UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2018 Pre-season: Expectations, Predictions, and articles

A few thoughts as we get closer to the first game

1. This will be the most talent the schools ever had

2. IMO, the biggest unknown is the offensive line.  They struggled last year so I’m optimistic that some of the new players will be able to contribute right away - Benson, Desir, Culnan...   I think there’s enough talent everywhere else to have a very good season - just a lot of uncertainty here

3. Excited about Coach Joe Davis.  I don’t know much about him except that he’s had success as an OC at two precious stops but he has a lot of talent and I’m optimistic that he can get the offense moving in the right direction

4. This team has the talent and schedule to win at least 7 games.  Not sure if that’s enough for the playoffs but we’ll see

5.  On a different note, I don’t get all the excitement around UNH.  They’ve had an excellent run but they have a very difficult schedule - I can see them losing at least 5 games.

• Thanks 1

I think we also need to take into account that this game is the first one for UA football against a legit big time FBS school. Although their fans would hate to admit it, UB is a lot closer to CAA and MVC level than they are against SEC, Big10, ACC level. Apparently under their current coach Pitt is known to come out of the gate slow in their opening game against lower level competition. That works in our favor, but little else does. I don’t expect a win, but throwing a little scare into them wouldn’t hurt. They hung with ODU for a while last year, but eventually size and speed wore them down. I can’t believe we are only four days away!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I think we also need to take into account that this game is the first one for UA football against a legit big time FBS school. Although their fans would hate to admit it, UB is a lot closer to CAA and MVC level than they are against SEC, Big10, ACC level. Apparently under their current coach Pitt is known to come out of the gate slow in their opening game against lower level competition. That works in our favor, but little else does. I don’t expect a win, but throwing a little scare into them wouldn’t hurt. They hung with ODU for a while last year, but eventually size and speed wore them down. I can’t believe we are only four days away!

tenor.gif?itemid=5878976

• Thanks 1

Reminder, the meet & greet and season ticket pickup is tonight at 5:30-7 at City Line.

Gattuso will be on Wyland on 104.5 tomorrow at 11:30

I’ll be happy if we don’t get torched more than once on kicks and long plays, gain 300 yds on offense, and keep the spread under 20. Winning the turnover battle would be nice.

OK, I’ll take three out of those four.

i also don’t get all the love Stony Brook gets, considering they needed OT to beat us last year at their place.

Biggest Great Danes plan to hold their line, UAlbany's offensive line hopes experience, size pays off in 2018

or maybe this link from Singelais' twitter feed https://m.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-13188263.php?utm_campaign=twitter-mobile&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

Clancy, a redshirt junior, expects better results this season with the Great Danes getting ready for their opener at Pittsburgh on Saturday. "I think we're ready to go,'' Clancy said. "We've really put it on ourselves that we can be the leaders of this team. We can do this."

Gattuso and Sweeney, of course, say they're confident in the O-line

Edited by UAalum72

9 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

Biggest Great Danes plan to hold their line, UAlbany's offensive line hopes experience, size pays off in 2018

or maybe this link from Singelais' twitter feed https://m.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-football-13188263.php?utm_campaign=twitter-mobile&utm_source=CMS Sharing Button&utm_medium=social

Clancy, a redshirt junior, expects better results this season with the Great Danes getting ready for their opener at Pittsburgh on Saturday. "I think we're ready to go,'' Clancy said. "We've really put it on ourselves that we can be the leaders of this team. We can do this."

Gattuso and Sweeney, of course, say they're confident in the O-line

Good reads, Gatusso said that Culnan was starting at center [misspoke??? or will they all get a lot of time??]

38 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

The story says " He feels he has seven or eight linemen who can play right now, including reserve center Niko Culnan, " so probably a lot of  substitutions

Yes but last night at the meet and greet he said he was starting at center when he was talking about local guys!!!  That's why I said "Misspoke???

Edited by HOF2013

So Who is on the starting line - does it include at TE Stire?.  I have not seen starters on Offense or Defense.  Would be nice if they published that for fans.

32 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

So Who is on the starting line - does it include at TE Stire?.  I have not seen starters on Offense or Defense.  Would be nice if they published that for fans.

Wouldn't it be based upon the depth chart posted in the game notes?  I assumed the number one guy listed is the starter.

Hadn't seen it - wasn't aware they might be there.  Wonder where Stire is - he is still on the roster so must be learning or hurt!!   We match up fine.  Their line is 300 lbs across. the board but the D Line is about the same size as ours.  Several of our O line are 300 lbs too.  A couple of their WR are bigger.  TE are pretty close.  Def secondary is about the same, ours may be a touch smaller - mostly backups.  Our LB's are as big as theirs,  Their RB are bigger, but we know how good ours are and how QUICK they are.

Edited by HOF2013

Is everyone as excited as I am.  New season, new Offensive Coordinator, new offense, new QB, New WR and Slot,  new TEs, new LB's,  New D lineman,.  VERY confident team.  We'll see I guess!!!!

Announcement of "The Field Club" in the south end zone, $30 for the  privilege of standing behind the end zone to watch the game, includes two beers. Three 30-person suites for parties or functions, in which children are permitted.

http://www.ualbanysports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?ATCLID=211672828&DB_OEM_ID=15800

I suppose this increases the capacity of Casey Stadium. I'm not sure how many people would want to watch from ground level except when the team's in the red zone on that end of the field. I wouldn't call it "the best view in the house" like the announcement does. They're pitching it to "Young alumni" and "Young professionals" so that leaves me out anyway.