99