UAlbany Athletics- America East-
SOCIAL MEDIA: UAlbany Facebook- UAlbany Instagram- UAlbany Twitter- UAlbany Blog-
MEDIA: Albany Student Press- America East TV- ESPN3- Schenectady Gazette- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio- The Team 104.5 ESPN Radio Archive interviews- Times Union College Sports- Times Union Sports- WCDB- WOFX 980-
FALL SPORTS LINKS: CAA Football-
WINTER SPORTS LINKS: College Insider- Pomeroy Ratings- Real TimeRPI-
SPRING SPORTS LINKS: Inside Lacrosse- Lax Power Backup Stick-
OTHER FORUMS: America East Forum- Any Given Saturday Forum- Championship Subdivision forum(1-AA Discussion) The Hen House - Siena Forum- Stony Brook Forum- Vermont Forum

2020 Football - A Look Ahead

39 minutes ago, Jammaster said:

This conversation is a vicious cycle, but fwiw, absolutely Trump influenced folks when he continued for months to say that masks were unnecessary. There was a news report at a beach in Alabama where numerous young people interviewed said they're skipping the mask because "even Trump" knows it's BS." Several of those college students then got the virus not long after. And how many passed it on to their parents or grandparents? Now multiply that by many thousands across the country who just needed the smallest reason-—let alone a constant one from the leader of the free world and his VP--to decide a mask was silly. 

Alternatively, if he did have zero effect on the American public by continuously flouting the advice of every health professional in the world, what does that say about his chops as a leader?

You conveniently forget that none other than the great Dr Fauci expressly told people at the start of this epidemic that they should not wear masks and only a couple weeks ago came clean and admitted he intentionally misled the public. What about Fauci? Alabama beach anecdotal evidence regarding masks? When Fauci told people not to wear them? Young people are not following any rules because they are young people and believe they are invincible. Young people use condoms, don’t binge drink, don’t drive drunk, don’t party all night, don’t take illegal drugs because somebody told them not to do it? OMG...do you honestly believe they take their behavioral cues from authority figures? I don’t know how old you are, but you must have been young at some point. 

40 minutes ago, jimbo said:

You conveniently forget that none other than the great Dr Fauci expressly told people at the start of this epidemic that they should not wear masks and only a couple weeks ago came clean and admitted he intentionally misled the public. What about Fauci? Alabama beach anecdotal evidence regarding masks? When Fauci told people not to wear them? Young people are not following any rules because they are young people and believe they are invincible. Young people use condoms, don’t binge drink, don’t drive drunk, don’t party all night, don’t take illegal drugs because somebody told them not to do it? OMG...do you honestly believe they take their behavioral cues from authority figures? I don’t know how old you are, but you must have been young at some point. 

It's a fair point that young people are gonna do what they do...but if you think the notion "even Trump says it's BS" doesn't have some effect on young people, but also on their parents, grandparents, and tons of others who can safely say "if the president doesn't do it, why should I," then you are basically saying the president is a meaningless figure. And we know from polling that many folks take their cue from him.

Regardless of mistakes, Fauci corrected any question about masks around Memorial Day. When the numbers were still moving in a decent direction.

I truly hope no one you know dies from this. I have known several, including two guys (fathers) in their early 50s, with no underlying conditions. I'd rather have not one more person die and you can tell me I was wrong about Trump and masks and everything else months down the road. And I'll buy you a beer as an apology.

I continue my daily routine of good thoughts, wishes and even a prayer, in hopes that conditions improve so that when September arrives that there will be a full fall sports schedule 📅.  Until then, I will continue the steps that has kept my family safe.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jammaster said:

It's a fair point that young people are gonna do what they do...but if you think the notion "even Trump says it's BS" doesn't have some effect on young people, but also on their parents, grandparents, and tons of others who can safely say "if the president doesn't do it, why should I," then you are basically saying the president is a meaningless figure. And we know from polling that many folks take their cue from him.

Regardless of mistakes, Fauci corrected any question about masks around Memorial Day. When the numbers were still moving in a decent direction.

I truly hope no one you know dies from this. I have known several, including two guys (fathers) in their early 50s, with no underlying conditions. I'd rather have not one more person die and you can tell me I was wrong about Trump and masks and everything else months down the road. And I'll buy you a beer as an apology.

I agree with you but I still think we give young people too much credit. I mean, they did just vandalize a Frederick Douglas statue and burn a statue of an Elk (because that's somehow oppressive) recently. 

Not to brag (lol?) but I'm probably closer to my 'younger' years than many of you and that being said, my interaction with people 5-10 years younger than me results in me having the opinion that many young people are borderline dumb. Even if Trump did wear a mask every briefing, you'd still get a lot of them that wouldn't cause of peer pressure (something that is irrelevant once you get older or at least it is to me - I generally couldn't care less what strangers think of me), it being uncool or unfashionable, etc. Remember, these are the kids who eat tide pods and cinnamon by the spoonful and then post about it on Facebook for the world to see 🤣

Many young people today not only lack knowledge of history (US or world) but also the common sense to make sound decisions. 

Edited by Eli
  • Like 1

On 7/5/2020 at 12:44 PM, jimbo said:

Aren’t you the guy who thinks that Trump not wearing a mask has some sort of measurable impact on whether or not the masses wear a mask? If all he has to do is wear a mask and the masses will follow, that makes him a heck of a leader. I get it, you don’t like him....but you live on the LEFT coast and that makes you ordinary in terms of views for your community.  There are a lot of thinking people that see that the relentless media criticism, endless baseless lawsuits, endless baseless investigations and the like have certainly had an impact as to how he reacts and is quick to strike back. I won’t list accomplishments because that would be boring and anyway you probably think they establish his fascist CV for all time.  There’s a lot of folks, me included, who really don’t like him personally and wish there was an alternative. But that’s the problem. Right now there isn’t.  Since the other side is no longer liberal, but has gone flat out leftist, that makes it a simple binary choice for like minded people. I may think he’s an egotistical jerk with a short fuse and questionable morals, but if he’s manning the wall against the left he’s MY egotistical jerk with questionable morals.  And that’s the bottom line for me. 

