UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

As the saying goes:  "Can't hit the broad side of a barn." Can't score man up or even on a clean break away. OK give some credit to the vt goalie; but shooting and man-up issue all year.

As much as I love the guy, got to lay the blame on Marr for this year. How do you go from a final four to ousted in the first round of the AmEast. I will NOT argue with anyone who says I'm wrong; but team never seemed prepared for the shot clock. Again, I won't argue with anyone who says can't blame Marr; that he just did not have the horses. But IMHO I still feel this team has/had the talent to be top 20. Obviously I'm wrong. Maybe coach and players both need to share the blame.

Maybe just blame Benson; after all, ALL major UA sports a bust this year. 

WAIT TO NEXT YEAR!! GO DANES.

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, dslyank said:

As the saying goes:  "Can't hit the broad side of a barn." Can't score man up or even on a clean break away. OK give some credit to the vt goalie; but shooting and man-up issue all year.

As much as I love the guy, got to lay the blame on Marr for this year. How do you go from a final four to ousted in the first round of the AmEast. I will NOT argue with anyone who says I'm wrong; but team never seemed prepared for the shot clock. Again, I won't argue with anyone who says can't blame Marr; that he just did not have the horses. But IMHO I still feel this team has/had the talent to be top 20. Obviously I'm wrong. Maybe coach and players both need to share the blame.

As I mentioned about a month ago, the big 3 men's sports, football, BB, and Lax in 2018-19 were a big disappointment.  Who knows what 2919-20 will bring.  Already discension on expectations on football board, BB should improve just due to experience we hope, and I am not sure where Lax will go.

• Like 1

I missed the game due to my son's track meet but followed on my phone.

We can blame Marr and the staff for a bad job this year but I really think most of this has to do with the losses from last year and the younger guys not being good enough to be a top 20 team again. I think there was a bit of a hangover and shock within the program about all the huge losses from last year and then the shock of TD leaving just took the program way too long to get over.  Then Tehoka doesn't come back to school until the spring I think was also a setback for the program.  All of this adds up to a down year.  We've had them in the past and will have them in the future.  Just lost too much to overcome. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, nysteve661 said:

As I mentioned about a month ago, the big 3 men's sports, football, BB, and Lax in 2018-19 were a big disappointment.  Who knows what 2919-20 will bring.  Already discension on expectations on football board, BB should improve just due to experience we hope, and I am not sure where Lax will go.

I am willing to give Coach Marr a hall pass this year. Not many teams have the sort of depth to lose five All Americans,  and have who is supposed to be your best player gone for the fall and lots of drama during the regular season.

Where I am not as kind is with the offense and the revolving door. While I am close to the team, I don't know everything that is going on, so maybe a few guys were a bit more banged up or were having off the field or classroom issues, but in the last game all of a sudden Casey isn't playing, Diamond is in, Ramierez is sort of playing.

Hard to win when you are 1-9 on man ups, Eccles is scoreless and Tehoka has one goal.

It was a bizarre season, but I never felt the boys gave up.

Some definite soul searching needs to happen over the off season. The conditioning program needs to to ramp up big time, and a lot of off season shooting.

• Like 1

It is obvious too early to start a look ahead thread?  But a couple of questions (for 2018 or anyone who wants to speculate):  why Ramos over Yoquinto {who pre-season was in the running for #1 in goal?}  why did Scott totally give up on Altimari (when Jones even healthy was only moderately successful & wings other than Weathersby last couple of games were a total bust?}

TOO early to speculate on transfer-outs:  Altamari [not even given a chance when everyone else failed]??  Tehoka [with the fall sabbatical, all the drama, going pro predictions---I'm guessing he stays; has a lot to prove.]??????????

ALL feel free to jump in; or wait a while if you prefer. These questions and a lot more will most certainly come-up again.

Edited by dslyank
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, DanesRGood said:

UMBC just beat SBU. 

I just noticed this today.  They rolled them on SB's turf.  I had thought if we got past UVM, would be tough to beat SB on road.  Ended up we would not have played them.  That makes it so frustrating on our uneven play all year and yesterday.  One minute solid lax, another minute jr high lax.

1 hour ago, dslyank said:

It is obvious too early to start a look ahead thread?  But a couple of questions (for 2018 or anyone who wants to speculate):  why Ramos over Yoquinto {who pre-season was in the running for #1 in goal?}  why did Scott totally give up on Altimari (when Jones even healthy was only moderately successful & wings other than Weathersby last couple of games were a total bust?}

TOO early to speculate on transfer-outs:  Altamari [not even given a chance when everyone else failed]??  Tehoka [with the fall sabbatical, all the drama, going pro predictions---I'm guessing he stays; has a lot to prove.]??????????

