UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

3 minutes ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Only newbie on defense was Kozar getting a few minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarter when he got pulled after giving up a gimmie goal in close.

Long poles on the wing other than Fillipowski had a rough day, and on face offs for some reason were both on our offensive side of the field a few times which game them fast breaks.

You are right about Kozar being the newbie. #29 [Kunz] also getting a lot of minutes of late on wing and some close D. He [kunz] seems a little tentative at times {especially last week against maryland.} Yesterday he seemed to struggle on the wing; but I think he had a big part on UA being 19-19 on clears yesterday.

4 hours ago, cwdickens said:

Staying close to home versus playing for North Carolina, Duke. Virginia or Maryland, perhaps an Ivy school, I believe student -athletes will take leaving the "island".  I believe there is an attraction playing in the ACC, Ivy or BIG-10 vs. the America East or the CAA.  I agree that Vermont is a dangerous team.  Question:  Does it not seem the talent level (overall) dropped off dramatically this year in the AE conference?

Absolutely has dropped off big time.  Just way too many down cycles for AE teams that are non competitive for a long period of time.  In early 2010's SBU gave us a good game every year.  Even had Hartford got lightening in a bottle one year and winning AE.  Just no consistency like we have enjoyed.  I think coaching has something to do with it.  We always have Marr.  Wasn't it 2 seasons ago 3 AE coaches were canned?  Hard to build a program that way.

4 hours ago, dslyank said:

You are right about Kozar being the newbie. #29 [Kunz] also getting a lot of minutes of late on wing and some close D. He [kunz] seems a little tentative at times {especially last week against maryland.} Yesterday he seemed to struggle on the wing; but I think he had a big part on UA being 19-19 on clears yesterday.

Kunz has been playing a lot and was splitting time with time in the 4 man close rotation, mostly with Filipowski. But with Filipowski now playing a lot of LSM as well, Kunz is staying on the field more.

6 hours ago, dslyank said:

Tried to watch the replay after I got home; but it was not up last night. So solely based on my live perspective, have to complain about a couple of things. Face-offs were terrible and a number of new players played wing yesterday (for the first time I think) and IMHO they were worse than the kids used before.The Burgmasters' (who have been @ wing sparingly this year) were the only wings who showed me anything yesterday. I also thought ground balls were terrible; felt worse than the 31-37 stats reported. Not only did the wings hardly get any; we gave up at least 2 EASY goals on ground balls that squirted out of scrums to wide open mass players.

2018 said we should have won 20-5, and I agree;  if we had done a better job on ground balls, mass would have scored less and UA more. Also, when mass made a run in the fourth, it was against some newbies on defense. However, I do not agree that mass is that bad a team. IMHO in a bad AmEast, they could finish 2nd or 3rd; partly because the league is just that bad and partly because I did not see mass yesterday being bad.

Reserve the right to change my opinions, if I am able to watch the replay later.

I just watched the replay and one thing I noticed, but didn't hear the announcers talk about and it looks like a pretty big change. To me it looks like the coaches are not running many two way middies anymore. The Burgmaster's still took some shifts both ways, but Ashton Bradley and Goldsmith were the two primary defensive middies. Ron John and Noah Taylor unless I missed it didn't take any deliberate defensive shifts as they would in the past. This probably has something to do with Tehoka playing a pure middie role now, but I like what I saw. It keeps our smaller, d middies fresher and I didn't see our d middies getting blow away.

Still need to change up the man down. I want to go back and look at the numbers, but I bet we are allowing close to 50% on man down opportunities. Watch how #4 doesn't close out on the last man down in the 4th quarter. SMH

Edited by AlbanyFan2018

10 hours ago, nysteve661 said:

We should keep winning till Yale.  Vermont is the only AE team that could beat us if we play like crap which unfortunately we have done this season at times.  Bing is horrid,  UMBC defense way overrated, Hartford just beat a bad SBU team.  SBU board wants Nagle fired like yesterday as they can not believe Long Island lax talent will not consider SBU for the cheap price and playing near friends and family.  Heard Hofstra has the same problem, no one stays home.  IL just did their top 25 high school teams and usual suspects from LI like Garden City, Ward Melville, St Anthony's are on it and list where the juniors and seniors are going and they are all going off the island.  

Vermont is terrible!  

https://www.insidelacrosse.com/team/vermont/19

Look at who they have played!!!!!

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, dslyank said:

Tried to watch the replay after I got home; but it was not up last night. So solely based on my live perspective, have to complain about a couple of things. Face-offs were terrible and a number of new players played wing yesterday (for the first time I think) and IMHO they were worse than the kids used before.The Burgmasters' (who have been @ wing sparingly this year) were the only wings who showed me anything yesterday. I also thought ground balls were terrible; felt worse than the 31-37 stats reported. Not only did the wings hardly get any; we gave up at least 2 EASY goals on ground balls that squirted out of scrums to wide open mass players.