Leaders lead.  If you don't think that him wearing a mask would have influenced the governors of certain states to strongly suggest mask wearing (Florida, Texas, Arizona) and shown more caution during the holiday weekends then you don't understand how politics works in 2020.  You go against Trump, you don't last long without facing the ire of the base.  The same base that put most of those people in office.   And... show me a list of these "thinking people" that have bonafides in political theory and criticism, heck, I'll even take a non-bias journalist, or even a traditional conservative like George Will.   And leftist? What do you think Social Security is? Or the fact that we all went to a STATE university?  And I would actually like to see these accomplishments.  Saying "you won't agree with them" shouldn't make them any less significant if they are legitimate.  But if you're only bar is "he's against the leftists" I'm not sure that makes your argument much better than say..Qanon.  

Edited by BestDaneSinceHamlet
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

Leaders lead.  If you don't think that him wearing a mask would have influenced the governors of certain states to strongly suggest mask wearing (Florida, Texas, Arizona) and shown more caution during the holiday weekends then you don't understand how politics works in 2020.  You go against Trump, you don't last long without facing the ire of the base.  The same base that put most of those people in office.   And... show me a list of these "thinking people" that have bonafides in political theory and criticism, heck, I'll even take a non-bias journalist, or even a traditional conservative like George Will.   And leftist? What do you think Social Security is? Or the fact that we all went to a STATE university?  And I would actually like to see these accomplishments.  Saying "you won't agree with them" shouldn't make them any less significant if they are legitimate.  But if you're only bar is "he's against the leftists" I'm not sure that makes your argument much better than say..Qanon.  

Probably...or maybe not....I’m just getting tired of everything and talking about everything so I’ll bow out and think good thoughts to keep the BP in check and the stomach acid at manageable levels. I can confirm though that Eli is a relative youngster compared to geezers like me, so he’s probably way more plugged in to the kiddos. When you see some of the videos of man on the street or girl on the beach and they are asking the most basic questions about America and politics and they get blank stares and laughter. I have to agree. Lots of complete dummies out there who can tell you the name of every pop culture person, but couldn’t identify the first President if you spotted them George and a W. Scary that they can vote. I’d believe Qanon before Schiff or Pelosi since you brought it up, but I did have to google qanon. 

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, jimbo said:

I’d believe Qanon before Schiff or Pelosi since you brought it up, but I did have to google qanon. 

So you'd take a pedophile pizza restaurant run by Hilary Clinton over say...any potential interference in our elections.  Got it. (Everyone else please follow Jimbo's lead and please google Qanon prior to thinking I'm a crazy person.  There is a large part of Trump's fanatic base that believe Qanon to be real.  That's nuts).  Steve Bannon is getting his way.  Such severe distrust in the government that nothing gets done. 

Edited by BestDaneSinceHamlet

29 minutes ago, BestDaneSinceHamlet said:

So you'd take a pedophile pizza restaurant run by Hilary Clinton over say...any potential interference in our elections.  Got it. (Everyone else please follow Jimbo's lead and please google Qanon prior to thinking I'm a crazy person.  There is a large part of Trump's fanatic base that believe Qanon to be real.  That's nuts).  Steve Bannon is getting his way.  Such severe distrust in the government that nothing gets done. 

So easy to trigger.....so easy...🤣🤣

17 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

The Ivy League has cancelled all sports until 2021. Not a shock. Probably the first domino to fall in the chain.

In today's Albany Times Union, the article covering the Ivy League decision stated that fall sports may be moved to Spring 2021.  Unless the COVID-19 virus tests for participating fall sports athletes at Division 1 schools is virtually nothing, I can see this concept taking off quickly.

2 hours ago, cwdickens said:

In today's Albany Times Union, the article covering the Ivy League decision stated that fall sports may be moved to Spring 2021.  Unless the COVID-19 virus tests for participating fall sports athletes at Division 1 schools is virtually nothing, I can see this concept taking off quickly.

I have my doubts.

There's been a lot of magical thinking over the past couple of months about this virus. I don't see things going back to "normal" until summer of 2021. I'd be really, really happy to be wrong about it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dane Pound said:

I have my doubts.

There's been a lot of magical thinking over the past couple of months about this virus. I don't see things going back to "normal" until summer of 2021. I'd be really, really happy to be wrong about it.

...Actually you could be right however the trend seems on my quick analysis:  Can colleges and universities get through the fall academic semester dealing with COVID-19 without dealing with the additional distractions of sports and the COVID-19.  Starting then cancelling an event(s) or a season would be frustrating for everyone, athletes, parents, coaches and fans.

1 hour ago, cwdickens said:

...Actually you could be right however the trend seems on my quick analysis:  Can colleges and universities get through the fall academic semester dealing with COVID-19 without dealing with the additional distractions of sports and the COVID-19.  Starting then cancelling an event(s) or a season would be frustrating for everyone, athletes, parents, coaches and fans.

I think colleges and universities know that if they announce an all-online fall semester a lot of kids are going to take a gap year and those colleges and universities will lose a lot of money. Maybe they'll come up with some kind of 50% capacity plan. Either way, it doesn't look great for sports. Honestly, that's probably the least of my concerns right now but this is a sports message board.