ALL feel free to jump in; or wait a while if you prefer. These questions and a lot more will most certainly come-up again.

Never to early for us great lacrosse minds to look ahead :D

First I want to thank all of the seniors. While I know this isn't the way  they wanted to go out, they never quit and were great leaders to the younger players.

I thought Ramos and Weathersby played with a lot of grit, especially given the circumstances. Will hadn't played a game in two years and after Jones hurt his hand Owen took all of the face offs. I don't have any idea how the goalie situation happened. If I had to guess I would say that Nate and Jason are fairly similar in terms of styles, and with Will being a smaller, quicker lefty maybe it was a different, uxexpected look, and his strength from what I know is in clearing and getting transition going.

I made myself watch the game again, and if the wings had been better getting gb's Weathersby would have been over fifty percent. In the age of specialization that is really good for a long pole. As far as Altamari, I heard that Anthony had something going on with his back and was in a lot of pain. I don't know if that is why he didn't play yesterday.

I don't have any sense on Tehoka's status going forward. I would be really surprised if he doesn't finish out his four years at Albany. I think he has a lot he wants to prove if nothing else.

To me the story of this season was the offensive revolving door, and that started in the fall with Tehoka's absence,  and Laffin and Yunker's injuries. I don't know how or why Diamond was in and out of the lineup as much as he was. Yesterday's game showed why he should have been in the line up. He did have some sort of injury in the middle of the season, but at the beginning he was buried deep on the depth chart. Yunker and McComber were inserted at times, and Yunker looked the quaterback of the future and then he disappeared.

The man up was just a disaster. Has a team ever been worse on 6 vs 4's? I'm not sure what to say about that other then that just shows the overall offensive woes other than the game against Cornell.

Face off's going forward Jonesy and Altamari have to get better in space, but Jones is the clear number one. Again I don't know how much of Anthony's lack of playing was injury or not.

Defense loses two starters in Perla and Dhuly and Gleason who played both close at times and on the wing.

Attack next year will come from Patterson, Diamond, Tehoka, Laffin, Yunker, Casey, Cavallo, and McComber. So basically anyone who got minutes is back next year. I guess that's a good thing and hopefully a lot of work goes in this summer. Next year's freshmen class has some offensive talent. So there is going to be a lot of guys fighting it out. Hopefully it is a more productive and injury free fall.

Midfield - I really expect one or two of the attack group to move to midfield. They are still looking for that Bennet Drake as the 4th guy out of the box. That guy didn't exist this year. Schwab, Bradley, Burgmaster, Ramierez, Goldsmith, and Ron John are the core group. I don't know if any of the incoming freshmen are potential middies. This looks like the biggest question mark.

All and all the only players of real significance we are losing are Jack Burgmaster and Sean Eccles. That makes me optimistic for next season. If everyone is on board for the fall there really is no excuse for not having a major offensive rebound.

On defense Kunz and Flip should anchor the close unit, and based upon what we saw Kozar is the next in line. Barrow. Spahr, and I would guess Hay are the LSM candidates. Overall I think Barrow had a solid season. I'm not sure what happened with Hay, but he went from being the top freshmen to not playing at all. I am counting on him to have a big rebound next season. I am guessing that Weathersby will be in the mix somewhere, and hopefully the FOGO situation gets more solid so that we are not using a lot of poles next season. I don't know anything about the incoming defensive freshmen.

All three goalies are back.

When you look at it the cupboard is very full so there is a lot to be optimistic about. Just about everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong this season. I had hoped that the team cold have overcome the graduation losses and transfer, but things got worse in the fall and never got much better.

• Like 1

On 5/2/2019 at 7:05 PM, DaneForLife said:

That wasn't the difference - man up offense and untimely turnovers.  The long pole gave the wings a ton of opportunities to get ground balls.

Well there were several where their FOGO just came out with ball and was uncontested - wings couldn't get there.

On 5/2/2019 at 7:46 PM, dslyank said:

Losing 6 All-Americans and the best FOGO in the country is how you can go from final four to nowhere.  Just saying!

• Like 1

23 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I am willing to give Coach Marr a hall pass this year. Not many teams have the sort of depth to lose five All Americans,  and have who is supposed to be your best player gone for the fall and lots of drama during the regular season.

