UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Fall Ball - Men's Lacrosse

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

The Lacrosse schedule per the above link, list the Headstrong Classic and times. Does NOT list the alumni game or Hill scrimmage. May be because they are "less official."  Anyone know for sure they are still on 10/6 @ 4pm and 10/9 @ 8pm??

Alumni game is tomorrow at 4pm. The Hill game was moved to the 8th. I think that one starts around 8pm.

2 hours ago, dslyank said:

See slide #15 on  "15 Things We're Watching in Fallball 2018" on Inside Lacrosse. 

This is going to be Coach Marr’s biggest coaching challenge in recent history. It came out today that Tehoka is not playing this fall, but will be back in the spring.

i guess the positive of that is someone who needs to step up this spring will be getting a lot of reps this fall.

i have a lot if confidence from what I am hearing about the defense and goalie play but a lot of things, personnel, and packages to work through on offense. Lots of pieces, but not sure how they will be put together.

Big fall for the coaches and team.

7 hours ago, Capital District Lax said:

That was a good showing from the current and former Danes. I also saw some of the recent defensive guys playing, and it was awesome to catch up with Liam Gleason.

First game with the shot clock. There was definitely less standing around, and while it didn’t feel rushed the offense couldn’t mess around either. What stood out to me and a few others is how the shot clock may not suit the superstar who needs the ball in his stick a lot like we have had in the past. Not that any of us wouldn’t love to have one back, but this was easily the best ball movement I have seen in the last five years or so and this also looks like the most athletic team Coach Marr has fielded.

Patterson looked really comfortable carrying the ball and will be an All American. Diamond also starred at attack with Cavallo who looked good. Just shows you how much depth we had last year that he didn’t play more.

Overall the FOGO’s looked good but hard to really say until we see them play next week, but Altamari’s stick was very good, and looked dangerous in transition. I think Jones took the first draw so don’t know if that means he is number one or not.

Gleason at LSM was tremendous and there are some athletes and overall more size on defense. Next week will be a much better gauge, but I liked what I saw and I don’t think there will be much of a drop off from last year if any.

11 hours ago, Capital District Lax said:

So article states Nanticoke is not participating due to personal reasons.  Do we know if he is even enrolled in classes this Fall? Is he home dealing with a family issue?  Is academics an issue? Says he SHOULD be back in Spring but does not sound like an absolute guarantee.   Kinda reminds me of Seth Oakes and he did not come back.  Any ideas?

Observation/Thoughts from alumni scrimmage {getting a perspective from a game like this is hard to judge and perhaps meaningless, but I can tell you both sides seemed to be playing hard and serious.} So here are my observations/thoughts which may be meaningless in their own right, but here it goes:

Offensively,  UA seemed small in size and stature. That being said, they just might be the quickest we ever had. Like fan2018, I was impressed with Cavallo (Yorktown soph.); and #9 a freshman who I assumed might/probabalby is McComber, was the quickest attack on the field yesterday. Perhaps it was just the result of the new shot clock, but this could be the quickest group on attack UA has ever had? Patterson was a man on a mission and again seconding fan2018, is looking All American. (I was surprised when he passed up FILA to work on his own, but this may have been the right decision for him--he looked awesome.) I do hope Tehoka comes back, because we ARE going to need some bulk upfront. The one other big upfront might be Kyle Casey (also Yorktown soph.) who seems to have really bulked up. In fact he looked like he may have added +30lbs since last year. Yesterday he played a lot behind the net as a feeder and I did hear the coaches complement his "looks" a couple of times. But his passes need to be more accurate and even though he did nail one goal that I recall, his shot though fierce were mostly high or wide yesterday.

Face-offs looked good and both had a goal. One strategy that I found interesting was Altimari on a number of occasions would pass the ball out to one of the wings who seemed to be hanging back from the scrum. I do not know if this is something new that UA is working on, or if I just imagined it???

