Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

i am not ready to go there, but said early on this would be Marr's biggest coaching challenge in recent memory and so far not a passing grade IMO

No energy at ALL at start; and only brief spurts thereafter. Coach & Team Both seem uninterested. Seem to simply accept  they are missing something and everyone seems to be satisfied to I don't know WHAT--waiting to next year--?????????

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

is it time for something different on defense? Goalie play and face off play other than the Drexel game when Jones was out sick haven't been the issue. What was supposed to be an area of strength led

NO, U Albany Compliance made him sit out not the coach!

Plain and simple, we looked like a below average D1 team.

18 minutes ago, dslyank said:

No energy at ALL at start; and only brief spurts thereafter. Coach & Team Both seem uninterested. Seem to simply accept  they are missing something and everyone seems to be satisfied to I don't know WHAT--waiting to next year--?????????

I think Marr completely mismanaged the Tehoka situation and is making Tehoka bigger than the team. This is on the coaches. I just saw Marr's post game comments where he said the defense kept them in the game. Nate kept them in the game. I would agree that the offense is struggling but how could it not with the constant shuffle of players on the 6 v 6 and man up?

While some of the individual components on defense are doing well the team defense continues to be sub par, but Marr either doesn't focus on it or has his head in the sand.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

So, I'm no expert on this game.  I've been taught a lot over the past 6-7 years from a close friend who is a high school head coach in Westchester County. I have never seen so many point blank misses or saves in a game as I've seen today.  There were maybe 5-6 times guys were within 3-5 yards of the goal and missed. Then there were probably 4 pipes hit.  Those are huge missed opportunities. Just a really tough day all around.  Rough seeing the senior faceoff guy for UMass just own our sophomore so bad they switched to the long pole.

I wish I could say that this program would continue to be top 15-20 in the country but I don't think that's realistic.  There will be down years especially after losing so much from last year.  I was expecting a down year and still expecting it so I'm not too surprised by what is happening.  Hopefully with all this tinkering the coaches will find a rotation that works together well and is successful.  Plenty of time in the season and the whole conference slate still to play.  Work it out fellas!!!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Other than a porous defense, our biggest deficiencies were at the dot and man up. Man up was 0-5 and worse gave up a goal. There’s 6 right there. The point blank misses were odd, but the goalie was hot and he’s a big guy. Maybe they were nibbling at the edges a little too much? I thought Nanticoke played under control and had some nice passes,even though some failed to connect. A coup,e of times he should have been more selfish and forced an extra pass. At the end of one of the quarters he got blasted from behind right to the left of the goal and no foul was called. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, jimbo said:

Other than a porous defense, our biggest deficiencies were at the dot and man up. Man up was 0-5 and worse gave up a goal. There’s 6 right there. The point blank misses were odd, but the goalie was hot and he’s a big guy. Maybe they were nibbling at the edges a little too much? I thought Nanticoke played under control and had some nice passes,even though some failed to connect. A coup,e of times he should have been more selfish and forced an extra pass. At the end of one of the quarters he got blasted from behind right to the left of the goal and no foul was called. 

I thought the defense was porous as well, especially when it came down to hustle plays. Coach's comments about how well the defense is playing are confusing.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Marr blames himself for the "distraction."

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-lacrosse-falls-flat-in-home-opener-13665609.php

"Well, we got off to a slow start and never really got ourselves in the game emotionally or even physically,'' head coach Scott Marr said. "I just think we were pretty flat."

Afterward, Marr appeared emotional as he apologized to his players for "the distraction I created with my mouth" a day earlier.

On Monday, Marr criticized the NCAA over Nanticoke being deemed ineligible for Saturday's loss at Cornell. Nanticoke had to sit out the match because of an Instagram post in which he tagged a lacrosse string company, which broke a rule against a student-athlete promoting or endorsing a business.

On Monday, Marr said, "I don't think what (Nanticoke) did merits that kind of punishment ... I don't agree with the monopoly. It's just what they (the NCAA) do."

The NCAA reinstated Nanticoke early Monday evening. Then the governing body issued a strongly worded tweet directed at Marr on Tuesday.

"The Albany lacrosse coach made inaccurate statements,'' the NCAA tweeted. "Here are the facts. The NCAA did not suspend Tehoka Nanticoke. Albany proactively withheld him Saturday after finding a violation. The NCAA acted on Monday, the same day Albany reached out, and said he did not need to sit."

A UAlbany spokesman clarified that, in fact, it was the school's compliance department that determined Nanticoke had broken the NCAA rule and was ineligible because of it. Therefore, Nanticoke couldn't play until UAlbany was able to apply to the NCAA to have his eligibility reinstated.