Where I am not as kind is with the offense and the revolving door. While I am close to the team, I don't know everything that is going on, so maybe a few guys were a bit more banged up or were having off the field or classroom issues, but in the last game all of a sudden Casey isn't playing, Diamond is in, Ramierez is sort of playing.

Hard to win when you are 1-9 on man ups, Eccles is scoreless and Tehoka has one goal.

It was a bizarre season, but I never felt the boys gave up.

Some definite soul searching needs to happen over the off season. The conditioning program needs to to ramp up big time, and a lot of off season shooting.

I thought we were 1 of 10 - even worse.  Still 100% correct.  Possessing the ball even 4 or 5 times more goes a long way.   Lots of things go on in college sports that none of us know about.  Off year in all major sports.  We'll be back - I have no doubt.  Offensive issues are a concern to me as well.  I know I bitch about the Def a lot but this was not a typical Danes Offense.  Need a couple of real dodgers again.

9 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Never to early for us great lacrosse minds to look ahead :D

First I want to thank all of the seniors. While I know this isn't the way  they wanted to go out, they never quit and were great leaders to the younger players.

I thought Ramos and Weathersby played with a lot of grit, especially given the circumstances. Will hadn't played a game in two years and after Jones hurt his hand Owen took all of the face offs. I don't have any idea how the goalie situation happened. If I had to guess I would say that Nate and Jason are fairly similar in terms of styles, and with Will being a smaller, quicker lefty maybe it was a different, uxexpected look, and his strength from what I know is in clearing and getting transition going.

I made myself watch the game again, and if the wings had been better getting gb's Weathersby would have been over fifty percent. In the age of specialization that is really good for a long pole. As far as Altamari, I heard that Anthony had something going on with his back and was in a lot of pain. I don't know if that is why he didn't play yesterday.

I don't have any sense on Tehoka's status going forward. I would be really surprised if he doesn't finish out his four years at Albany. I think he has a lot he wants to prove if nothing else.

To me the story of this season was the offensive revolving door, and that started in the fall with Tehoka's absence,  and Laffin and Yunker's injuries. I don't know how or why Diamond was in and out of the lineup as much as he was. Yesterday's game showed why he should have been in the line up. He did have some sort of injury in the middle of the season, but at the beginning he was buried deep on the depth chart. Yunker and McComber were inserted at times, and Yunker looked the quaterback of the future and then he disappeared.

The man up was just a disaster. Has a team ever been worse on 6 vs 4's? I'm not sure what to say about that other then that just shows the overall offensive woes other than the game against Cornell.

Face off's going forward Jonesy and Altamari have to get better in space, but Jones is the clear number one. Again I don't know how much of Anthony's lack of playing was injury or not.

Defense loses two starters in Perla and Dhuly and Gleason who played both close at times and on the wing.

Attack next year will come from Patterson, Diamond, Tehoka, Laffin, Yunker, Casey, Cavallo, and McComber. So basically anyone who got minutes is back next year. I guess that's a good thing and hopefully a lot of work goes in this summer. Next year's freshmen class has some offensive talent. So there is going to be a lot of guys fighting it out. Hopefully it is a more productive and injury free fall.

Midfield - I really expect one or two of the attack group to move to midfield. They are still looking for that Bennet Drake as the 4th guy out of the box. That guy didn't exist this year. Schwab, Bradley, Burgmaster, Ramierez, Goldsmith, and Ron John are the core group. I don't know if any of the incoming freshmen are potential middies. This looks like the biggest question mark.

All and all the only players of real significance we are losing are Jack Burgmaster and Sean Eccles. That makes me optimistic for next season. If everyone is on board for the fall there really is no excuse for not having a major offensive rebound.

On defense Kunz and Flip should anchor the close unit, and based upon what we saw Kozar is the next in line. Barrow. Spahr, and I would guess Hay are the LSM candidates. Overall I think Barrow had a solid season. I'm not sure what happened with Hay, but he went from being the top freshmen to not playing at all. I am counting on him to have a big rebound next season. I am guessing that Weathersby will be in the mix somewhere, and hopefully the FOGO situation gets more solid so that we are not using a lot of poles next season. I don't know anything about the incoming defensive freshmen.

All three goalies are back.

When you look at it the cupboard is very full so there is a lot to be optimistic about. Just about everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong this season. I had hoped that the team cold have overcome the graduation losses and transfer, but things got worse in the fall and never got much better.