2018 said we should have won 20-5, and I agree;  if we had done a better job on ground balls, mass would have scored less and UA more. Also, when mass made a run in the fourth, it was against some newbies on defense. However, I do not agree that mass is that bad a team. IMHO in a bad AmEast, they could finish 2nd or 3rd; partly because the league is just that bad and partly because I did not see mass yesterday being bad.

Reserve the right to change my opinions, if I am able to watch the replay later.

I do NOT agree, they are just okay at wing. Okay other wise they are SLOW, get beat all the time when they move to close def.  Sorry but they just should not be in on close D one on one they just get beat! 

6 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Dhluy started and played quite a bit. I think he may have a bit of a lingering injury, and when things were rolling they used it as an opportunity to rest him. I think Kozar went in for him, but got pulled when they made a bit of a late run and Erik went back in.

He did not play close D a lot from what I saw.  We were actually watching for him because he has been better there than Perla.  perla was much improved yesterday, may have been competition!

6 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Only newbie on defense was Kozar getting a few minutes in the 2nd and 4th quarter when he got pulled after giving up a gimmie goal in close.

Long poles on the wing other than Fillipowski had a rough day, and on face offs for some reason were both on our offensive side of the field a few times which game them fast breaks.

I agree and they keep rotating them.  Gleason is the best in my mind. Wings were lousy. Someone said the Burgs were good.  Not sure what they were looking at!!  Those two are slow, especially the older one!  Gets beat all the time one-onone,  all it takes is one step and it happens all the time - allows attackman the get an arm free to shoot because he gets caught flat footed.

5 hours ago, dslyank said:

He was in there a LOT, Got to learn to keep his feet moving, got beat on a couple because he slid when he should not have.

1 hour ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I just watched the replay and one thing I noticed, but didn't hear the announcers talk about and it looks like a pretty big change. To me it looks like the coaches are not running many two way middies anymore. The Burgmaster's still took some shifts both ways, but Ashton Bradley and Goldsmith were the two primary defensive middies. Ron John and Noah Taylor unless I missed it didn't take any deliberate defensive shifts as they would in the past. This probably has something to do with Tehoka playing a pure middie role now, but I like what I saw. It keeps our smaller, d middies fresher and I didn't see our d middies getting blow away.

Still need to change up the man down. I want to go back and look at the numbers, but I bet we are allowing close to 50% on man down opportunities. Watch how #4 doesn't close out on the last man down in the 4th quarter. SMH

We have talked about how slow he is.  Got to get these kids moving their feet,  Can NOT get caught flat footed against ANYBODy at this level of competition and THAT is one of our biggest problems with two way Middies and close defense right now!

14 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

I do NOT agree, they are just okay at wing. Okay other wise they are SLOW, get beat all the time when they move to close def.  Sorry but they just should not be in on close D one on one they just get beat! 

Did not say they were great on the wings; only better than pretty much every other wing rotation yesterday. And I absolutely agree with you they are a liability on close D. So have most of the two way middies, the last couple of years. Agree with 2018, used fewer two ways yesterday. Agree with coach in doing so; does not seem to have the horses to run two way middies any longer. Maybe just don't have the depth and/or skill to run two ways any longer; but I loved the strategy and it gave us a real advantage when we did have the kids and #s to do so.

• Like 1

I guess lowell worse than I thought. But Harvard like lowell is supposed to be very bad, beat BU who is getting top 20 votes. Just cannot figure this year. Maybe the only consistent is how bad the AmEast is. Hartford lost to a pretty poor Quinnipiac team. On the other hand UA beats a "very bad" lowell team and shows up again receiving top 20 votes after two weeks off the list. As someone on the blog said; wins against anybody effect ratings more than close loses to powers?

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dslyank said:

I guess lowell worse than I thought. But Harvard like lowell is supposed to be very bad, beat BU who is getting top 20 votes. Just cannot figure this year. Maybe the only consistent is how bad the AmEast is. Hartford lost to a pretty poor Quinnipiac team. On the other hand UA beats a "very bad" lowell team and shows up again receiving top 20 votes after two weeks off the list. As someone on the blog said; wins against anybody effect ratings more than close loses to powers?

Partly, I think it is just how crazy this year is. The top 4-5 teams seem to be separating themselves from the pack.

I do think the AE is as down as I can ever remember. Even when the overall conference was weak, UA, UMBC, or Stony Brook had strong squads. That's one of the reasons, while I liked what I saw on Saturday, I don't think we should officially say all is right now. The defense is still giving up too many goals, face off consistency is still a huge issue, and while overall turnovers seem to be improving, too many just silly ones at bad times.

• Like 1