UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Football, athletics resources (moved)

dslyank

11 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Realistically speaking I'm not sure how many actually have this pipe dream at all. Let's find some success at this level for a while... We are a long ways off. 

Agreed this topic belongs somewhere else. When I stated this thread, I did say it really belonged in football and I did repost it there also. I am not sure why it got so extended here, even though it really does apply to all UA sports. Wish it could be moved and that we could get back to LACROSSE here; but would also like to remind that my post was not about moving up. It was about moving back "DOWN" to the NE conference in football and reallocating the resources.  

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 10:29 AM, dslyank said:

Nothing has changed per se.  But neither the community, nor the student body support UA athletics to the extent that the appropriate facilities are consistently near or at capacity {except possibly lacrosse, where gold seats at least are always sold out or nearly so.}  We STILL have a Title IX penalty hanging over our heads. So what I am saying, is UA needs to take a serious look at how they allocate resources to which sports and do a cost/benefit analysis. I certainly have no power to instigate such an activity; but at some point the Title IX issue is going to rear its ugly head. I expect/hope such a review is already going on and wish it would be more open. The community (us on this blog particularly but not exclusively), students, and local businesses and politicians should all have input. Instead everything seems to occur behind closed doors with little or no communications. Not a good policy if you are trying to increase attendances and DONATIONS.

As for the particular issue I brought up about leaving the caa; while I agree with you 100% we probably DO need a new coach; I still do not see how the caa has advanced attendance, donations, or University perception. While many have made some valid points that leaving the caa would not save us anything, I would like/hope the powers to be and those really in the KNOW would include this in a cost/benefit/resource allocation analysis. 

Is there any word out there about legit plans for resolving the Title IX stuff?

Returning to the Northeast Conference is neither viable or acceptable answer for UAlbany because we have an opportunity to turn the situation around.  Tough choices must be made. Maine, New Hampshire and Stony Brook are America East and CAA Football members. We need to take the good with the bad.

Edited by cwdickens
Missed something
  • Like 1

Speaking of Adding insult to injury. I think the following is an absolute disgrace. Hosting a NATIONAL Lacrosse Tournament and Charity Event and NOT putting your best foot forward:

from UAlbanySports.com: 

ALBANY, N.Y. – The University at Albany men’s lacrosse program will be hosting the HEADstrong Foundation’s Nick Colleluori Men’s Lacrosse Albany Classic on Saturday, Oct. 13, on the grass fields adjacent to Tom & Mary Casey Stadium.

"In addition to the Great Danes, the four-team tournament includes Johns Hopkins, Vermont and Army. UAlbany will face Johns Hopkins at 11 a.m. and Army at 1 p.m. In other games, Army faces Vermont at 11 a.m., and John Hopkins faces Vermont at 1 p.m.

In lieu of admission, a suggested donation of $5 to the HEADstrong Foundation will be requested at the gate. Parking is available in the Dutch Lot for $10."

This seems to say that neither Casey (Bob Ford Field) nor Fallon Fields will be used. I think if true, it puts UA in a BAD light in our first time HOSTING a "HeadStong Tournament." I know there is a "minor league" football game @ Casey @7pm. There is plenty of time after the lacrosse tournament to get Casey ready for foosb@ll. I am not sure where Fallon is with rehab and do not know if it is playable; but THERE IS NO EXCUSE not to use Bob Ford Field for lacrosse tournament & CHARITY EVENT.

Add me firmly behind BENSON MUST GO!

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Besides being disgraceful and bush league; I am wondering how are you going to protect fans from flying lacrosse balls. You are encouraging people to attend and CONTRIBUTE to this charity event?? are you not?? Do you think practice fields in the shadow of Casey stadium are a good incentive for teams like John Hopkins Institute and The United States Military Academy at West Point, to come to Albany for a regular season game or even for another charitable event? 

Considering the teams and talent in this tournament, I am sure "Inside Lacrosse" and other national media outlets will be present. What a great presentation UAlbany is putting on to the lacrosse world and the HeadStrong foundation.

Feel free to share my concerns with other members of the Athletic Department and Dr. Havidan if you are so inclined.

Above is the second email I sent to Peter Iorizzo

[Assistant Athletic Director for Media Relations (Football, Golf, Men's Lacrosse)].

The first email was basically a reprint of my post above, less the "firing part." Whether you are a lacrosse fan or NOT,  or even a sports fan or not {I assume if you read this blog, you are at least a sports fan}; should be incensed by this POOR showing and embarrassing action at the University at Albany.

• Thanks 1

I believe the communication between the dedicated  fan base has gone awray.  Plenty of announcements of upcoming events however caring about the dedicated fan has gone south.  Feely, feely times are on hold.  Whether it's someone from Sports Administration or Sports Development, you feel that you are $ sign.

