UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

[MBB] Game #20: 1/23/19 - 7:00PM vs Stony Brook

Eli

So, um Malachi De Sousa. He might be pretty good.

We're a different team when Hank can stay on the floor and Rizzuto can score.

I honestly think Clark is in his own head a little much the last few games. As the frosh develop, he doesn't have to carry us offensively anymore and is struggling. He didn't seem to quite know a good shot from a bad shot. 

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, UA_MA_2000 said:

I'd sit Clark before Campbell. At least the latter can hold his own physically and not turn the ball over. I'm tired of dropped balls, errant play, and soft basketball. Everytime Clark has the ball in crunch time, I am on edge fearing a turnover. Why is that?

Totally agree with the shift in the game when Miller was benched and SB started clawing back.

I'm the same... I feel bad for the kid but maybe he needa to sit a little... Watch and realize this is a team game. I feel bad for him... He has to know he directly negated two wins. Now that I'm a bit more calm... Don't give up on him yet. 

Edited by Clickclack

17 minutes ago, UA_MA_2000 said:

I'd sit Clark before Campbell. At least the latter can hold his own physically and not turn the ball over. I'm tired of dropped balls, errant play, and soft basketball. Everytime Clark has the ball in crunch time, I am on edge fearing a turnover. Why is that?

Totally agree with the shift in the game when Miller was benched and SB started clawing back.

Campbell is there physically and mentally. Does everything correctly 95% of the time, but just isn’t good at putting that ball in the hoop.

I missed the game tonight due to a prior commitment but just finished watching the replay. I have to first say that I'm proud of how hard the team fought tonight.  I really felt and could see the hustle.  Tough loss though and just some bad plays they need to clean up.  I feel bad saying this because I had a chance to speak with him at a football game earlier this year and he was a very nice young man but I think Clark needs to get less time on the court.  Maybe just until he snaps out of this but he needs to sit.  How many times are we going to have to watch him wildly drive into multiple defenders? How many bad passes do we need to see? How many lazy passes or selfish ball hog plays are we going to have to watch?  How many more really poor decisions and wasted possessions? I'm sorry, I just can't take it anymore.  He has showed that he has the talent.  There needs to be a way for Brown and staff to reign him in and maybe it's losing minutes that will make him snap out of it.

I've said before and I'll say it again, FREE MALACHI DE SOUSA! I'm not sure there has been a Ualbany freshman that I wanted to be successful more than this young man. I know he can be REALLY good at this level. Tonight his defense was excellent. He drove to the basket a couple times, made a three, had some good rebounds (7 total) and played excellent defense by using his length with 2 blocks.   I really hope he has gained the trust of Coach Brown and will get more significant minutes (17 mins tonight) as the season rolls on.

Hanks with 6 offensive boards, 4 assists and just overall I think played his best game as a Dane tonight was nice to see.

Can't end this without talking about Rizzuto. He looked like a totally different player.  He was attacking the basket and taking confident three pointers.  So great to see him start to develop like he did tonight!

Refs I thought did a good job tonight except for three very big missed calls.  #1 - Allowing the continuation for the and one for SBU. #2 - 3 mins left, UA up 3, Rizzuto with a strong drive and got absolutely blasted to the floor with no call, Brown went nuts.  Instead of a chance to go up 5 with two free throws, SBU cut it to 1. #3 - Yeboah fell to the ground with the ball and they did not call a foul, instead called a jump ball and I think SBU made a 3. I hate bringing up the refs at all but those were three big mistakes they made.

OK, that got a little long.  Thanks for reading.  FREE MALACHI DE SOUSA!

Edited by DanesRGood

I truly agree with what everyone (Clack , UA08, MA, ELI, to name a few) , with regards to Clark, with the exception of BHGuy, I'm pretty sure he is on quaaludes. Haha. 

But let me remind you guys, Clark is part of the future here. He has played minutes in 20 games. We r going nowhere this year,  but maybe next year. Like Eli said we are getting better. 

We dont bring in any guards next year. We need him. Other guys on this team leave next year. We need to get the guys that will be around playing time. Sitting Clark or even reducing his role hurts us next year. AND THE FUTURE is what counts. 

Edited by UA1882

Not the first time I have read gory end of game stats.  Last night they were one for last 7, 0 for 5 at end and no scoring in last 3:42.  Seems to be an issue at the end of many games, chance to win but offense tightens up and one clutch shot by opposition is all they need to win.  I know it helps to have a go to player and Clark was with the reverse in regulation but then he wasn't in OT.  Healy has the capability with his shooting stroke but in crunch time he is so well covered and forces it.  Sure CB wishes he knew why this team gets so out of sync in crunch time but I guess it comes down to your point guard.  Is he not running the play called? Communication?  I don't see him talking much out there, directing traffic.  

More than almost any team sport, basketball at the college level is a mental game for every player on the court. I'm not talking brains, I'm talking confidence. If you don't have it, and you second guess yourself. Bad things will happen. 

I really liked the play from Campbell yesterday. On the defensive end he was money. On the offensive end, he stayed in the system, made good passes, took good shots, and was mostly in the right spot at the right time. He has no confidence now though. You could almost hear him mentally questioning each shot. That double clutch and fake near the end was a prime example. If he was confident, he would have went up strong. He needs to find a way to get his MoJo back.

Clark had the opposite problem for much of the first part of the season. Overconfidence led to some poor shot selection and forcing the ball, but his immense talent allowed many of the shots to fall. These last few games he seems to have lost it. He had a spurt last night at the end of of regulation and overtime where he seemed to have it again then his mind took over. He got a defender in the air, didn't push through him with a shot to get the call, then passed up an open shot and had nowhere to go with the ball causing a turnover. Then another where he passed up a shot and did the cross court pass for a turnover.

