UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2020

Hmm

Lost:

Clark, Lauderdale, French, deSousa, Doherty, Hansen

Gained

Amica, Horton, Kelly, Champion, Hansen

That would imply only 1 scholarship left, unless someone else is leaving that I am unaware of. 

Going back to my depth chart from a a few pages ago, we had 9 scholarship players and a walk-on: meaning 4 available ships. The team has added 3 since then. Math means only 1 remaining, unless we get 14 for some reason instead of the normal 13.

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

I've watched that move at 4:13 4 times...LOL...

I see he last played for Norfolk St in 18-19 after RS freshman year due to NCAA partial qualifier.  Was on MEAC all- rookie team avg 4.5 pts a game in 12 mpg.  Shot 48% but was 68% from FT and 11-41 from 3.  Where was he this past season?  Not on Norfolk St roster. 

47 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Hmm

Lost:

Clark, Lauderdale, French, deSousa, Doherty, Hansen

Gained

Amica, Horton, Kelly, Champion, Hansen

That would imply only 1 scholarship left, unless someone else is leaving that I am unaware of. 

Going back to my depth chart from a a few pages ago, we had 9 scholarship players and a walk-on: meaning 4 available ships. The team has added 3 since then. Math means only 1 remaining, unless we get 14 for some reason instead of the normal 13.

So far only Amica, Horton, Kelly, and Champion are committed...leaving 2.  6 left...Clark, Hensen, Lauderdale, Doherty, DeSousa and French. 

Edited by Clickclack

37 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

I see he last played for Norfolk St in 18-19 after RS freshman year due to NCAA partial qualifier.  Was on MEAC all- rookie team avg 4.5 pts a game in 12 mpg.  Shot 48% but was 68% from FT and 11-41 from 3.  Where was he this past season?  Not on Norfolk St roster. 

Pratt College, got injured...rumor has it wanted to go high major but injury held him/offers back. Not sure how true. 

I'm a little concerned that so many guys are coming off injuries..JoJo, Champion, Shafer, Lulka, Kelly

Edited by Clickclack

59 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Pratt College, got injured...rumor has it wanted to go high major but injury held him/offers back. Not sure how true. 

I'm a little concerned that so many guys are coming off injuries..JoJo, Champion, Shafer, Lulka, Kelly

Thanks.  I see your concern for injury bug and CB teams seem to get hit hard with injuries during practices especially in the pre season.  Maybe continue social distancing during pre-season practices coach? 😝😝😝

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

So far only Amica, Horton, Kelly, and Champion are committed...leaving 2.  6 left...Clark, Hensen, Lauderdale, Doherty, DeSousa and French. 

Wow. I must being seeing things. I wrote Hansen as gained, but I meant Holmes. I could have sworn I saw someone just post today that he had signed. Looked back and either the post was gone, or I imagined it. I thought I saw a post that looked like the Kelly post.

Oh well, pass me another beer.

I personally would rather see us get three more bigs then one more guard, that being said kelly was unbelievable in high school on long island, ultra talented, all meac rookie team as a frosh . Have to wonder if Brown would play either kelly , champion, or bulk up hutch at the four, go four guards one big. They desparately need an athletic big. Champion will be matchup nightmare for most america east teams, i think kelley has not committed yet and has character/grade questions? The guard depth is insane for low division one. Clearly over recruiting a lot of guys which we needed.

Just read on verbal commits that cj kelley committed to albany, beat iona, rider, stony brook, canisus and niagara to name a few. This signals:

Pg anderson, amica

sg healey, rizzuto

Sf cj kelley , jamel horton

Stretch four - chuck champion, trey hutcheson

center lulka, hank  DESPARATELY need two more athletic bigs, even if all they can do is rebound and make a layup. Love the depth of guard and stretch four spot. Champion- hutch will be undersized but outside of stony beook who lost half their team everyone plays small.

Some of you folks seem to not understand that opportunities to score are limited. Hank is garbage and should be replaced because he can't score? HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TOO! His only jobs are to take up space inside, rotate on people driving into the lane, rebound and try not to foul in the process. That's it. And he did all but one of those (fouls) exceptionally well IMO. I was the first to call him out as a strong defender last year and by the end of the year most of you agreed cause you stopped trying to see him score 10ppg. If he scores 10ppg, that means he had like 15 rebounds.

We need 2-3 scorers from the starting five and 2-3 from the bench. Everyone else plays defense. You can't have a team of 15ppg scorers. Basketball doesn't work that way. No one at our level is averaging 100ppg. You need 1-2 to average 17ppg, 1-2 to average 13ppg and then the rest get the scraps of 5-6ppg.

