UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

MLAX NCAA Semifinal vs Yale (Gillette Stadium)

Wow, sitting here in disbelief with the rest of the cars on  the train.

A couple of quick reactions, and I am always interested to watch the game after the fact and listen to what the commentators had to say.

Got outcoached or we tried to outsmart ourselves on defense. Everyone knows you don’t slide off of Gaudet and yet we did again and again. He is amazing finisher, but can’t beat anyone. Could have covered him with a short stick and then we face guarded him with a pole it looked like.

I think we are going to find out that Connor was hurt pretty bad after either the Harvard or Yale game. Such a competitor, but I bet that was the case. Dhuly didn’t look right and when a guy was in as much distress as he was against Denver hard to believe he was healthy enough to go today. Another tough break, but Filipowski should have played. 

I heard one talking head say this and you saw it today. I love our system but we got torched in transition when out two way guys were simply gassed and couldn’t get back.

I have no inside knowledge of this, but just my perception from being close but not to close, but the integration of Tehoka IMO wasn’t as seemless as it may have appeared. I think how that is managed going forward will be interesting to watch.

I never understood the absence of Zellen, John, and a few other guys who should have been on the field  more this year.

A very good season but in a loss like this everyone has to self reflect. I love our happy go lucky attitude to a point, but not to the degree it comes across at times. In some areas we need to tighten up. I do think the loss exposed a few things and hopefully they are addressed and we come back even stronger next year.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

Tehoka and Patterson are a nice young core to build around next year. We need to find that 3rd and 4th option on offense. I think the key is th defense. From what 8 have seen Marr has some nice D recruits coming in. That needs to be the focus during offseason. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I should have had a beer at the tailgate.

Feel terrible for JD. Our section was calling for the pull earlier. We had great views of the shots and he just wasn’t reacting at all other than falling down.

Gotta step up in big games he went backwards

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

We have one guy who has made bad slide/help decisions all year. Need to make a change.

yep

The Duke and Maryland fans filing in now. A lot of us in purple still dazed and confused.

You are right still a lot of offensive talent coming back, but how it is put together will be important. I am not sure I see a natural initiator on offense. I thought Tehoka would have been a bit more dynamic of a dodger in college. Unless he transforms his body I don’t see him as the offensive quarterback. It could be Diamond, but I like Jacob more in a finishing role.

The defense has to get better, but I think it is the system or maybe guys were blowing assignments. I don’t know which it was,  but what I saw today was what I though might happen against Denver. The way we play defense gives an offense too many looks and if they are shooting well and/or our goalie isn’t making saves it can get really ugly.

When the dust settles I hope to learn more about what the deal was.

16 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Wow, sitting here in disbelief with the rest of the cars on  the train.

A couple of quick reactions, and I am always interested to watch the game after the fact and listen to what the commentators had to say.

Got outcoached or we tried to outsmart ourselves on defense. Everyone knows you don’t slide off of Gaudet and yet we did again and again. He is amazing finisher, but can’t beat anyone. Could have covered him with a short stick and then we face guarded him with a pole it looked like.

I think we are going to find out that Connor was hurt pretty bad after either the Harvard or Yale game. Such a competitor, but I bet that was the case. Dhuly didn’t look right and when a guy was in as much distress as he was against Denver hard to believe he was healthy enough to go today. Another tough break, but Filipowski should have played. 

I heard one talking head say this and you saw it today. I love our system but we got torched in transition when out two way guys were simply gassed and couldn’t get back.

I have no inside knowledge of this, but just my perception from being close but not to close, but the integration of Tehoka IMO wasn’t as seemless as it may have appeared. I think how that is managed going forward will be interesting to watch.

I never understood the absence of Zellen, John, and a few other guys who should have been on the field  more this year.

A very good season but in a loss like this everyone has to self reflect. I love our happy go lucky attitude to a point, but not to the degree it comes across at times. In some areas we need to tighten up. I do think the loss exposed a few things and hopefully they are addressed and we come back even stronger next year.

I agree, the Freshman Burgmaster hurt us many times in there - got beat a LOT this year.   Sorry but a couple of Srs should not have been in there or at LEAST should not have played as much as they did.  We NEED to get better on Defense - new coach???  with new philosophy or better strategies.   When are we going to start recruiting big strong FAST guys?  I understand we are blue collar but anybody can see the difference in  that.  Those top HS player do make a difference from that standpoint if nothing else.  When teams get really aggressive we can't seem to compete.

Any idea on how many FO TD ended up with?  Off turned the ball over at LEASt 7 or 8 times I bet.

17 minutes ago, GreatDanes06 said:

Tehoka and Patterson are a nice young core to build around next year. We need to find that 3rd and 4th option on offense. I think the key is th defense. From what 8 have seen Marr has some nice D recruits coming in. That needs to be the focus during offseason. 

They both turn the ball over 2 - 4 times per game - not good.  Only a couple of D recruits that are big - not sure on foot speed or strength though, except for the kid from Oregon. He is Huge and fast.  Can't find film on Hay, Same with Middies - we NEED to get bigger and stronger.

10 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

The Duke and Maryland fans filing in now. A lot of us in purple still dazed and confused.

You are right still a lot of offensive talent coming back, but how it is put together will be important. I am not sure I see a natural initiator on offense. I thought Tehoka would have been a bit more dynamic of a dodger in college. Unless he transforms his body I don’t see him as the offensive quarterback. It could be Diamond, but I like Jacob more in a finishing role.

The defense has to get better, but I think it is the system or maybe guys were blowing assignments. I don’t know which it was,  but what I saw today was what I though might happen against Denver. The way we play defense gives an offense too many looks and if they are shooting well and/or our goalie isn’t making saves it can get really ugly.

When the dust settles I hope to learn more about what the deal was.

Looked like blowing assignments a lot and NOT sliding quickly.  Left a lot of guys wide open because of this. 

I went NCAA live stats and counted faceoff wins  TD 18 - Yale 15.  Gonna drop TD below 80% to .79249.......

TD Ierlan set new NCAA single season records this year, finishing with 359 faceoff wins and 254 ground balls.

Edited by HOF2013

2 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

They both turn the ball over 2 - 4 times per game - not good.  Only a couple of D recruits that are big - not sure on foot speed or strength though, except for the kid from Oregon. He is Huge and fast.  Can't find film on Hay, Same with Middies - we NEED to get bigger and stronger.

I’ve seen Hay play a lot in high school. If I had to compare him to some one on the current team I would say he is a more athletic version of AJ. Kluck and could play low or LSM. A definite candidate to see the field next year if the coaches are not locked into playing upperclassmen.

I think the kid from Oregon is more of a project. He got beat a lot last summer but has all the tools if he is coached up. A definite ACC body.

At least last summer the Avon kid was the best pole on the field of the 17’s and 18’s. It wasn’t even close and the next best I thought was another big kid who I want to say will be a senior in high school this upcoming year, but if I recall might have been getting some high level football interest.

My one question is the two way system. When you can blow out a team it is great, but Kyle, Jack, and Alex were asked to do a lot, too much IMO. I suspect that impacted the team defense.