UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #18: 1/16/19 - 7:00PM @ UMass Lowell

Eli

44 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

This is a fair post, except for Lulka.  I do not think is he bad. I think he is young and learning. Sam Rowley stunk his freshman year. And I don't care about redshirt years. Different than playing games on the court. Definitely looks like some big misses on the recruiting trail at this point though. Only time will tell.  I just don't think Brown would say stuff like, "I think we are going to be REALLY good" if he thought his roster sucked. I know, what's he going to say? Well, not that they are going to be REALLY good. I would think he would say something like, we have to fight to get better with a young squad blah blah... 

I hope you’re right on Lulka.  I fear he’s getting numbers just based on minutes and nobody else down there.  

Time will tell.

Looked through archives... The only team that comes close to how bad this team is on defense was a team that won 7 games in 2003 and they were better then this. 

Whatever brown is doing both coaching and recruiting isn't working. This is an abomination that will take a few years to rebuild. 

Very upsetting... There isn't a quick fix here. 

19 minutes ago, Eli said:

I wouldn't run Rizzuto out. Kid is a true freshman who's only played like 5-6 games. And he missed a lot of time due to his injury. He should have been redshirted but Brown needed SOMEONE, ANYONE to help.

Rizzuto is seeing being the big dog scoring machine in high school in York PA is not the same here in the D1 level.  I'll be watching the game for 10 min and then I will see the number zero and realize "oh, he has been in there for the 10 min but name was never mentioned". He just never seems to get into the flow of the offense and provide some spark.   Just hope confidence is not shot.

1 minute ago, nysteve661 said:

Rizzuto is seeing being the big dog scoring machine in high school in York PA is not the same here in the D1 level.  I'll be watching the game for 10 min and then I will see the number zero and realize "oh, he has been in there for the 10 min but name was never mentioned". He just never seems to get into the flow of the offense and provide some spark.   Just hope confidence is not shot.

Guy took 2 shots... In 17 minutes. 

5 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Him being anointed as a starter once he was healthy never made much sense to me. 

Who else gonna play?

Btw several references made to how young uml team is... Not sure it's that true. According to kenpom... There most frequent linup features 2 srs and 1 junior... One sophmore who played a ton last year and one freshman. They aren't as young as people think. They rank 263 in experience to our 313.

It's true this team is stupid young. There has only been one younger team in Browns tenure 2011 team. 

Edited by Clickclack

Just now, Clickclack said:

Who else gonna play?

Btw several references made to how young uml team is... Not sure it's that true. According to kenpom... There most frequent linup features 2 srs and 1 junior... One sophmore who played a ton last year and one freshman. They aren't as young as people think. They rank 263 in experience to our 313.

It's true this team is stupid young. There has only been one younger team in Browns tenure. 2011 team. 

If you were looking to win games, I would have went with Miller who had the D1 experience. He didn’t look great, but was also only getting maybe 5-6 min a game if that. Hard to get into any flow with that. If you’re looking at long run then I guess you let him play.

I'm at a loss the morning after. You look at the defensive stats and it's beyond scary. How can this team even by accident not be a little better on D. Their offense isn't really their problem. They have zero chance against anyone in this league with historic lows on defense. In face it's so bad, it really points to an entire team that just quit trying on defense. We've never seen numbers this bad in Browns tenure. 

In every key metric they are dead last or close to it by huge margin. Albany's offense is good enough to be mid-pack. That's not the problem...

DbYw4AG.png

Edited by Clickclack

11 hours ago, Clickclack said:

Who else gonna play?

It's true this team is stupid young. There has only been one younger team in Browns tenure 2011 team. 

11 hours ago, Clickclack said:

BTW the only team that is even close to us in youth is Stony Brook but their top 3 kids are junior and two sophomores 2 of whom played a ton last year. 

The roster description above would've been us had Cremo and Nichols stayed. Would've started 3 seniors and then the kids. 

20 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

The roster description above would've been us had Cremo and Nichols stayed. Would've started 3 seniors and then the kids. 

You wouldn't be starting Rizzuto or Healey. Would have probably been Nichols, Clark and Cremo at the 3. Rizzuto and Healey would be getting 10+ minutes a game and allowed to come along in a traditional sense. Bench would be vastly improved. The balance of the roster would be much healthier. 

I really REALLY detest the strategy of JUCO recruiting. I wish we only had 1 or at most 2 JUCO kids on any roster to plug holes instead of expecting them to be significant contributors. Recruiting this way is a losing strategy. These kids take more then half their time in the program to adjust to D1. You look at what UVM and SBU are doing, neither builds this way. I wish Brown would go away from it...for every 1 decent JUCO kids another 5 or 6 are a waste. Then you get a roster of kids that either can't contribute ever OR you at best get 25-35%% of their time in the program where they are productive. If anyone leaves, I pray that Brown recruits a 4 year PG of the future to groom next year behind Clark as a top priority to go along with Hutchinson and Doherty. 

Core of the team if everyone stays (never guaranteed) would be Healey, Rizzuto, De Sousa, Lulka, Hans, Hutchinson, Doherty plus potentially a PG being groomed and now you have a makings of a nice core. As this core ages you bring in mostly more 4 year kids that can sit and learn for a year before stepping in and you develop a pipeline of talent that comes through the program. Throwing darts at a JUCO dart-board results in huge roster turnover usually for us. 

Right now, this roster consists of 8 what I would term inorganic recruits, those that were not brought in as freshman. Meaning either transfers in, JUCO's etc. Of those eight, only ONE (Clark) is productive. The remaining 7 are complete duds. 

You can look at past years, similar story plays out. When JUCO's have been productive is normally in their second or third year at UA. So why build a roster in a way where you get NOTHING out of the kid almost half of their time if not more in the program? You can go up and down the years and see this play out. Last year, Xavier Cohrain, Matt Conway, Cost Anderson, 2 of the 3 didn't even finish their careers here. Year prior to that, Lands, Grayson, Martin-Garcia...these 3 were her for a year and left, wasted scholarships. 

I don't get it...every year you are bringing in 3 or 4 kids you KNOW are gonna bolt so you just wasted 25% of the roster on nothing. 

Edited by Clickclack