Jump to content



UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

Recruiting - 2021


Recommended Posts

He was a big time recruit out of HS.  Outside of an offer from Albany, his next three “lowest” offers were Vermont, UMASS, and St Bonaventure. Aside from injuries, he never had a chance at Pitt with fellow frosh Justin Champagnie taking minutes. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

40 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Considering we all thought DK was gonna get some stems and seeds and one year wonder grad transfers so far it’s an impressive haul.  He’s casting a very wide net for sure 

Pieces are there. Now let’s see if they can bring this new group together on the court come the fall

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, UA'08 said:

Is this what you wanted lol!

Hahaha.... it's a good start... We can get these guys. (Even though some say we cant.) Coach seems to be a personality that relates to these kids. They get excited for the chance to play for him. I truly believe we can up our recruiting and level of play under Coach DK. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Still need another BIG I think. Doles & Taylor (if they both come back?) IS IT as they say. And neither Doles nor Taylor a true center. Maybe Hanks steps up??

Would LOVE to see a freshman big man or two who can be brought around slowly and stay for all 4. Not saying would not want a stud @ the 5; but would probably move up after a year or so.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, dslyank said:

Still need another BIG I think. Doles & Taylor (if they both come back?) IS IT as they say. And neither Doles nor Taylor a true center. Maybe Hanks steps up??

Would LOVE to see a freshman big man or two who can be brought around slowly and stay for all 4. Not saying would not want a stud @ the 5; but would probably move up after a year or so.

All mid-majors would love to a freshman big man....someone who comes in their own in their sophomore year....however if that happen a better than even chance moving on up under current NCAA portel transfer rules.... my evaluation of recruitment will come as the wins and losses occur

Link to comment
Share on other sites

We have offered at least two bigs for 2022, both freshman.

For this year, we should be in a good spot if the team remains as is, plus whatever Coach DK adds with the remaining scholarships (forget what we have left).  The current team, if everyone who has entered the portal (and has not signed elsewhere yet) stays:

PG: Jamel Horton (2 yrs), Will Amica (technically 5 years?!  don't know how the RS would work considering they all got their years back for last year); JoJo Anderson (1 yr)

SG:Chuck Champion (1 yr); Ny'Mire Little (5 years...if he Redshirts); 

Wing/SF: Sam Schafer (3 yrs); Dre Perry (1 yr); Gerald Drumgoole (3 years); Matt Cerutti (1 yr)

PF: Kellon Taylor (1 yr)Trey Hutcheson (3 yrs)

C Jarvis Doles (2 yrs); Paul Newman (1 yr)

By my count, that would give us 1 more scholarship if all the above stay...and it WOULD NOT surprise me if Coach DK keeps that scholarship open for the 2022 cycle or a late midyear transfer (so he can offer a 2022 early).  

Literally almost NO ONE on that list could be fit into a specific position per se, and I have zero idea what kind of offense Coach DK wants to run and who fits that style.  Interesting to me is that Horton actually had almost a 3 to 1 A/T ratio, a number that I did not expect.  On paper, except for Schafer, Hutch, and Cerutti, this team is very long and athletic.  I actually think Schafer is a sneaky kind of player that could breakout.  

Amica will definitely need to start getting time to see what we have there.

IMHO, this is a team that has a lot of guys who can do multiple things, and this will give Coach DK some good lineup flexibility.   I can see all type of lineups employed

 

Edited by Dane96
Link to comment
Share on other sites

That dunk at about 0:20 in the the video 😤😤😤 Some of those passes were really nice too. If Drumgoole can be half the player his highlight video showed, he'll be pretty successful here.

I haven't seen any indication one way or the other on Kellon Taylor returning. Doles on the other hand has been in almost all of the practice videos that have been posted on social media and has been retweeting basically all of the UA stuff - couple that with his saying he'd like to return while keeping his options open and I think that we'll see him back next year for sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, blorp said:

That dunk at about 0:20 in the the video 😤😤😤 Some of those passes were really nice too. If Drumgoole can be half the player his highlight video showed, he'll be pretty successful here.

I haven't seen any indication one way or the other on Kellon Taylor returning. Doles on the other hand has been in almost all of the practice videos that have been posted on social media and has been retweeting basically all of the UA stuff - couple that with his saying he'd like to return while keeping his options open and I think that we'll see him back next year for sure

Yep, see post above.  If I had to guess, two guys that MIGHT not be back could be Anderson and Taylor.  I think Anderson would likely need to go D2 to get time (not saying he's a D2 guy...he's not...but injuries have not helped him), so he may stay. 

If Taylor leaves, I can see a starting lineup (mere example without knowing how players progress, the offensive scheme, how players play defense in the scheme) of: Horton, Drumgoole, Perry, Doles, and Newman.  That's an AE MONSTER sized athletic lineup of 6'4; 6'6; 6'7; 6'9; and 6'9

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 4/22/2021 at 2:05 PM, Dane96 said:

We have offered at least two bigs for 2022, both freshman.

For this year, we should be in a good spot if the team remains as is, plus whatever Coach DK adds with the remaining scholarships (forget what we have left).  The current team, if everyone who has entered the portal (and has not signed elsewhere yet) stays:

PG: Jamel Horton (2 yrs), Will Amica (technically 5 years?!  don't know how the RS would work considering they all got their years back for last year); JoJo Anderson (1 yr)

SG:Chuck Champion (1 yr); Ny'Mire Little (5 years...if he Redshirts); 

Wing/SF: Sam Schafer (3 yrs); Dre Perry (1 yr); Gerald Drumgoole (3 years); Matt Cerutti (1 yr)

PF: Kellon Taylor (1 yr)Trey Hutcheson (3 yrs)

C Jarvis Doles (2 yrs); Paul Newman (1 yr)

By my count, that would give us 1 more scholarship if all the above stay...and it WOULD NOT surprise me if Coach DK keeps that scholarship open for the 2022 cycle or a late midyear transfer (so he can offer a 2022 early).  

Literally almost NO ONE on that list could be fit into a specific position per se, and I have zero idea what kind of offense Coach DK wants to run and who fits that style.  Interesting to me is that Horton actually had almost a 3 to 1 A/T ratio, a number that I did not expect.  On paper, except for Schafer, Hutch, and Cerutti, this team is very long and athletic.  I actually think Schafer is a sneaky kind of player that could breakout.  

Amica will definitely need to start getting time to see what we have there.

IMHO, this is a team that has a lot of guys who can do multiple things, and this will give Coach DK some good lineup flexibility.   I can see all type of lineups employed

 

I hope he picks up a other 4/5 big...if even one of those 4 is injured could really hurt with so little depth upfront and Hutch is a pretty small 4. 

  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...