Siekierski looked BAD in goal, but he was going up against some of the best offensive players to ever where a UA uniform (Bennet Drake old #88 though HUGE, can still bring it; hit on 3 out of 4 shots or something like that.) Yoquinto looked much better in the gage yesterday.

Defensively, I did not see much? Final score 19-14/15 or something such. I am not a good observer of defense and will rely on others to speak on it if they wish. But one thing I did notice: both defensives used long sticks on attack A LOT. Again, I do not know if this is a shot clock strategy, but long sticks were sprinting up the field all day. Near the end of the game, #43 a freshman long stick (unidentified) took the ball out and sprinted the length of the field, hit Casey with a perfect pass, who than blistered a shot over & wide of the goal. {speaking of speed, I never seen a long stick with speed like #43--he could be FUN to watch if not just an alumni game aberration} .

A lot of middies played. Ramirez, Schwab, Conlon  and other sophs who saw little action last year got some real minutes yesterday. Could be VERY deep here and with increased game speed of the shot clock, could be a real advantage if this pans out?? Inside Lacrosse is showing midfield depth as a question mark when reviewing many of its "elite" teams.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

Really good recap.

With the shot clock I think the value of big attackmen is somewhat diminished. Small and slow is a bad combination, but I think there is going to be a premium on ball movement and big middies which is probably where we are more deficient. Tehoka or anyone else just backing people down and keeping the ball in one person's stick is going to be a lot less important because of the time factor. With him out for the fall the big question when he comes back is how does he mesh back into the new look offense.

#43 is Tanner Hay and he is very skilled with passing and carrying the ball.

The starting rotation of Dhluy, Flip, and Perla played very little together as a group. It looked like they worked in one of the other freshmen #31 a lot down low, and #39 who I was told is a senior transfer in, but I didn't catch his name or where he played before.

I don't know who #25 was at middie, but he was very quick. You are right a lot of guys at middie who haven't had the opportunity to play much. A lot, lot of potential there. I am still amazed that Ron John hasn't played more in the past, but he could be poised for a breakout season.

Wanted to add that in no way do I think we are a better team without Tehoka, but that in a shot clock world, the ball sitting in your star's stick for long periods of time isn't going to be effective, and in recent years when we had that sort of player that happened quite a bit. It's one of the reasons I thought why despite being a prolific offensive team we underperformed a bit on man-up opportunities. The ball really moved well yesterday, but the real test to see where things stand will be next week against Hopkins and Army.

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

On 10/5/2018 at 12:29 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

This is going to be Coach Marr’s biggest coaching challenge in recent history. It came out today that Tehoka is not playing this fall, but will be back in the spring.

i guess the positive of that is someone who needs to step up this spring will be getting a lot of reps this fall.

i have a lot if confidence from what I am hearing about the defense and goalie play but a lot of things, personnel, and packages to work through on offense. Lots of pieces, but not sure how they will be put together.

Big fall for the coaches and team.

https://dailygazette.com/article/2018/10/05/marr-nanticoke-not-with-ualbany-men-s-lacrosse-for-fall

Did anyone notice/see Mitch Laffin at the scrimmage?  He wore #7 last year. I did not see a #7 on the field at all, nor even on the bench. Unless I just missed it; he either has a new # or is another mia?? Will keep an eye out tomorrow vs Hill Academy, unless someone knows more?

On 10/5/2018 at 1:43 PM, dslyank said:

Lax Power Backup mentioned that Tehoka was mia this fall. I hope it is not serious and he does return in the spring. Thanks for the update on the Hill scrimmage!

Looks like the Hill scrimmage has been moved again. Sounds like if it happens it will be Wednesday. If I hear anything for certain I will update the time and place.

2 hours ago, uofalbany said:

What?  Have a link to what you read?

Not sure how to link it;  but click on Lax Power Backup Stick- "Spring Sports Links" above. Then click on 2019 DI/D1 MENS LACROSSE and then ALBANY 2019, and you can read the postings. There are only 5 or 6 posts.

• Like 1