Fall Ball Lacrosse:  Sounds like a cool idea.  Throw back event.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have stayed largely out of the major complaint about football but my two cents are this : 

I donated money to a university for atheltics. Because of that I feel that as long as I dont threaten harm to a coach I can say reasonably whatever  I want.  The coach flat out sucks. The team and worse then I was 5 years ago. That's the major problem. And a flat out fact.  I believe message boards are made for these types of discussions.  Once the season is over and only til it's over I'll call out certain people on this board who told me I was wrong. (Week 1 when I said the team had major issues)

Bottom line people should be able to say what they want regarding the atheltic programs because they support the program. 

Edited by UA1882
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

I have stayed largely out of the major complaint about football but my two cents are this : 

I donated money to a university for atheltics. Because of that I feel that as long as I dont threaten harm to a coach I can say reasonably whatever  I want.  The coach flat out sucks. The team and worse then I was 5 years ago. That's the major problem. And a flat out fact.  I believe message boards are made for these types of discussions.  Once the season is over and only til it's over I'll call out certain people on this board who told me I was wrong. (Week 1 when I said the team had major issues)

Bottom line people should be able to say what they want regarding the atheltic programs because they support the program. 

Boggles the mind that we have coaches who are pros, making close to a half a mill a year and we have people like HOF bitching that fans are to tough on these coaches as if people just LOVE being negative and have an axe to grind with Gattuso. The guy is a freaking PROVEN loser and yet he's butt-hurt that people are to rough on him. 

You know how you shut critics up? Win!!! That's it, win! Do your talking on the field and when you are losing and losing A LOT take your medicine from folks who are supporting this program financially, butts in seats, donations etc. Program has been run into the ground and we are told to stay positive, don't attack, don't be mean...let's all sit arond the fire and sing kumbaya about this being the greatest 2 win team in the history of the program. 

So freaking tired of listening to his and HOF's excuses. Like you, I questioned that extension last summer only to be told to STFU, everything is great. I will continue to press for changes that will hasten UA's ability to field a competitive CAA program. This abortion of a program as presently constituted isn't enough; it's not nearly good enough and if paying fans, many of whom support this program to the tune of thousands a year chose to voice their dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs, let them! Granted, it should be done in a way where the criticism is contained within the confines of D1 athletics and not family, loved ones, physical harm etc. I think the conversations questioning Gattuso and Benson have been completely above board. 

Don't want to be constantly called a freaking loser? Don't lose to the tune of 70%!!!!! Or pack your bags! 

Edited by Clickclack

50 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Boggles the mind that we have coaches who are pros, making close to a half a mill a year and we have people like HOF bitching that fans are to tough on these coaches as if people just LOVE being negative and have an axe to grind with Gattuso. The guy is a freaking PROVEN loser and yet he's butt-hurt that people are to rough on him. 

You know how you shut critics up? Win!!! That's it, win! Do your talking on the field and when you are losing and losing A LOT take your medicine from folks who are supporting this program financially, butts in seats, donations etc. Program has been run into the ground and we are told to stay positive, don't attack, don't be mean...let's all sit arond the fire and sing kumbaya about this being the greatest 2 win team in the history of the program. 

So freaking tired of listening to his and HOF's excuses. Like you, I questioned that extension last summer only to be told to STFU, everything is great. I will continue to press for changes that will hasten UA's ability to field a competitive CAA program. This abortion of a program as presently constituted isn't enough; it's not nearly good enough and if paying fans, many of whom support this program to the tune of thousands a year chose to voice their dissatisfaction with the current state of affairs, let them! Granted, it should be done in a way where the criticism is contained within the confines of D1 athletics and not family, loved ones, physical harm etc. I think the conversations questioning Gattuso and Benson have been completely above board. 

Don't want to be constantly called a freaking loser? Don't lose to the tune of 70%!!!!! Or pack your bags! 

I gave $18.44 to football with the message that unless there are changes are forthcoming, that I would be joining the group boycotting.  I still don't feel good about it but could see no other way to communicate the message.

Edited by kikuria
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, kikuria said:

I gave $18.44 to football with the message that unless there are changes are forthcoming, that I would be joining the group boycotting.  I still don't feel good about it but could see no other way to communicate the message.

I've had two email exchanges with Benson that were quite frank, with records, stats etc. His mantra is to be patient, tough conference etc. Clueless....at this point he is very complicit in the destruction of UA Football. All this man needed to do was the prudent thing, wait to see if Gattuso can prove himself as someone capable of winning or could have offered a short extension. What did he do...max out Gattuso to a 5 year contract. Absolutely idiotic unless he's given himself and out clause in that contract. We'll have to see a few weeks if he did or didn't. 

Edited by Clickclack

13 hours ago, UA'08 said:

On the FCS football topic, I live right in the heart of LI and apparently SBU has a top 15 team eh? News to me and to probably 99.7% of the others in LI and NYC.

How true.  I lived 10 minutes from SBU till retiring to NC last year and Newsday isn't much better than the TU in covering the SB football program.  You get a decent article in Sunday's sports section covering their game on Saturday then nothing till the following Sunday.  I read Newsday on my phone every day still, and SB has a huge game against JMU Saturday and so far this week, crickets.