UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

5 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

I didn't ask about what was wrong, but of the three, only Skidders seemed to be favoring anything. I don't know what is going on with Ron John or the knee brace on Fillipowski. 

Davis played a decent amount, and played well, but with a healthy Patterson don't see how he jumps into the top 4-5. Yunker played really well as the recipient of feeds from Tehoka. Casey is interesting. He had some nice feeds from behind the cage to guys cutting towards the goal.

All of a sudden there is a some really good depth. The one thing when you watch Penn play that I don't think we have is that outside sniper who can stretch a defense. Burgmaster definitely has that potential, but overall we are just a so so shooting team from the midfield.

A few other tidbits I picked up. If anyone saw the fall games last year, Albany got man handled, especially by Army. It was an accurate preview of a pretty down year. I don't want to read too much into two games in October, but the one thing that stood out in both games is that the Danes competed and looked the part this fall. The face off situation is still a concern, because once again the coaches went straight to long poles when the FOGO's lost one or two. The poles I have seen between Barrow, Weathersby, and Piseno have been effective when used, but just way too often IMO.

The physical nature of practice has also picked up. A lot more running and physical practices and the team was tired coming into the games and still played very tough.

Penn should be a pre season top 5 team, and I think if our starting goalie had played it would have been a very close game.

Thanks for the reporting.  I wonder what is up with the freshman who didn't play as well.  Did the freshman FOGO play at all??

15 minutes ago, HOF2013 said:

Thanks for the reporting.  I wonder what is up with the freshman who didn't play as well.  Did the freshman FOGO play at all??

No idea what the nature of the injuries are to the the freshmen. As I said Skidders appeared to be favoring an ankle. Just walking around the other two guys seemed find so maybe upper body???

The freshmen FOGO did get some work, and at least against real competition he was no better than 2nd or 3rd. As I said in an earlier post Altamari barely got any work. I am guessing no more than five over both games, but I could be wrong. Jones did a great job winning the draw against Army, but once again was a bit careless with the ball a few times. The freshman is the more athletic of the three IMO, but at least right now he definitely is not an immediate upgrade. Fingar and LaPietro look like Big 10 or ACC middies. They have a lot of upside and we haven't had two middies like that since Osika. Hogg was pretty impressive as well, and will push a few guys.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again for the reports. Was @ last years fall ball games and you are RIGHT-ON about UA being pushed around and a portent of things to come. Very GLAD to hear not the case this fall; and the increased physicality of practices; and strong 2019-2020 class. FOGO help could be still a year away. Still think Casey could be our outside threat/snipper.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, AlbanyFan2018 said:

No idea what the nature of the injuries are to the the freshmen. As I said Skidders appeared to be favoring an ankle. Just walking around the other two guys seemed find so maybe upper body???

The freshmen FOGO did get some work, and at least against real competition he was no better than 2nd or 3rd. As I said in an earlier post Altamari barely got any work. I am guessing no more than five over both games, but I could be wrong. Jones did a great job winning the draw against Army, but once again was a bit careless with the ball a few times. The freshman is the more athletic of the three IMO, but at least right now he definitely is not an immediate upgrade. Fingar and LaPietro look like Big 10 or ACC middies. They have a lot of upside and we haven't had two middies like that since Osika. Hogg was pretty impressive as well, and will push a few guys.

I agree , thanks for the reporting.  In the fall I am all FB.

17 hours ago, HOF2013 said:

Thanks for posting. There was a guy sitting on the field taking notes during the first half of the game against Army so that must have been the guy who wrote this. The main point from the article which is really accurate is when Marr says the team is ahead of where they were last year. I would say it isn't even close. I guess the big message last weekend was compete, and they did.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/13/2019 at 7:13 PM, AlbanyFan2018 said:

Thanks for the information.

"It was a rough year for Tehoka Nanticoke and UAlbany. But all indications from summer and fall show that Nanticoke is in great shape and ready to return to the form we saw from him his freshman season." Chris Cecere Photo
HEADstrong scrimmages

FROM IL article 10 things learned from Fall Ball.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, dslyank said:

"It was a rough year for Tehoka Nanticoke and UAlbany. But all indications from summer and fall show that Nanticoke is in great shape and ready to return to the form we saw from him his freshman season." Chris Cecere Photo
HEADstrong scrimmages

FROM IL article 10 things learned from Fall Ball.

I would agree with that. In the fall games he was aggressive when it called for it and was more of a feeder. I only wish that Patterson had been able to play in the fall to build on the chemistry. Should be a lot more offensive firepower this year, but shooting efficiency from the midfield still needs to be a big off season priority. 

My early prediction is a nice bounce back season, but I still think the Danes are a year away from a return to top tier. I think the Danes are a legit 15-20 this year, and possibly a bit better if they figure out the face off situation.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...