UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

12 games - how many W's would satiate you?  

22 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

59 minutes ago, reeder said:

In my opinion, it’s a bit of both - Undercuffler has been great (Gattuso has always talked about the importance of a QB) but I don’t want to overlook Joe Davis either.

Also, moving Mencer to DE was a great move.

Agree a QB makes a HUGE difference. We have all seen that. VT was terrible, he had the name but that was about it.  Coach Davis makes some real boneheaded play calls but seems to be a good OFF Coordinator over-all.  On defense the kids are finally buying in I think.  PLUS they are finally bringing in some good JUCO players - those guys have college experience and don't typically need as much of the development that HS kids might need.  Of course they have to learn the system - that is why getting Dec. transfers is important.

A lot is also attitude and developing that 'chip on the shoulder' that you are good.  Makes everyone work harder, especially at practices, and play better.  Coaching has more to do with how the team succeeds than just having the right kids at the right positions and their position coaches teaching skills.  Has to do with scouting the team you are playing [much of this is done via video now a days; videos have to be broken down so coaches can determine tendencies - what plays are used more often in certain downs and distance situations for example.  [I remember traveling all over with scouting sheets a recording plays, tendencies etc.].  Also preparing the scout team so they will give the starters a good look at what the other team will do. And watching video to actually SEE the other team and understand their tendencies and players.  Most head coaches are more organizers and planners these days - they let positions coaches and assistants handle much of the load. But Coach Gatusso has stepped in this year to work with defensive linemen and it certainly has made a big difference.  

Edited by HOF2013

One thing that CANNOT be ignored.  Coach has stated (the other day) he has closeness with this group of players, a subtle nod to his own look inward to fix some things in the way he coaches.  I think that admission, and the work he put in, cannot be ignored.  It takes a strong person to make changes for the better.  Kudos to him, the staff, the kids, and the support staff. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, UAalum72 said:

The T-U story today said when he got his knee replacement he was able to move around and teach on the field during practice more. He's getting the other knee done after the season.

Absolutely made a difference on the D-Line this year, no question in my mind

This is only my opinion and many may disagree. I think the biggest difference this year is having a good QB!!!  The defense has been decent to very good over the years. The running game has been good to very good (last year not great) over the years but the passing game has been a mess. No more!  THAT to me is the biggest difference. 

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

This is only my opinion and many may disagree. I think the biggest difference this year is having a good QB!!!  The defense has been decent to very good over the years. The running game has been good to very good (last year not great) over the years but the passing game has been a mess. No more!  THAT to me is the biggest difference. 

I think QB and him re-arranging the staff was the biggest difference this year.

6 minutes ago, DanesRGood said:

Can't disagree at all.

I think the QB competence has been massively important. The team has also managed to avoid any big injuries. Quietly, the OLine has improved as it has gained more experience and the depth we’ve accumulated was used to plug some temporary holes. Mofor had a great year, but what has stuck out for me is the times he had a big run late to get a first down to help close out a game. Some of that is him, but without the big dudes up front he’d never get the chance. The discovery of a tight end again has helped. Returning to the QB...he had what, 33 tds and I think 9 ints? That’s OUTSTANDING! Nine was like a half for young Vincent. What’s scary to me is the number of times he threw into coverage for an incompletion when there were open receivers he missed by not going through his progressions. As great a year as he had, he could be a whole lot better as he gains experience, as long as they keep restocking the WR ranks and the OLine stays strong. 

Edited by jimbo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, jimbo said:

I think the QB competence has been massively important. The team has also managed to avoid any big injuries. Quietly, the OLine has improved as it has gained more experience and the depth we’ve accumulated was used to plug some temporary holes. Mofor had a great year, but what has stuck out for me is the times he had a big run late to get a first down to help close out a game. Some of that is him, but without the big dudes up front he’d never get the chance. The discovery of a tight end again has helped. Returning to the QB...he had what, 33 tds and I think 9 ints? That’s OUTSTANDING! Nine was like a half for young Vincent. What’s scary to me is the number of times he threw into coverage for an incompletion when there were open receivers he missed by not going through his progressions. As great a year as he had, he could be a whole lot better as he gains experience, as long as they keep restocking the WR ranks and the OLine stays strong. 

Well said.  They are going after a ton of WR, JUCO and HS.  Hopefully a couple will jump on board.  Also recruiting a couple of JUCO centers.  Will need a good one.  There are several good red-shirted WR and Linemen too.