"Just the way the rule is, it's a mandatory suspension right away,'' Marr said after Tuesday's game. "It doesn't matter if the NCAA did it or the school did it. It's all the same."

Marr said he heard from his administration about his earlier comments, including from athletic director Mark Benson.

Benson declined an interview request through the UAlbany spokesman, who said Marr wasn't facing any discipline at this time.

"I shouldn't have done it,'' Marr said. "The kids see it, they see it on Twitter, they see what's going on. It was a distraction for me because now I have to deal with my administration, my boss, the president. It's just not healthy for me and when I'm not on the game, it affects the team. And I wasn't on my game today."

However, Marr said he didn't feel he made "inaccurate statements."

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UAalum72 said:

Marr blames himself for the "distraction."

https://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/UAlbany-lacrosse-falls-flat-in-home-opener-13665609.php

"Well, we got off to a slow start and never really got ourselves in the game emotionally or even physically,'' head coach Scott Marr said. "I just think we were pretty flat."

Afterward, Marr appeared emotional as he apologized to his players for "the distraction I created with my mouth" a day earlier.

On Monday, Marr criticized the NCAA over Nanticoke being deemed ineligible for Saturday's loss at Cornell. Nanticoke had to sit out the match because of an Instagram post in which he tagged a lacrosse string company, which broke a rule against a student-athlete promoting or endorsing a business.

On Monday, Marr said, "I don't think what (Nanticoke) did merits that kind of punishment ... I don't agree with the monopoly. It's just what they (the NCAA) do."

The NCAA reinstated Nanticoke early Monday evening. Then the governing body issued a strongly worded tweet directed at Marr on Tuesday.

"The Albany lacrosse coach made inaccurate statements,'' the NCAA tweeted. "Here are the facts. The NCAA did not suspend Tehoka Nanticoke. Albany proactively withheld him Saturday after finding a violation. The NCAA acted on Monday, the same day Albany reached out, and said he did not need to sit."

A UAlbany spokesman clarified that, in fact, it was the school's compliance department that determined Nanticoke had broken the NCAA rule and was ineligible because of it. Therefore, Nanticoke couldn't play until UAlbany was able to apply to the NCAA to have his eligibility reinstated.

"Just the way the rule is, it's a mandatory suspension right away,'' Marr said after Tuesday's game. "It doesn't matter if the NCAA did it or the school did it. It's all the same."

Marr said he heard from his administration about his earlier comments, including from athletic director Mark Benson.

Benson declined an interview request through the UAlbany spokesman, who said Marr wasn't facing any discipline at this time.

"I shouldn't have done it,'' Marr said. "The kids see it, they see it on Twitter, they see what's going on. It was a distraction for me because now I have to deal with my administration, my boss, the president. It's just not healthy for me and when I'm not on the game, it affects the team. And I wasn't on my game today."

However, Marr said he didn't feel he made "inaccurate statements."

Exacty why I posted in the Tehoka thread if the NCAA had come out with anything which they didn’t. I knew something didn’t add up. I follow a few college athletes on Instagram and they do tag crap all the time in stories.

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Exacty why I posted in the Tehoka thread if the NCAA had come out with anything which they didn’t. I knew something didn’t add up. I follow a few college athletes on Instagram and they do tag crap all the time in stories.

So can we assume that Marr held him out vs Cornell not knowing if the NCAA would find that posting a violation, thus avoiding a possible forfeiture of a win if he played and they won?  Seems like that was the case.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, nysteve661 said:

So can we assume that Marr held him out vs Cornell not knowing if the NCAA would find that posting a violation, thus avoiding a possible forfeiture of a win if he played and they won?  Seems like that was the case.

NO, U Albany Compliance made him sit out not the coach!

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

That's the double edge sword of playing a few guys both ways the whole game. They just get worn out, and the team doesn't do the sort of conditioning to have certain guys play those kind of minutes. 

The team defense is just flat out bad, and from what I hear no changes on the horizon.

Perla is terrible and I thought it was Barrow the last couple of games.  He is NOT a long stick close defense player.  Burgmaster is also not a close def player [or a middie playing def].  Their feet are TOO SLOW!  Yesterday Perla got beat at least 4 times one on one for goals!  

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, DaneForLife said:

Marr put the athletic administration in a tough spot. Will there be any repercussions?

Compliance is a PC group that has gone overboard on this one .  I actually like a coach who is transparent and says what he thinks!!!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...