Pretty much agree.  Talk about things going wrong!! When have you ever seen a missed pass go in for goal AND the goalie drop the ball for a goal in the same game??  I personally do not like Flip or Barrow,  Barrow is just plain slow.  Last two games it was obvious - not much else to say.  Remember the big kid from Oregon got hurt and was out for the year.  The FOGO from LI has super fast hands [the one in two years from Victor is even faster].  I have watched all of the recruits on film - A LOT  [a couple don't seem to have any available].  The kids who did not play much this year will play a lot next I would guess.  Got a couple of great attacks coming next year.  We'll see if there is a dodger in the group.  On film there looks to be!  I started liking Ron John a lot late in the season. One of the few guys who actually tried to get inside to take shots. Patterson stopped going inside for the most part - do NOT understand why.  Hay and Weathersby should be good at middie I would guess [over-all Owen did a great job - even though I don't like the concept, I do understand it].  Both tall and fast.  - got to get in the weight room and add some pounds!!!  I think we are loaded too.  Lots of young guys this year.  Much playing experience will be back.  Should be better with help at FOGO!  May be expecting too much from the incoming Freshman - Jones does not seem to have hands a quick.  I LOVE Romas' quick clears.  He did a great job - never played in a game before, right?

Edited by HOF2013
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Pretty much agree.  Talk about things going wrong!! When have you ever seen a missed pass go in for goal AND the goalie drop the ball for a goal in the same game??  I personally do not like Flip or Barrow,  Barrow is just plain slow.  Last two games it was obvious - not much else to say.  Remember the big kid from Oregon got hurt and was out for the year.  The FOGO from LI has super fast hands [the one in two years from Victor is even faster].  I have watched all of the recruits on film - A LOT  [a couple don't seem to have any available].  The kids who did not play much this year will play a lot next I would guess.  Got a couple of great attacks coming next year.  We'll see if there is a dodger in the group.  On film there looks to be!  I started liking Ron John a lot late in the season. One of the few guys who actually tried to get inside to take shots. Patterson stopped going inside for the most part - do NOT understand why.  Hay and Weathersby should be good at middie I would guess [over-all Owen did a great job - even though I don't like the concept, I do understand it].  Both tall and fast.  - got to get in the weight room and add some pounds!!!  I think we are loaded too.  Lots of young guys this year.  Much playing experience will be back.  Should be better with help at FOGO!  May be expecting too much from the incoming Freshman - Jones does not seem to have hands a quick.  I LOVE Romas' quick clears.  He did a great job - never played in a game before, right?

Forgot to mention the pass goal, the one that dropped in from Ramos's stick, and the rebound goal. That really is our season in a nutshell. 

There is a lot of young talent on this team. On top of the guys you mentioned, Swingruber was also hurt all season and Sands blew out his knee very early, although from what I saw and heard he was a work in progress. I do think Yunker and McComber will continue to develop, but as you said a lot of guys need to pump some serious iron this off season, and a lot of shooting needs to happen. I think I saw our shooting percentage was down around 26% this season which isn't going to get it done and it didn't. if I were in the log jam at attack I would spend all summer running, shooting, and working on my alley and split dodges and make an impact at midfield. 

The one thing I want to see this summer and fall is a recommitment to physical conditioning. As far as I know we are one of the few programs which doesn't give the team a dedicated strength program over the summer, and in recent history we have moved away from run tests.

I need to research our commits, but I thought the FOGO was a 2020 unless they got someone late in the 2019 class, but we clearly need more competition at that position. Like you I am not a fan of the long pole FOGO, especially, if all they are going to do is stand there and the only HOPE is creating a turnover. Owen was clearly the best option with the long pole and wonder why it took so long for him to get a shot, but unless he turns into C.J. Costabile, we need a top tier, traditional FOGO. Jonesy has the skill, but just needs to work on his agility and ball handling this summer.

Only thing I disagree on is Flip and Pat. Flip was playing out of position IMO. He is a big boy, and not a traditional LSM, but was forced into action. I want to say he led the team in caused turn overs. 

21 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Gleason redshirted 2016. Do you know if he is leaving for sure? Has another year of eligibility and I think he was at least as good as Perla and Dhuly.

LIKE the optimisms 2018 & Hof!  I feel better already, THANKS.

Also, forgot about the 3 weird goals in the vt game:  ball falls out of stick, into goal,  bad pass trickles in for a goal and the weird rebound goal. Along with Patterson's wide open break away miss. Like you say story of our season; a lot of BAD luck and I did not know about the injured freshman. Confident we will be BACK next year!