Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Most of the accolades Benson gives himself are not really even "his". Most were done by or ushered by other people in the University for athletics. I think most people know that he is not a coach

I was a McElroy guy.  Fundraising was by far his biggest negative.  You have to ask people to give you money, that is sadly a big part of the job.  Dr. McElroy presided over the growth of the most suc

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

Again, does anyone have anything to add about Mark Benson and his employment performance? 

You ask as though you would like some sort of zinger. So just off the cuff - he should be investigated for lying to a federal agency in his capacity as Athletic Director during the OCR investigation of the department.  Therefore his performance as AD is lackluster at best. Criminal at worst. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, kikuria said:

Title IX numbers are out for last year.  Using the Office of Civil Rights method of counting, the school is 86 spots short.  I'm pretty sure that that was year 2 of 3 of the agreement with the OCR. Benson hasn't made a lick of progress let alone resolved the issue.   Upside - doesn't look like it's gotten worse.

This is something worth keeping an eye on...School and Benson are playing with fire here. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, kikuria said:

The entire thing? Or just the part about Benson lying to federal investigators?  Can't imagine that's something he'll be asked about when he's deposed, right?

Do you have proof. If not, I’d suggest not making statements. No saying you are wrong.  Just better have proof. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Dane96 said:

Do you have proof. If not, I’d suggest not making statements. No saying you are wrong.  Just better have proof. 

Perfectly reasonable question. I was shown a copy of an email thread that he had with a 3rd party (meaning not me.)  Which was a follow up to an in person meeting(s?) that he had. I'm told there is an audio recording of that meeting though I have NOT listened to it. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, uofalbany said:

Sounds like a load of $iena.

I was asked a question. I answered the question. Fortunately, it matters not what you or I or anyone else thinks of the question or answer. However, excrement it is not. Those email(s) exist. Unless you were specifically referring to the audio. In which case, I have already indicated that was not played for me (I assume the person didn't have it on them.)  

Here's what I'm hoping for - jury trial.  I thought about this long and hard.  My former preference was to have the school fix the problem and make it go away.  It's become more clear that the people involved are the problem and it can only be resolved with a change in leadership (or a come to religion moment).  A jury trial seems to be the only way that ALL of this stuff comes out.  

 

 

Edited by kikuria
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, godanesgo99 said:

Want to make real change on the title ix or on anything else? Speak with the larger corporate sponsors/partners that support the program. Their pressure would be the fastest way to make change. 

Want to make a real change? Don't allow anyone to make excuses for violating the law.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, kikuria said:

Want to make a real change? Don't allow anyone to make excuses for violating the law.  

I understand your outrage but I'd personally pump the breaks. Title IX is not STRICTLY scholarship counts, that's one aspect yes. But it really is a matter of equity of opportunity. In that regard, we don't know what has been agreed to as remediation to correct what was undoubtedly flagged as an unequal treatment of genders. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Clickclack said:

I understand your outrage but I'd personally pump the breaks. Title IX is not STRICTLY scholarship counts, that's one aspect yes. But it really is a matter of equity of opportunity. In that regard, we don't know what has been agreed to as remediation to correct what was undoubtedly flagged as an unequal treatment of genders. 

You're right, it is about equity of opportunity.  OCR already decided on this though. School was 97 roster spots short. This past year it was 86 slots short (which is more than last year ).  

I can't wrap my head around Benson lying though. It was unnecessary.

Quick note - We do know what was already agreed to.   They agreed to "substantial proportionality" within the agreed upon time frame.  OCR doesn't tell anyone how to get there.  Only that they have to.  

But the court/jury can order a specific remedy.  And that's what concerns me.  I'm a crew guy and think it's the right fit because of numbers. The club team had good success directly with D1 schools, huge alumni support in terms of $$, and has had a solid coach for years.  But that doesn't mean it's the only solution or even the best solution. That should be for the school to decide.  So if it's taken  out of the Department's hands - that's on Benson and no one else.  

Edited by kikuria
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, kikuria said:

You're right, it is about equity of opportunity.  OCR already decided on this though. School was 97 roster spots short. This past year it was 86 slots short (which is more than last year ).  

I can't wrap my head around Benson lying though. It was unnecessary.

Quick note - We do know what was already agreed to.   They agreed to "substantial proportionality" within the agreed upon time frame.  OCR doesn't tell anyone how to get there.  Only that they have to.  

But the court/jury can order a specific remedy.  And that's what concerns me.  I'm a crew guy and think it's the right fit because of numbers. The club team had good success directly with D1 schools and a solid coach.  But that doesn't mean it's the only solution or even the best solution. That should be for the school to decide.  So if it's taken  out of the Department's hands - that's on Benson and no one else.  

Listen, he's gonna either get this fixed or he won't and then he'll probably get fired. Tick tock goes the clock but I wonder how much your push for crew is clouding your vision or ability to be objective on this matter. If I can be so frank...You are referencing matters such as emails and voice recordings that no one has seen or at least isn't publicly available. If it were me I'd be careful but hey...let's see what happens. 

Edited by Clickclack
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Clickclack said:

Listen, he's gonna either get this fixed or he won't and then he'll probably get fired. Tick tock goes the clock but I wonder how much your push for crew is clouding your vision or ability to be objective on this matter. If I can be so frank...You are referencing matters such as emails and voice recordings that no one has seen or at least isn't publicly available. If it were me I'd be careful but hey...let's see what happens. 

I thought about that very question. It's part of the reason I stopped advocating for crew outside of it being the only sport that I know of that can hit the numbers needed (I think the current team is solid but that's more being a fan than anything else.) 

I came to this conclusion by looking at the issue differently. If my daughter was on the club team (she's not in college yet), and she said "Dad, they're offering to make the team varsity ...", I'd advise her against it so long as Benson was at the helm.

That was a tough pill to swallow given some of my previous posts. But that's where I'm at. 

Summary: I agree with you almost 100%

 

 

 

 
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...