UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Benson's Contract

kikuria

2 minutes ago, Eli said:

Brown could never win another title and as long as he puts out .500% or better teams, he is a UA lifer. Guy has earned that. IMO. If he has 5 years of 10-13 win teams, that's a different story. But if he continues to have 18-20 win teams and doesn't win the title, I think he has a lifetime contract if he wants it.

He should!

Why is this even a discussion?  I'm amazed by it.  It seems several coaches may have problems with Benson.  I think he has been an almost total failure so far.  SEFCU needs to be upgraded asap.  It should be #1 priority with field house a close second.  Amazing we haven't heard a thing about it.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

Why is this even a discussion?  I'm amazed by it.  It seems several coaches may have problems with Benson.  I think he has been an almost total failure so far.  SEFCU needs to be upgraded asap.  It should be #1 priority with field house a close second.  Amazing we haven't heard a thing about it.  

Because his head is buried in mathematical formulas on how else to squeeze every last cent out of the paying public...depending no whom you ask, I've heard that the SEFCU renovation at this point in time is a political consideration and not a financial one (not sure how true). Meaning the funding is there but the school right now has other priorities. 

31 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Because his head is buried in mathematical formulas on how else to squeeze every last cent out of the paying public...depending no whom you ask, I've heard that the SEFCU renovation at this point in time is a political consideration and not a financial one (not sure how true). Meaning the funding is there but the school right now has other priorities. 

If accurate, then it seem that either: (1) Benson has lost/doesn't have the influence with the right people in order to make it a priority (particularly if the $$ are there); or (2) He's beloved by someone(s) because he's keeping Athletics from stealing the spotlight from other priorities (aka - he's complicit)  

4 hours ago, Clickclack said:

So there are public/State funds available to UA, but they would like to allocate it elsewhere besides athletics?

25 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

So there are public/State funds available to UA, but they would like to allocate it elsewhere besides athletics?

I don't know to what degree but just something was said to me in passing, money is important but not the biggest impediment right now is kind of how it was put. Which I interpreted as if there was a will there is a way forward....I believe the school leadership is a bit short on the will part. 

• Like 1

Well it would be nice if they did something sooner rather than later. I am a big believer in this core group of players. 5 Freshman who will become sophomores and 3 freshman (1 redshirt from this year plus 2 signees). How great would it be to have a renovation and upgrade completed for their senior year. I mean, UA will be a Buffaloesque top 25 team that year, coming off back to back dances, including a round of 32 trip the year before right?

• 19/20 - 2 Seed in AE tournament, 15 Seed in NCAA, exit in round of 64
  • 20/21 - 1 Seed in AE tournament, 13 Seed in NCAA, exit in round of 32
  • 21/22 - Top 25, New or Renovated arena, and a sweet 16 appearance. 

And then I woke up...

1 hour ago, Clickclack said:

I don't know to what degree but just something was said to me in passing, money is important but not the biggest impediment right now is kind of how it was put. Which I interpreted as if there was a will there is a way forward....I believe the school leadership is a bit short on the will part. 

I've been told something similar. But it was part of a broader discussion so I didn't want to over interpret it. 

18 minutes ago, kikuria said:

I've been told something similar. But it was part of a broader discussion so I didn't want to over interpret it. 

Don't forget at least $5mill of the Casey gift was specifically earmarked if memory serves for SEFCU...someone please correct me (and smack me) if I'm wrong. 

• Like 1

It's all speculation but I'll throw my two cents in. I'm not in the know, but some people who are say that we r actively negotiating with SEFCU. I'm not sure what that means (for old arena rights or a new one).

The fact that our atheltic department has said nothing leads me to believe we are several years out.  Normally the way it works is: A couple of big gifts,  then a proposal with several designs,  then fundraising (including how much state funds), then a bid process once determining which design.  That process takes years, especially for a state school. 

I'm surprised a local news outlet has not asked . The record seems to be good at things like that.  

29 minutes ago, UA1882 said:

It's all speculation but I'll throw my two cents in. I'm not in the know, but some people who are say that we r actively negotiating with SEFCU. I'm not sure what that means (for old arena rights or a new one).

The fact that our atheltic department has said nothing leads me to believe we are several years out.  Normally the way it works is: A couple of big gifts,  then a proposal with several designs,  then fundraising (including how much state funds), then a bid process once determining which design.  That process takes years, especially for a state school. 

I'm surprised a local news outlet has not asked . The record seems to be good at things like that.  

what if i told you the preliminary designs have been completed.  At least a year ago.

Edited by Dane96
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dane96 said:

what if i told you the preliminary designs have been completed.  At least a year ago.

I would say normally that goes public. Because everything needs to go public with a state school. Even the people who did the design . There needs to be bids.