All I want is to not have to watch guards chuck 3's for 40 minutes like Nichols and Clark. If these guys can penetrate, I'll be happy. I don't care if they penetrate and dish to an open 3 and that 3 is missed, that's a smart play and a good shot albeit low percentage...but I'm tired of watching people jack contested 3's because 'we have no one else' or take 3's with 25 seconds on the clock or 5 ft behind the line. I'd prefer an attack and dish to a mid-range jumper or a cutter to the basket though.

Edited by Eli

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

Some of you folks seem to not understand that opportunities to score are limited. Hank is garbage and should be replaced because he can't score? HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TOO! His one and only job is to take up space inside, rotate on people driving into the lane, rebound and try not to foul in the process. That's it. And he did all but one of those (fouls) exceptionally well IMO. I was the first to call him out as a strong defender last year and by the end of the year most of you agreed cause you stopped trying to see him score 10ppg. If he scores 10ppg, that means he had like 15 rebounds.

We need 2-3 scorers from the starting five and 2-3 from the bench. Everyone else plays defense. You can't have a team of 15ppg scorers. Basketball doesn't work that way. No one at our level is averaging 100ppg. You need 1-2 to average 17ppg, 1-2 to average 13ppg and then the rest get the scraps of 5-6ppg.

Past couple years it’s been the two leading scorers and a plethora of guys with 5-7ppg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Eli said:

Some of you folks seem to not understand that opportunities to score are limited. Hank is garbage and should be replaced because he can't score? HE'S NOT SUPPOSED TOO! His only jobs are to take up space inside, rotate on people driving into the lane, rebound and try not to foul in the process. That's it. And he did all but one of those (fouls) exceptionally well IMO. I was the first to call him out as a strong defender last year and by the end of the year most of you agreed cause you stopped trying to see him score 10ppg. If he scores 10ppg, that means he had like 15 rebounds.

All I want is to not have to watch guards chuck 3's for 40 minutes like Nichols and Clark. If these guys can penetrate, I'll be happy. I don't care if they penetrate and dish to an open 3 and that 3 is missed, that's a smart play and a good shot albeit low percentage...but I'm tired of watching people jack contested 3's because 'we have no one else' or take 3's with 25 seconds on the clock or 5 ft behind the line. I'd prefer an attack and dish to a mid-range jumper or a cutter to the basket though.

I tend to disagree w the premise of only having 2 “scorers” on the floor at the same time.  That’s how you end up chucking contested 3’s.  One Hanks on the floor is okay.  2 or 3 defense and rebound guys kills an offense.  Plus it’s terribly boring to watch.  

I love the idea of driving and dishing to open 3’s.  But if the guy driving isn’t a finisher, and the inside guys aren’t finishers, then the 2 scorers will still be covered no?  I need 3 scorers and one more that is at least a threat.  I’d like the 5th to be competent offensively unless he’s a stud on the defensive end.  Hanks May be good, but not a stud.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bball2020 said:

I personally would rather see us get three more bigs then one more guard, that being said kelly was unbelievable in high school on long island, ultra talented, all meac rookie team as a frosh . Have to wonder if Brown would play either kelly , champion, or bulk up hutch at the four, go four guards one big. They desparately need an athletic big. Champion will be matchup nightmare for most america east teams, i think kelley has not committed yet and has character/grade questions? The guard depth is insane for low division one. Clearly over recruiting a lot of guys which we needed.

We had 2 functional guards and 1 ball handler last year.inget your concern about bigs but I never want to be in that position again.

46 minutes ago, McFan said:

I tend to disagree w the premise of only having 2 “scorers” on the floor at the same time.  That’s how you end up chucking contested 3’s.  One Hanks on the floor is okay.  2 or 3 defense and rebound guys kills an offense.  Plus it’s terribly boring to watch.  

I love the idea of driving and dishing to open 3’s.  But if the guy driving isn’t a finisher, and the inside guys aren’t finishers, then the 2 scorers will still be covered no?  I need 3 scorers and one more that is at least a threat.  I’d like the 5th to be competent offensively unless he’s a stud on the defensive end.  Hanks May be good, but not a stud.

Agreed you have to have more than 1 or 2 kids on the court that are a threat otherwise you're hosed. Easy to defend.

• Like 1

I mean 1-2 bonafide scorers like Cam. You can't have 3 or even 4 Cams (not enough shots to go around and hard to recruit that due to those guys wanting to be option 1 or 2, not 3 or 4) . But you can't have 4 Hanks either. What I mean is 2 Cams + 1 end of freshmen year Malachi (someone who will get you 10 a game but can go for 15 or so if one or both Cams are guarded close). With 3 of those on the floor you'll be fine...defense wins championships, right? 

Edited by Eli

Given the recent commitments I'm guessing we have no shot of getting Holmes (he decides today ). That man would be a terrific get. 

Anyone else concerned that Brown is just not offering Freshman recruits? We offered basically none this year.  Maybe he is feeling the heat of his contract and needs to win now but I dont think you can consistantly build a program like this. (Unless your Iona!) .