DeSousa looked hesitant for most of his opportunities all year, but last night played with confidence, and it showed. The rest of the team did a much better job of attacking and penetrating. It was refreshing from what we have seen so far.

I don't know if the school has a sports psychologist on staff, but if not they need to get one, and if they do they need a new one. The problems, in my opinion, are all related to mindset. With the losing and the attitude of the fans on this board, I really hope the players stay away from the board. I hope the crazies aren't getting in their head.

I really think they are turning the corner now, and if they can somehow put together a few wins and make the AE playoffs, they will be dangerous. I could still see them winning the tournament come March and being in the PIG.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, UA1882 said:

I truly agree with what everyone (Clack , UA08, MA, ELI, to name a few) , with regards to Clark, with the exception of BHGuy, I'm pretty sure he is on quaaludes. Haha. 

But let me remind you guys, Clark is part of the future here. He has played minutes in 20 games. We r going nowhere this year,  but maybe next year. Like Eli said we are getting better. 

We dont bring in any guards next year. We need him. Other guys on this team leave next year. We need to get the guys that will be around playing time. Sitting Clark or even reducing his role hurts us next year. AND THE FUTURE is what counts. 

I'm not advocating for him to sit forever.  I just think his minutes should be reduced until he can learn to stop everything that frustrates all of us and I'm sure frustrates the coaches and the team.  He needs to play better team ball, not try to do it all himself, when driving to the hoop against 2-3 defenders find the open man, there has to be one or two, stop with lazy or bad passes wasting possessions.  If he can stop those things he will be excellent.  He wasn't doing those things as much early in the season. 

Edited by DanesRGood

We were an inch from the turning point. I'm not frustrated because our goal is to get shaped up for the AE playoffs and I am confident that we will make the final 8.

Hank, Rizzutto, and de Sousa earned high marks. Healy demeanor shows determination with hard nose defense. CB made some great moves. He kept de Sousa in and wow we saw some flashes. De Sousa can be a monster on defense as well.

When Hank is on the floor we are different. He patrols the rim area. Last night he got 6 offensive rebounds, which is so important with a 3 point shooting time.  Quite truthfully, he should keep Hank in regardless of fouls. 

Campbell was ok and helpful. Still, he  is awkward shooting.  

Clark is the guy that is confronted with a changing environment. Early on the freshman were timid (except Healy). Now with Rizzutto established and hopefully de Sousa coming of age, he needs to show leadership by using these guys. Stop the out of control drives into 7 footers.  

Young team. Close to the turning point where we win by a point. 

BTW, I am certain that the rest of the league took note that we are dangerous. 

All good.

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

Not the first time I have read gory end of game stats.  Last night they were one for last 7, 0 for 5 at end and no scoring in last 3:42.  Seems to be an issue at the end of many games, chance to win but offense tightens up and one clutch shot by opposition is all they need to win.  I know it helps to have a go to player and Clark was with the reverse in regulation but then he wasn't in OT.  Healy has the capability with his shooting stroke but in crunch time he is so well covered and forces it.  Sure CB wishes he knew why this team gets so out of sync in crunch time but I guess it comes down to your point guard.  Is he not running the play called? Communication?  I don't see him talking much out there, directing traffic.  

IMO the Clark layup was the wrong choice (in the end we still lost). I know we needed 2 to tie, but his acrobatic layup was about as high percentage as a wide open Rizzuto/Healey in the corner (don't remember who it was exactly). If it was Healey, even more so but Rizzuto was on. He had just as much chance of missing that as one of those guys. He went off to start the OT but then completely disappeared.

I told Clack yesterday...Clark is a SG, not a PG. He needs to stop being our primary ball hander. He has now turned it over or bobbled the ball in two straight games in crunch time resulting in a piss poor heave at the bucket.

13 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Campbell...took good shots

You must have missed all three of his 3pt clunkers (one was WAY off). :P 

54 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

I'm not advocating for him to sit forever.  I just think his minutes should be reduced until he can learn to stop everything that frustrates all of us and I'm sure frustrates the coaches and the team.  He needs to play better team ball, not try to do it all himself, when driving to the hoop against 2-3 defenders find the open man, there has to be one or two, stop with lazy or bad passes wasting possessions.  If he can stop those things he will be excellent.  He wasn't doing those things as much early in the season. 

The damn cross court passing needs to stop. It’s ridiculous 

4 hours ago, Eli said:

You must have missed all three of his 3pt clunkers (one was WAY off). :P 

I didn't mean his shots themselves were good. Obviously they were off the mark. I meant good shots as in good selection. Open looks.  I think its a confidence issue as he looked hesitant even though it was the right spot to shoot.

Edited by godanesgo99

Disappointing loss in that they were so close to pulling off an upset against one of the top two teams in the league. I have to keep reminding myself that they are starting 4 freshman/redshirt freshmen. Those players scored 80% of the points and collected around 65% of the rebounds. WB has to like what he sees for the near and far future. If they continue to progress, I think the second time through the AS could look a lot different. 

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Disappointing loss in that they were so close to pulling off an upset against one of the top two teams in the league. I have to keep reminding myself that they are starting 4 freshman/redshirt freshmen. Those players scored 80% of the points and collected around 65% of the rebounds. WB has to like what he sees for the near and far future. If they continue to progress, I think the second time through the AS could look a lot different. 

Last night was the first time I said to myself...this is what he's talking about when he says this team will be good and quickly...I know we lost back to back dagger games but it's clear that they are starting to put it together a bit. Doesn't mean there won't be any more bumps etc. but last night I walked out of there with great hope for the future...

• Like 2